Bug? Command line vim, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Finder labels, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

  • Marco Ippolito
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7 1:58 AM
      Possibly a bug? Under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, if I use the command line 'vim' to edit and save a file which had a Finder label... the label disappears. Filesystem: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Tried with: /Applications/MacVim/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/vim

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7 6:02 AM
        On 7 July 2010 10:58, Marco Ippolito wrote:
        > Possibly a bug? Under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, if I use the command line 'vim' to edit and save a file which had a Finder label... the label disappears. Filesystem: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Tried with: /Applications/MacVim/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/vim

        This is due to the way Vim saves files (it renames the original file
        for backup, then saves a new file, then finally deletes the backup).
        You can work around this by setting 'backupcopy' to 'yes':

        :set backupcopy=yes

        See, ":h 'bkc" for more information (also take a look at ":h
        backup-table", ":h 'backup" and ":h 'writebackup").