Re: Panther gVim

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 21, 2003
      On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:59:00AM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-10-21T09:34:40]
      > > Panther is due out in a few days. I will be pleasantly surprised
      > > if Vim.app is included. In the mean time, I still get occasional
      > > requests for a version that works on Panther. (I cannot upgrade from
      > > Jaguar until I buy a bigger hard drive for my PowerBook.) Does anyone
      > > have a working version? If I compile a version on Jaguar without Perl
      > > support, is it likely to run on Panther?
      >
      > I compiled gVim (Vim.app) from CVS on Panther just a few days ago. I've
      > attached the output of :ver
      >
      > --
      > rjbs

      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Oct 19 2003 23:07:42)
      > MacOS X (unix) version
      > Included patches: 1-127
      > Compiled by rjbs@...
      > Normal version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      [snip]
      > +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby
      [snip]

      I am glad to hear it works OOTB. From your :version output, it
      looks as though you included Normal features; I usually compile Huge
      versions. The first report is that my version with -perl -python
      (compiled on Jaguar) also works on Panther, so we can stick with that
      for now. If you (or any other volunteer) can compile a version with
      +perl (and maybe also +python) that runs on Panther, I will be happy to
      post it at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ .

      --Benji Fisher
    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 21, 2003
        * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-10-21T13:59:05]
        > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:59:00AM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > > I compiled gVim (Vim.app) from CVS on Panther just a few days ago. I've
        > > attached the output of :ver
        >
        > I am glad to hear it works OOTB. From your :version output, it looks
        > as though you included Normal features; I usually compile Huge
        > versions. The first report is that my version with -perl -python
        > (compiled on Jaguar) also works on Panther, so we can stick with that
        > for now. If you (or any other volunteer) can compile a version with
        > +perl (and maybe also +python) that runs on Panther, I will be happy
        > to post it at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ .

        It compiled with huge features with no complaints. --enable-perlinterp
        did not work and I don't use Perl in Vim, so I'm not sure where to begin
        dealing with it.

        Another nice thing would be for `vim` to open the same binary as
        Vim.app; I don't know enough about MacOS to know whether that's
        possible.

        --
        rjbs
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 21, 2003
          On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:35:34PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-10-21T13:59:05]
          > > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:59:00AM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > > > I compiled gVim (Vim.app) from CVS on Panther just a few days ago. I've
          > > > attached the output of :ver
          > >
          > > I am glad to hear it works OOTB. From your :version output, it looks
          > > as though you included Normal features; I usually compile Huge
          > > versions. The first report is that my version with -perl -python
          > > (compiled on Jaguar) also works on Panther, so we can stick with that
          > > for now. If you (or any other volunteer) can compile a version with
          > > +perl (and maybe also +python) that runs on Panther, I will be happy
          > > to post it at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ .
          >
          > It compiled with huge features with no complaints. --enable-perlinterp
          > did not work and I don't use Perl in Vim, so I'm not sure where to begin
          > dealing with it.

          I cannot help there.

          > Another nice thing would be for `vim` to open the same binary as
          > Vim.app; I don't know enough about MacOS to know whether that's
          > possible.

          You could make /usr/bin/vim a symbolic link to the executable in
          Vim.app . For example, if you keep Vim.app in /Applications , then

          % sudo ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim /usr/bin/vim

          ought to do it. If you want to get rid of the old binary (and runtime
          files) you should also do the same with /usr/bin/vi . See the FAQ's at

          http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

          for similar suggestions.

          Of course, this will create problems with updating. What happens
          to those symbolic links if Apple decides to update the system vi[m] as
          part of Software Update 10.3.1.17 ?

          --Benji Fisher
        • Eugene Lee
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 21, 2003
            : >
            :
            : You could make /usr/bin/vim a symbolic link to the executable in
            : Vim.app . For example, if you keep Vim.app in /Applications , then
            :
            : % sudo ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim /usr/bin/vim

            I prefer not to mess with system-installed stuff. A less destruction
            solution is to create a shell alias. A simple Bourne shell solution:

            $ alias vim /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

            --
            Eugene Lee
            eugene at anime dot net
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 21, 2003
              On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 02:54 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

              > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:35:34PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              >
              >> Another nice thing would be for `vim` to open the same binary as
              >> Vim.app; I don't know enough about MacOS to know whether that's
              >> possible.
              >
              > You could make /usr/bin/vim a symbolic link to the executable in
              > Vim.app . For example, if you keep Vim.app in /Applications , then
              >
              > % sudo ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim /usr/bin/vim
              >
              > ought to do it.

