MacVim 7.3a BETA - Intel/10.6+

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 6, 2010

      In preparation for the release of Vim 7.3 I have uploaded a version of
      MacVim based on Vim 7.3a BETA (this includes all commits to the vim73
      branch up to and including 5b8ff51). Get it here:

      http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads

      This build requires an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later. When 7.3 is
      released I will build another version that runs on earlier versions of
      OS X and which supports PPC. (Note: This build includes support for
      automatic updating so you'll be notified of new builds, including when
      7.3 is released.)

      Please download and play with it but do note that this is based on the
      UNSTABLE Vim 7.3 BETA branch. There is basically no new code to
      MacVim itself compared with snapshot 52, but there have been lots of
      changes to core Vim -- some of which are pretty big (persistent undo,
      Vince Negri's "conceal" patch, to name but two).

      I am still in the process of switching over to GitHub (both for the
      source code as well as binaries) -- please let me know if you have any
      comments on the switch (are there any problems with downloading etc.).

      The instructions for building your own version of the MacVim 7.3a BETA are here:

      http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/macvim/

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 8, 2010
          Where can I find a Change log of vim 7.3? Thank you
          On Jun 6, 2010, at 1:17 PM, björn wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > In preparation for the release of Vim 7.3 I have uploaded a version of
          > MacVim based on Vim 7.3a BETA (this includes all commits to the vim73
          > branch up to and including 5b8ff51). Get it here:
          >
          > http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
          >
          > This build requires an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later. When 7.3 is
          > released I will build another version that runs on earlier versions of
          > OS X and which supports PPC. (Note: This build includes support for
          > automatic updating so you'll be notified of new builds, including when
          > 7.3 is released.)
          >
          > Please download and play with it but do note that this is based on the
          > UNSTABLE Vim 7.3 BETA branch. There is basically no new code to
          > MacVim itself compared with snapshot 52, but there have been lots of
          > changes to core Vim -- some of which are pretty big (persistent undo,
          > Vince Negri's "conceal" patch, to name but two).
          >
          > I am still in the process of switching over to GitHub (both for the
          > source code as well as binaries) -- please let me know if you have any
          > comments on the switch (are there any problems with downloading etc.).
          >
          > The instructions for building your own version of the MacVim 7.3a BETA are here:
          >
          > http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/macvim/
          >

          > Björn
          >
          > --

        • Daniel Corrêa
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 8, 2010
            :h 7.3

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
              On 6 June 2010 19:17, björn wrote:

              > In preparation for the release of Vim 7.3 I have uploaded a version of
              > MacVim based on Vim 7.3a BETA (this includes all commits to the vim73
              > branch up to and including 5b8ff51).  Get it here:
              >
              > http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
              >
              > This build requires an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later.  When 7.3 is
              > released I will build another version that runs on earlier versions of
              > OS X and which supports PPC.  (Note: This build includes support for
              > automatic updating so you'll be notified of new builds, including when
              > 7.3 is released.)

              I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
              anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now. Please
              check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).

              Björn

              P.S. The first build (52.1) had a crash bug in :grep (or :vimgrep),
              this build (52.2) contains a fix (among other things).

            • Adam Mercer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:43, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                > I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
                > anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now.  Please
                > check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).

                Worked for me, well the second attempt did. It failed initially with:

                2010-06-09 13:03:00.963 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error: An error
                occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.
                2010-06-09 13:03:00.964 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error (continued):
                unsupported URL

                trying again straight after and the update proceeded, must have been
                some transient issue.

                Cheers

                Adam

              • Steven Michalske
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                  Worked for me first try.

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                    On 9 June 2010 20:05, Adam Mercer wrote:
                    > On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:43, björn wrote:
                    >
                    >> I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
                    >> anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now.  Please
                    >> check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).
                    >
                    > Worked for me, well the second attempt did. It failed initially with:
                    >
                    > 2010-06-09 13:03:00.963 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error: An error
                    > occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.
                    > 2010-06-09 13:03:00.964 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error (continued):
                    > unsupported URL
                    >
                    > trying again straight after and the update proceeded, must have been
                    > some transient issue.

