[OT] FuzzyFinder and having it search any level deep?

  • Rick R
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2010
      I know this isn't a macVim specific question, and I have asked in the vim group, but I'm taking a shot asking here also since I know a lot of Mac users of macVim use it for Rails development (which I'm currently trying to get into.)

      I'm having an issue figuring out how to get FuzzyFinder to search 'any level' deep from the root of where I launched macvim from. It only seems to start finding within the current directory which isn't that useful. What I want is the behavior that I get in all the IDEs where I have a project opened and I can just hit a shortcut key and start typing the name of a file and it prompts me with choices of files that match the name, regardless of what directory they are in.

      Is there a way to achieve this using FuzzyFinder? I'd think there must be a way, or else this is going to be a severe limitation for me since I love being able to quickly find project files. (Yes, I'm using the rails plugin also which helps for jumping around, but I still need a way to quickly find any file I want.)

      Thanks,

      --
      Rick R

    • Rick R
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2010
        On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Rick R <rickcr@...> wrote:
         What I want is the behavior that I get in all the IDEs where I have a project opened and I can just hit a shortcut key and start typing the name of a file and it prompts me with choices of files that match the name, regardless of what directory they are in.

        Found a post on another site. Solution append **/ after FuFile

        so my mapping is now:

        map <leader>f :FufFile **/<CR>

        things are fine now.

      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
            Rick R <rickcr@...> Jul 06 08:02PM -0400 ^

            > project opened and I can just hit a shortcut key and start typing the name
            > of a file and it prompts me with choices of files that match the name,
            > regardless of what directory they are in.

            Found a post on another site. Solution append **/ after FuFile

            so my mapping is now:

            map <leader>f :FufFile **/<CR>

            things are fine now.
          Also sort of OT, but semi-related so I'll ask here in case anyone knows. I'm trying to do some mappings to match Eclipse (while yearning for the day I can embed Vim in it) and am having a little trouble with the Apple command key.

          Specifically, I'm trying to map Shift-Command-R (Eclipse's "open resource") to something similar to the FuzzyFinder command above. I can do "map <S-r> :e **/" or "map <D-r> :e **/" for shift-r and command-r, respectively, but when I try "map <S-D-r> :e **/", the command just puts me in replace mode.

          Any ideas?

          Thanks,
          Lyle

        • Rick R
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010

            By the way, this plugin seemed to work pretty nicely in Eclipse back when I used Eclipse http://www.viplugin.com/viplugin/. (I use IDEA now, has vim mode through a plugin as well.)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2010
              On 7 July 2010 16:11, Lyle wrote:
              > Specifically, I'm trying to map Shift-Command-R (Eclipse's "open resource")
              > to something similar to the FuzzyFinder command above. I can do "map <S-r>
              > :e **/" or "map <D-r> :e **/" for shift-r and command-r, respectively, but
              > when I try "map <S-D-r> :e **/", the command just puts me in replace mode.
              > Any ideas?

              Try

              map <D-R> :e **/"

              That is, capitalize the "R" instead of adding the "S-" flag when using
              <D-..> mappings. (Yes, it is a bit odd...)

            • Lyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2010
                > Rick R <rickcr@...> Jul 08 01:03AM -0400
                >
                > >> (while yearning for the day I can embed Vim in it)
                >
                > By the way, this plugin seemed to work pretty nicely in Eclipse back when I
                > used Eclipse http://www.viplugin.com/viplugin/. (I use IDEA now, has vim
                > mode through a plugin as well.)

                Thanks. I've tried several plugins for Eclipse, with eclim being the
                best option for me so far, but unfortunately it doesn't support
                embedding gvim as an Eclipse editor on OS X. I think my next move is
                to see what's available for IDEA and Netbeans (I've heard good things
                about jVi there).

                -Lyle

              • Lyle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2010
                  > björn <bjorn.winckler@...> Jul 08 01:37PM +0200 ^
                  >
                  > On 7 July 2010 16:11, Lyle wrote:
                  >> :e **/" or "map <D-r> :e **/" for shift-r and command-r, respectively, but
                  >> when I try "map <S-D-r> :e **/", the command just puts me in replace mode.
                  >> Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Try
                  >
                  > map <D-R> :e **/"
                  >
                  > That is, capitalize the "R" instead of adding the "S-" flag when using
                  > <D-..> mappings. (Yes, it is a bit odd...)
                  >
                  > Björn

                  Fantastic, that works. Thanks!

                  -Lyle