Re: Accidentally pasting in Command Line mode

  • Carl Jacobsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6 11:56 AM
      On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:

      > I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't
      > find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I
      > copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to
      > vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and
      > as a result I am in for a long wait.

      (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)

      So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V,
      or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!]
      that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or
      insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim
      in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long
      sequence of commands).

      You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm
      understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of
      your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching
      away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

      Just curious,
      Carl

    • Andy Block
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6 2:17 PM
        On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:

        > On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:
        >
        >> I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and as a result I am in for a long wait.
        >
        > (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)
        >
        > So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V, or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!] that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long sequence of commands).
        >
        > You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

        Hi Carl,

        Indeed, I am also most grateful that pasting in command or normal mode works with no problem. As a vi user in the (dim and distant) past, I know the pain that can result from pasting in 'normal mode' in vi (especially without multi-level undo). I certainly don't go out of my way to type ':' before pasting. It is more that I maybe went to vim, entered ':' with the intention of entering some command, then got interrupted, switch to skype to respond to something, went to firefox to look something up, then notice a mail that needs attention. Then I go to a terminal to copy some text I needed, before switching back to vim. Then I check which file I am pasting into, perhaps without carefully checking the bottom left for a ':', and... oops! It's not an everyday occurrence, but it has bitten me 4 or 5 times now. Hope that clarifies! Regards,

        Andy