Re: Accidentally pasting in Command Line mode

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
      On 4 July 2010 13:26, Andy Block wrote:
      > On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:58 PM, björn wrote:
      >
      >> On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:
      >>>
      >>> I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't
      >>> find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I
      >>> copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to
      >>> vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and
      >>> as a result I am in for a long wait.
      >> Ouch!  I was not aware of this problem.  Fortunately there is an easy
      >> fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.
      >
      > It just occurred to me that the reason this does not bite me in terminal vim is that pasting there results in the first pasted line being interpreted as a command, then the remaining lines get interpreted in normal mode, where they are swiftly interpreted and can easily be undone. In the GUI, however, the line separators get pasted as 'literal' ^M s on the command line, resulting in one huge command line. Furthermore, even if I take an equivalent amount os text but join all the lines onto a single line, and then cut and paste that onto a terminal command line, the paste is complete in a matter of less than a second (when using a buffer that takes over two minutes to paste into the GUI version). This suggests two other possible mitigating actions:
      >
      > 1. Make the behaviour for '^M' the same as the terminal version
      > 2. Speed up the insertion of characters on the command line so they don't need interrupting :-)

      Thanks for the information -- I will try to take a look at why the GUI
      is so slow.

      > In any case, thanks again for this and all your hard work on MacVim. It is a fantastic piece of software :-) .

      Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :-)

    • Andy Block
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
        On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:46 PM, björn wrote:

        > On 4 July 2010 13:13, Andy Block wrote:

        >>> Ouch! I was not aware of this problem. Fortunately there is an easy
        >>> fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.
        >>
        >> Thanks for you quick response, and suggested workaround. However, Cmd-. also does not appear to interrupt for me. Did you confirm that it worked for you? Would this behaviour depend on any configuration, or the setting of some option? Thanks again,
        >
        > Yes, I did confirm before posting. Which version of MacVim are you
        > using? You should be using a snapshot, or the 7.3a BETA [1] -- the
        > stable build is probably too old. No configuration option will affect
        > Cmd-. (it is hardwired).

        Ah - that'd be it then. I should have mentioned before that I am indeed using the last stable build (7.2). I'll have a go with something more recent then. Thanks again, regards,

        Andy

      • Andy Block
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
          On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:46 PM, björn wrote:

          > On 4 July 2010 13:13, Andy Block wrote:

          >>> Ouch! I was not aware of this problem. Fortunately there is an easy
          >>> fix: use Cmd-. instead of Ctrl-C to interrupt.
          >>
          >> Thanks for you quick response, and suggested workaround. However, Cmd-. also does not appear to interrupt for me. Did you confirm that it worked for you? Would this behaviour depend on any configuration, or the setting of some option? Thanks again,
          >
          > Yes, I did confirm before posting. Which version of MacVim are you
          > using? You should be using a snapshot, or the 7.3a BETA [1] -- the
          > stable build is probably too old. No configuration option will affect
          > Cmd-. (it is hardwired).

          This should be my last posting on this matter - I just wanted to confirm that interrupting with Cmd-. on 7.3a BETA works fine for me. Furthermore, the paste seems to have sped up hugely since 7.2 anyway (possibly because, I notice, the screen is not refreshed after every character?). The paste that I previously reported as taking over 2 minutes now takes a much more reasonable 7 seconds. Consider me a happy customer! Thanks,

          Andy

        • Carl Jacobsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:

            > I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't
            > find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I
            > copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to
            > vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and
            > as a result I am in for a long wait.

            (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)

            So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V,
            or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!]
            that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or
            insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim
            in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long
            sequence of commands).

            You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm
            understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of
            your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching
            away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

            Just curious,
            Carl

          • Andy Block
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
              On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:

              > On 3 July 2010 21:25, Andy wrote:
              >
              >> I have one major annoyance with MacVim, which I'm surprised I can't find anyone else mentioning. Specifically, on a semi-regular basis, I copy a large amount of text from, e.g., a terminal session, switch to vim, paste it, and - bang! I discover I was in command line mode and as a result I am in for a long wait.
              >
              > (Sorry to come in at the end, just back from the long weekend.)
              >
              > So, I paste text into MacVim all the time (with either Cmd-C/Cmd-V, or drag and drop), and have always been pleased/grateful [THANKS BJÖRN!] that it cheerfully inserted the text whether I was in command mode or insert mode (after long painful experience with pasting into vi/vim in the terminal and waiting while text was misinterpreted as a long sequence of commands).
              >
              > You say you're having this problem in command *line* mode -- if I'm understanding right... is there some reason why you would go out of your way to type ":" to get into command line mode, before switching away from MacVim? Or am I misunderstanding?

              Hi Carl,

              Indeed, I am also most grateful that pasting in command or normal mode works with no problem. As a vi user in the (dim and distant) past, I know the pain that can result from pasting in 'normal mode' in vi (especially without multi-level undo). I certainly don't go out of my way to type ':' before pasting. It is more that I maybe went to vim, entered ':' with the intention of entering some command, then got interrupted, switch to skype to respond to something, went to firefox to look something up, then notice a mail that needs attention. Then I go to a terminal to copy some text I needed, before switching back to vim. Then I check which file I am pasting into, perhaps without carefully checking the bottom left for a ':', and... oops! It's not an everyday occurrence, but it has bitten me 4 or 5 times now. Hope that clarifies! Regards,

              Andy