              On my machine I have created an oldfashioned /usr/local directory tree
              and added /usr/local/bin to my PATH - no interference with the system
              binaries, and easy to back up, too.

              Cheers,
              Lars
              --
              Lars Duening; lars@...
              GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 23, 2003
                Benji Fisher wrote:

                > First problem:
                >
                > % ./Vim
                > :gui
                >
                > does not work. A gVim window opens, but the Terminal keeps focus and
                > still shows the vim window. Keyboard input goes to the Terminal window
                > and vim commands do not affect either window. I have to ctrl-z (or
                > switch to another Terminal window) and kill the process.

                Did this ever work for a Carbon version? I thought ":gui" only worked
                for X-Windows versions (Motif, GTK).

                I now tried ":gui" with the new version you uploaded. It works, but Vim
                doesn't fork, thus the terminal doesn't go back to the shell. I think
                the forking was disabled in the past. Perhaps it does work in this
                Carbon version now.

                > Second problem (minor):
                >
                > The first time I tried 'make install', Stuffit Expander was too
                > slow. I got a helpful message, but it was just barely visible in the
                > Terminal window. I suggest moving the lines
                >
                > @echo
                > @echo "--------------------"
                > @echo "If this fails, run make install again after StuffIt Expander quits."
                > @echo "--------------------"
                > @echo
                >
                > to the 'install_macosx' target, or maybe the 'bundle-rsrc' target.

                Can't we add a small shell script that hangs around until the files that
                are to be unpacked exist?

                while test ! -f some_file; do
                sleep 1
                done

                > Third problem:
                >
                > I tried enabling perl, python, ruby, and tcl (why not?) in the
                > Makefile. I get warnings about precompiled headers, which I have long
                > gnored, and also

                Those precompiled header warnings are irritating, especially since I
                can't find a way to recompile the headers...

                > gcc: unrecognized option '-pthread'
                >
                > and then ruby.c does not compile. Removing Ruby, I still get the gcc
                > warning above and then a problem in linking:
                >
                > ld: can't locate file for: -ldl

                This is probably caused by one of the configure checks that include
                specific compile arguments. This is tricky, but there is no other way
                to obtain those compiler arguments. The configure checks could be made
                more robust. A language should be disabled when compiling/linking fails
                after adding compiler flags for the language.

                > Other things work well: 'make test' runs smoothly, and I can drag
                > a file icon onto the Vim icon in the Dock. I think I will not have time
                > today to try Perl, Python, Tcl, and Ruby separately, but I will try to
                > get one or two working binaries uploaded before I quit for the day.

                I'm glad we are making progress. And I haven't heard serious problems
                with the new way of producing the Carbon version, this seems to be the
                right way to go.

                --
                Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

              • Eric Y. Kow
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 23, 2003
                  On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:54:39 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                  > > @echo "--------------------"
                  > > @echo "If this fails, run make install again after StuffIt Expander quits."
                  > > @echo "--------------------"

                  > Can't we add a small shell script that hangs around until the files that
                  > are to be unpacked exist?
                  >
                  > while test ! -f some_file; do
                  > sleep 1
                  > done

                  good point... the file we want is gui_mac.rsrc.
                  There's probably some resource-fork business that I don't understand
                  (which is the reason why we can't just supply gui_mac.rsrc) but this is
                  at least better than nothing.

                  --
                  Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
                  PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon français.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 24, 2003
                    Eric Y. Kow wrote:

                    > On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:54:39 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.ne=
                    > t |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                    > > > @echo "--------------------"
                    > > > @echo "If this fails, run make install again after StuffIt Expa=
                    > nder quits."
                    > > > @echo "--------------------"
                    >
                    > > Can't we add a small shell script that hangs around until the files that
                    > > are to be unpacked exist?
                    > >=20
                    > > while test ! -f some_file; do
                    > > sleep 1
                    > > done
                    >
                    > good point... the file we want is gui_mac.rsrc.
                    > There's probably some resource-fork business that I don't understand
                    > (which is the reason why we can't just supply gui_mac.rsrc) but this is
                    > at least better than nothing.

                    OK, please try this:

                    gui_mac.rsrc:
                    open os_mac.rsr.hqx
                    @while test ! -f gui_mac.rsrc; do \
                    sleep 1; \
                    done

                    --
                    ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
                    DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.

                  • Stephen Riehm
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 24, 2003
                      Hi Bram, Eric,

                      Just a quick note: opening .hqx files can have nasty side effects...
                      I had real problems with that line because I've got stuffit expander
                      configured to always expand onto the desktop (I only ever expand stuff
                      I've just downloaded... and having it expand on the desktop means I
                      don't lose track of the things I haven't fully tried out yet - I move
                      them into a proper folder (or trash) after testing)

                      Is there was to open the .hqx file in such a way that it always expands
                      into the current directory?
                      (ie: some special command line arg to override the user settings?)

