Re: Accidentally pasting in Command Line mode

  • Andy Block
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
      On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:46 PM, björn wrote:

      > On 4 July 2010 13:13, Andy Block wrote:

      >>> Ouch! I was not aware of this problem. Fortunately there is an easy
      >>> fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.
      >>
      >> Thanks for you quick response, and suggested workaround. However, Cmd-. also does not appear to interrupt for me. Did you confirm that it worked for you? Would this behaviour depend on any configuration, or the setting of some option? Thanks again,
      >
      > Yes, I did confirm before posting. Which version of MacVim are you
      > using? You should be using a snapshot, or the 7.3a BETA [1] -- the
      > stable build is probably too old. No configuration option will affect
      > Cmd-. (it is hardwired).

      Ah - that'd be it then. I should have mentioned before that I am indeed using the last stable build (7.2). I'll have a go with something more recent then. Thanks again, regards,

      Andy

    • Andy Block
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
        On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:46 PM, björn wrote:

        > On 4 July 2010 13:13, Andy Block wrote:

        >>> Ouch! I was not aware of this problem. Fortunately there is an easy
        >>> fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.
        >>
        >> Thanks for you quick response, and suggested workaround. However, Cmd-. also does not appear to interrupt for me. Did you confirm that it worked for you? Would this behaviour depend on any configuration, or the setting of some option? Thanks again,
        >
        > Yes, I did confirm before posting. Which version of MacVim are you
        > using? You should be using a snapshot, or the 7.3a BETA [1] -- the
        > stable build is probably too old. No configuration option will affect
        > Cmd-. (it is hardwired).

        This should be my last posting on this matter - I just wanted to confirm that interrupting with Cmd-. on 7.3a BETA works fine for me. Furthermore, the paste seems to have sped up hugely since 7.2 anyway (possibly because, I notice, the screen is not refreshed after every character?). The paste that I previously reported as taking over 2 minutes now takes a much more reasonable 7 seconds. Consider me a happy customer! Thanks,

        Andy

      • Carl Jacobsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
          On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:

          > I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't
          > find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I
          > copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to
          > vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and
          > as a result I am in for a long wait.

          (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)

          So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V,
          or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!]
          that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or
          insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim
          in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long
          sequence of commands).

          You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm
          understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of
          your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching
          away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

          Just curious,
          Carl

        • Andy Block
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:

            > On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:
            >
            >> I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and as a result I am in for a long wait.
            >
            > (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)
            >
            > So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V, or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!] that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long sequence of commands).
            >
            > You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

            Hi Carl,

            Indeed, I am also most grateful that pasting in command or normal mode works with no problem. As a vi user in the (dim and distant) past, I know the pain that can result from pasting in 'normal mode' in vi (especially without multi-level undo). I certainly don't go out of my way to type ':' before pasting. It is more that I maybe went to vim, entered ':' with the intention of entering some command, then got interrupted, switch to skype to respond to something, went to firefox to look something up, then notice a mail that needs attention. Then I go to a terminal to copy some text I needed, before switching back to vim. Then I check which file I am pasting into, perhaps without carefully checking the bottom left for a ':', and... oops! It's not an everyday occurrence, but it has bitten me 4 or 5 times now. Hope that clarifies! Regards,

            Andy