                    Thanks Adam. Let's all keep our collective eyes peeled to see if this
                    issue pops up often. It would be nice if github worked better than
                    google code in this respect (GC caused failed downloads every now and
                    then).

                  • Wy Mitbbs
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                      It didn't work for me
                      On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:47 PM, björn wrote:

                      > On 9 June 2010 20:05, Adam Mercer wrote:
                      >> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:43, björn wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
                      >>> anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now. Please
                      >>> check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).
                      >>
                      >> Worked for me, well the second attempt did. It failed initially with:
                      >>
                      >> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.963 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error: An error
                      >> occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.
                      >> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.964 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error (continued):
                      >> unsupported URL
                      >>
                      >> trying again straight after and the update proceeded, must have been
                      >> some transient issue.
                      >
                      > Thanks Adam. Let's all keep our collective eyes peeled to see if this
                      > issue pops up often. It would be nice if github worked better than
                      > google code in this respect (GC caused failed downloads every now and
                      > then).
                      >
                      > Björn
                      >
                      > --

                    • Bryan Ross
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                        I don't even have the option to Auto Update. Is there some compile flag or something I missed?

                        Bryan J. Ross
                        bryanjamesross@...

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                          On 9 June 2010 22:02, Wy Mitbbs wrote:
                          > On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:47 PM, björn wrote:

                          >>> Worked for me, well the second attempt did. It failed initially with:
                          >>>
                          >>> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.963 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error: An error
                          >>> occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.
                          >>> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.964 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error (continued):
                          >>> unsupported URL
                          >>>
                          >>> trying again straight after and the update proceeded, must have been
                          >>> some transient issue.
                          >>
                          >> Thanks Adam.  Let's all keep our collective eyes peeled to see if this
                          >> issue pops up often.  It would be nice if github worked better than
                          >> google code in this respect (GC caused failed downloads every now and
                          >> then).
                          >
                          > It didn't work for me

                          How/when exactly did the process fail? (I probably won't be able to
                          do anything about it, but it would be good to know.)

                          Did you retry a little bit later?

                        • J Irving
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                            On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 16:02, Wy Mitbbs <wy.mitbbs@...> wrote:
                            > It didn't work for me

                            Didn't work for me either. I go to "check for updates", it tells me
                            I'm not in need of an update. However, I have build 52.1, not 52.2.

                            cheers, J

                            > On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:47 PM, björn wrote:

                            >>> Worked for me, well the second attempt did. It failed initially with:
                            >>>
                            >>> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.963 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error: An error
                            >>> occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.
                            >>> 2010-06-09 13:03:00.964 MacVim[18977:903] Sparkle Error (continued):
                            >>> unsupported URL
                            >>>
                            >>> trying again straight after and the update proceeded, must have been
                            >>> some transient issue.
                            >>
                            >> Thanks Adam.  Let's all keep our collective eyes peeled to see if this
                            >> issue pops up often.  It would be nice if github worked better than
                            >> google code in this respect (GC caused failed downloads every now and
                            >> then).
                            >>
                            >> Björn
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                            >
                            > --

                          • Daniel Corrêa
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                              Worked for me. Took a couples of minutes for the Update dialog to
                              appear, but everything went ok.

                              Cheers

                              On 09/06/10 18:33, J Irving wrote:
                              > On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 16:02, Wy Mitbbs<wy.mitbbs@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> It didn't work for me
                              >>
                              > Didn't work for me either. I go to "check for updates", it tells me
                              > I'm not in need of an update. However, I have build 52.1, not 52.2.
                              >
                              > cheers, J

                              >>> Thanks Adam. Let's all keep our collective eyes peeled to see if this
                              >>> issue pops up often. It would be nice if github worked better than
                              >>> google code in this respect (GC caused failed downloads every now and
                              >>> then).
                              >>>
                              >>> Björn
                              >>>
                              >>> --
                              >>> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                              >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                              >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                              >>>
                              >> --
                              >> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.