                      Cheers,

                      Steve

                      On Freitag, Oktober 24, 2003, at 12:47 Uhr, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Eric Y. Kow wrote:
                      >
                      >> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 14:54:39 +0200, Bram Moolenaar
                      >> Bram-at-moolenaar.ne=
                      >> nder quits."
                      >>
                      >>> Can't we add a small shell script that hangs around until the files
                      >>> that
                      >>> are to be unpacked exist?
                      >>> =20
                      >>> while test ! -f some_file; do
                      >>> sleep 1
                      >>> done
                      >>
                      >> good point... the file we want is gui_mac.rsrc.
                      >> There's probably some resource-fork business that I don't understand
                      >> (which is the reason why we can't just supply gui_mac.rsrc) but this
                      >> is
                      >> at least better than nothing.
                      >
                      > OK, please try this:
                      >
                      > gui_mac.rsrc:
                      > open os_mac.rsr.hqx
                      > @while test ! -f gui_mac.rsrc; do \
                      > sleep 1; \
                      > done
                      >

                      > --
                      > ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
                      > DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.
                      > ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called `Dennis.'
                      > DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
                      > The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
                      > Python)
                      >
                      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
                      > \\\
                      > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org
                      > \\\
                      > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
                      > ///
                      > \\\ Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html
                      > ///

                      Steve
                    • Daniel Sandler
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 24, 2003
                        > Just a quick note: opening .hqx files can have nasty side effects...

                        That's for sure.

                        Is there any particular reason that BinHex is being used to encapsulate
                        these Mac resources, rather than something a little easier to manipulate
                        from make or jam? (That is, something that can be used with blocking
                        shell tools?) I have a couple of ideas on how this might be done:

                        Suggestion 1: Use the OS X pseudo-file spec to manipulate resources

                        Background: Apple's implementation of POSIX file ops for resource-fork
                        filesystems seems to provide some pseudo-file paths allowing direct
                        access to the different forks of a file as separate file descriptors.
                        (There appear to be some relevant #defines in sys/paths.h .)

                        Usage: To get started, split gui_mac.rsrc into data and resource
                        forks:

                        cat gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc > os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork
                        cat gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/data > os_mac.rsr.datafork

                        At this point, you have two files containing only data forks.
                        Therefore, they ought to be safe to add to CVS:

                        cvs add os_mac.rsr.{rsrc,data}fork

                        At build time, reverse the procedure:

                        # fictitious Makefile excerpt
                        gui_mac.rsrc:
                        touch gui_mac.rsrc # need to have the file present first
                        cat os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc
                        cat os_mac.rsr.datafork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/data

                        Downside: I believe the ..namedfork spec was introduced in OS X 10.2,
                        so you might be limiting the platforms on which vim can be built.

                        Another downside: anything I find in a header file delimited by #ifdef
                        __APPLE_API_PRIVATE sort of gives me the creeps. It doesn't seem to
                        be a well-documented API, and so could go away at any time.
                        Information on this API is scarce and sometimes inconsistent; the most
                        authoritative note I've seen (read: "comes from an @... email
                        address") is here: http://nntp.x.perl.org/group/perl.macosx/4260 .

                        Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools

                        This is what I used to store resources in CVS for my OS X projects
                        before I learned about the ..namedfork trick.

                        Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
                        gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
                        stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS. Use
                        $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

                        I hope this is helpful; I apologize for not submitting proper patches,
                        but I'm not set up to build OS X vim at the moment...

                        -dan, re-engaging his lurking device
                      • dan sandler
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 24, 2003
                          > Just a quick note: opening .hqx files can have nasty side effects...

                          That's for sure.

                          Is there any particular reason that BinHex is being used to encapsulate
                          these Mac resources, rather than something a little easier to manipulate
                          from make or jam? (That is, something that can be used with blocking
                          shell tools?) I have a couple of ideas on how this might be done:

                          Suggestion 1: Use the OS X pseudo-file spec to manipulate resources

                          Background: Apple's implementation of POSIX file ops for resource-fork
                          filesystems seems to provide some pseudo-file paths allowing direct
                          access to the different forks of a file as separate file descriptors.
                          (There appear to be some relevant #defines in sys/paths.h .)