                            • Israel Chauca F.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 9, 2010
                                It worked fine for me too, no even a delay.

                                Israel

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 10, 2010
                                  On 9 June 2010 22:56, Bryan Ross wrote:
                                  > I don't even have the option to Auto Update. Is there some compile flag or
                                  > something I missed?

                                  Sparkle (the auto-update framework) is no longer included in the
                                  source code (ok, some remnants are there, but it's not linked) -- I
                                  have a private branch where I add it, so you'll need to download the
                                  "official" binary to get automatic updating.

                                  I think you can also add yourself as a "watcher" on github to see when
                                  I push new commits to the repo and keep yourself updated that way.

                                • Keyan
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 10, 2010
                                    just checked. worked fine for me. i first checked the option and restartet. that did not work. but when i chose the "check for updated …" menu, everything worked perfectly. may be should have waited a bit longer for the pop-up to appear by itself, but i was to impatient :)

                                    regards,
                                    keyan

                                  • Craig
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                      On Jun 9, 6:43 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                                      > On 6 June 2010 19:17, björn wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > In preparation for the release of Vim 7.3 I have uploaded a version of
                                      > > MacVim based on Vim 7.3a BETA (this includes all commits to the vim73
                                      > > branch up to and including 5b8ff51).  Get it here:
                                      >
                                      > >http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
                                      >
                                      > > This build requires an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later.  When 7.3 is
                                      > > released I will build another version that runs on earlier versions of
                                      > > OS X and which supports PPC.  (Note: This build includes support for
                                      > > automatic updating so you'll be notified of new builds, including when
                                      > > 7.3 is released.)
                                      >
                                      > I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
                                      > anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now.  Please
                                      > check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).
                                      >
                                      > Björn
                                      >
                                      > P.S. The first build (52.1) had a crash bug in :grep (or :vimgrep),
                                      > this build (52.2) contains a fix (among other things).

                                      Am I the only one who finds they can regularly out-type MacGVim?
                                      It feels noticeably sluggish and slow and often draws the text long
                                      after I've typed it.
                                      I'm using the 52.2 build with experimental rendering turned, using
                                      Andale Mono:h13.00 as my font.
                                      I just tried 7.2 and it's not that much faster.
                                      Longer lines seem to exacerbate the problem.
                                      I've for the insert mode line highlight enabled.

                                      -C

                                    • Wy Mitbbs
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                        You are not alone. The big file (300 lines) will slow down McVim like hell for me. vim in Terminal is fine for the same file.

                                        It was working good back to the Mar 05 snapshot. I have no idea why....
                                        On Jun 11, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Craig wrote:

                                        > On Jun 9, 6:43 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                                        >> On 6 June 2010 19:17, björn wrote:
                                        >>

                                        >>> In preparation for the release of Vim 7.3 I have uploaded a version of
                                        >>> MacVim based on Vim 7.3a BETA (this includes all commits to the vim73
                                        >>> branch up to and including 5b8ff51). Get it here:
                                        >>
                                        >>> http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
                                        >>
                                        >>> This build requires an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later. When 7.3 is
                                        >>> released I will build another version that runs on earlier versions of
                                        >>> OS X and which supports PPC. (Note: This build includes support for
                                        >>> automatic updating so you'll be notified of new builds, including when
                                        >>> 7.3 is released.)
                                        >>
                                        >> I've just updated this build so the automatic updating should tell
                                        >> anybody who downloaded it that there's a new version now. Please
                                        >> check if the automatic updating works (it did for me).
                                        >>
                                        >> Björn
                                        >>
                                        >> P.S. The first build (52.1) had a crash bug in :grep (or :vimgrep),
                                        >> this build (52.2) contains a fix (among other things).
                                        >
                                        > Am I the only one who finds they can regularly out-type MacGVim?
                                        > It feels noticeably sluggish and slow and often draws the text long
                                        > after I've typed it.
                                        > I'm using the 52.2 build with experimental rendering turned, using
                                        > Andale Mono:h13.00 as my font.
                                        > I just tried 7.2 and it's not that much faster.
                                        > Longer lines seem to exacerbate the problem.
                                        > I've for the insert mode line highlight enabled.
                                        >
                                        > -C
                                        >
                                        > --