                          Usage: To get started, split gui_mac.rsrc into data and resource
                          forks:

                          cat gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc > os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork
                          cat gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/data > os_mac.rsr.datafork

                          At this point, you have two files containing only data forks.
                          Therefore, they ought to be safe to add to CVS:

                          cvs add os_mac.rsr.{rsrc,data}fork

                          At build time, reverse the procedure:

                          # fictitious Makefile excerpt
                          gui_mac.rsrc:
                          touch gui_mac.rsrc # need to have the file present first
                          cat os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc
                          cat os_mac.rsr.datafork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/data

                          Downside: I believe the ..namedfork spec was introduced in OS X 10.2,
                          so you might be limiting the platforms on which vim can be built.

                          Another downside: anything I find in a header file delimited by #ifdef
                          __APPLE_API_PRIVATE sort of gives me the creeps. It doesn't seem to
                          be a well-documented API, and so could go away at any time.
                          Information on this API is scarce and sometimes inconsistent; the most
                          authoritative note I've seen (read: "comes from an @... email
                          address") is here: http://nntp.x.perl.org/group/perl.macosx/4260 .

                          Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools

                          This is what I used to store resources in CVS for my OS X projects
                          before I learned about the ..namedfork trick.

                          Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
                          gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
                          stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS. Use
                          $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

                          I hope this is helpful; I apologize for not submitting proper patches,
                          but I'm not set up to build OS X vim at the moment...

                          -dan, re-engaging his lurking device
                        • Gregory Seidman
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 24, 2003
                            [...]
                            }
                            } # fictitious Makefile excerpt
                            } gui_mac.rsrc:
                            } touch gui_mac.rsrc # need to have the file present first
                            } cat os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc
                            } cat os_mac.rsr.datafork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/data

                            Or, very slightly easier:

                            gui_mac.rsrc:
                            cp os_mac.rsr.datafork gui_mac.rsrc
                            cat os_mac.rsr.rsrcfork > gui_mac.rsrc/..namedfork/rsrc

                            } Downside: I believe the ..namedfork spec was introduced in OS X 10.2,
                            } so you might be limiting the platforms on which vim can be built.

                            It works on my 10.1 system. Can't speak for 10.0, though.

                            [...]
                            --Greg
                          • Eric Y. Kow
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 25, 2003
                              Folks,

                              Thanks for the discussion. It's been educational.

                              On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 15:48:02 -0700, dan sandler dsandler-at-dsandler.org |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                              > Another downside: anything I find in a header file delimited by #ifdef
                              > __APPLE_API_PRIVATE sort of gives me the creeps. It doesn't seem to

                              As a matter of personal taste, I'd avoid this kind of stuff.

                              > Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools
                              > Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
                              > gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
                              > stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS. Use
                              > $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

                              I like this approach much better! Especially now that it has been
                              blessed by somebody who presumably has clue what's going on :-)

                              Is deRez'ing gui_mac.rsrc basically equivilant to de-compiling it?
                              If so, would it be too onerous to re-write gui_mac_static.r by hand, or
                              find the guy that wrote the original? If we're going to have some kind
                              of source around, it might as well be readable, eh?

                              --
                              Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
                              PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon français.
                            • Dany St-Amant
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 26, 2003
                                Le vendredi, 24 oct 2003, à 17:31 Canada/Eastern, Daniel Sandler a
                                écrit :

                                >> Just a quick note: opening .hqx files can have nasty side effects...
                                >
                                > That's for sure.
                                >
                                > Is there any particular reason that BinHex is being used to encapsulate
                                > these Mac resources, rather than something a little easier to
                                > manipulate
                                > from make or jam? (That is, something that can be used with blocking
                                > shell tools?) I have a couple of ideas on how this might be done:

                                As I always decode it before hand, I never saw an issue. Beside
                                Muraoka's
                                suggestion, one could possible use an AppleScript as Stuffit Expander
                                accept
                                a destination folder through AppleScript.

                                > Suggestion 1: Use the OS X pseudo-file spec to manipulate resources

                                No can do. This will not work on the pre-MacOS X.

                                > Suggestion 2: use DeRez/Rez, part of the OS X developer tools

                                This should work fine as both MPW and old CodeWarrior version
                                supported Rez.

                                > Usage: once you have a gui_mac.rsrc you like, use DeRez to create a
                                > gui_mac_static.r (since gui_mac.r already exists to include dynamic
                                > stuff like VIM_VERSION_*) and check the new .r file into CVS. Use
                                > $REZ from the Makefile to reconstitute gui_mac.rsrc when needed.

                                One file should be enough as the current gui_mac.r was extracted from
                                the original gui_mac.rsrc to properly propagate the version number.

                                Dany