                                      • Daniel Corrêa
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                          In my MacVim, i'm right now working in a 2500+ line document, performing
                                          macros and substitutes and all sorts, and no slowing whatsoever. Weird...

                                          Cheers,

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                            Do you think I should somehow remove all MacVim.app related file and retry? Which files need to be deleted?

                                            Thanks

                                            Yi

                                            On Jun 11, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Daniel Corrêa wrote:

                                            > In my MacVim, i'm right now working in a 2500+ line document, performing macros and substitutes and all sorts, and no slowing whatsoever. Weird...
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > On 11/06/10 11:38, Wy Mitbbs wrote:
                                            >> You are not alone. The big file (300 lines) will slow down McVim like hell for me. vim in Terminal is fine for the same file.
                                            >>
                                            >> It was working good back to the Mar 05 snapshot. I have no idea why....

                                            >>> Am I the only one who finds they can regularly out-type MacGVim?
                                            >>> It feels noticeably sluggish and slow and often draws the text long
                                            >>> after I've typed it.
                                            >>> I'm using the 52.2 build with experimental rendering turned, using
                                            >>> Andale Mono:h13.00 as my font.
                                            >>> I just tried 7.2 and it's not that much faster.
                                            >>> Longer lines seem to exacerbate the problem.
                                            >>> I've for the insert mode line highlight enabled.
                                            >>>
                                            >>> -C
                                            >>>
                                            >>> --
                                            >>> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                                            >>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                                            >>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                                            >>>

                                            > --
                                            > <dnlcorrea.vcf>

                                          • Daniel Corrêa
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                              Hey,

                                              "Transparency" fades letters and numbers that just disappeared instead
                                              of making my window transparent. Did I change some variable or is this a
                                              52.2 bug?

                                              Cheers,

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                On 11 June 2010 16:38, Wy Mitbbs wrote:
                                                > On Jun 11, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Craig wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> Am I the only one who finds they can regularly out-type MacGVim?
                                                >> It feels noticeably sluggish and slow and often draws the text long
                                                >> after I've typed it.
                                                >> I'm using the 52.2 build with experimental rendering turned, using
                                                >> Andale Mono:h13.00 as my font.
                                                >> I just tried 7.2 and it's not that much faster.
                                                >> Longer lines seem to exacerbate the problem.
                                                >> I've for the insert mode line highlight enabled.
                                                > You are not alone. The big file (300 lines) will slow down McVim like hell for me. vim in Terminal is fine for the same file.
                                                >
                                                > It was working good back to the Mar 05 snapshot. I have no idea why....

                                                Try going through the first step at

                                                http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/ReportingBugs

                                                My guess is that you have some option/autocommand enabled that slows
                                                things down...it would be good to know which one. (I know that
                                                'cursorline' as well as folding can slow things down so that's a good
                                                place to start.)

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                  2010/6/11 Daniel Corrêa:

                                                  > "Transparency" fades letters and numbers that just disappeared instead of
                                                  > making my window transparent. Did I change some variable or is this a 52.2
                                                  > bug?

                                                  Try enabling the "Experimental Renderer" in the Advanced preferences.
                                                  Does that help?

                                                  (I know that the default renderer has some problems with transparency
                                                  unless I link against the 10.5 SDK, but in this release I linked
                                                  against 10.6.)

                                                • Wy Mitbbs
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                    yes! it's the folding. Thank you very much! But is this because it is just slow, or something we(or you) can do about it?
                                                    Thanks

                                                    yi
                                                    On Jun 11, 2010, at 1:01 PM, björn wrote:

                                                    > On 11 June 2010 16:38, Wy Mitbbs wrote:
                                                    >> On Jun 11, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Craig wrote:
                                                    >>>
                                                    >>> Am I the only one who finds they can regularly out-type MacGVim?
                                                    >>> It feels noticeably sluggish and slow and often draws the text long
                                                    >>> after I've typed it.
                                                    >>> I'm using the 52.2 build with experimental rendering turned, using
                                                    >>> Andale Mono:h13.00 as my font.
                                                    >>> I just tried 7.2 and it's not that much faster.
                                                    >>> Longer lines seem to exacerbate the problem.
                                                    >>> I've for the insert mode line highlight enabled.
                                                    >> You are not alone. The big file (300 lines) will slow down McVim like hell for me. vim in Terminal is fine for the same file.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> It was working good back to the Mar 05 snapshot. I have no idea why....
                                                    >
                                                    > Try going through the first step at
                                                    >
                                                    > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/ReportingBugs
                                                    >
                                                    > My guess is that you have some option/autocommand enabled that slows
                                                    > things down...it would be good to know which one. (I know that
                                                    > 'cursorline' as well as folding can slow things down so that's a good
                                                    > place to start.)
                                                    >
                                                    > Björn
                                                    >
                                                    > --

                                                  • Daniel Corrêa
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                      Yeah, that did the trick!

                                                      Thanks, Björn.

                                                      On 11/06/10 15:02, björn wrote:
                                                      > 2010/6/11 Daniel Corrêa:
                                                      >
                                                      >> "Transparency" fades letters and numbers that just disappeared instead of
                                                      >> making my window transparent. Did I change some variable or is this a 52.2
                                                      >> bug?
                                                      >>
                                                      > Try enabling the "Experimental Renderer" in the Advanced preferences.
                                                      > Does that help?
                                                      >
                                                      > (I know that the default renderer has some problems with transparency
                                                      > unless I link against the 10.5 SDK, but in this release I linked
                                                      > against 10.6.)
                                                      >
                                                      > Björn

                                                    • John Beckett
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                        NEW USERS ON THIS MAILING LIST:

                                                        Please bottom post on this list. Quote a small (relevant) part
                                                        of the message you are replying to, and put your text underneath.
                                                        Delete text that is not needed to understand your reply

                                                        See
                                                        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
                                                        The footer below each message ("Do not top-post!").

                                                        John

                                                      • Tony Mechelynck
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 5 5:39 PM
                                                          On Jun 8, 10:11 pm, Wy Mitbbs <wy.mit...@...> wrote:
                                                          > Where can I find a Change log of vim 7.3? Thank you

                                                          For those who would like to know _before_ installing it, here's a
                                                          summary:

                                                          * Changed
                                                          - Extra and language sources are planned to be merged into the main
                                                          Unix source archive. At the moment there is no source archive yet but
                                                          a Mercurial repository is already in place.
                                                          - After recovery, if the buffer differs from the file on disk it is
                                                          now set as 'modified'
                                                          - When exiting because of a deadly signal and v:dying is >=2,
                                                          autocommands are skipped

                                                          * Added
                                                          - Persistent undo (partly by J. Lewis)
                                                          - 'relativenumber' option (M. Heidelberg)
                                                          - Blowfish encryption (stronger) (mostly by M. Ahmed).
                                                          ("Traditional" Vim encryption is still supported by the same
                                                          executable)
                                                          - Netbeans in a terminal (X. de Gaye)
                                                          - Ten more floating-point functions (W. McCarthy)
                                                          - gettabvar() and settabvar() (Y. Lakshmanan)
                                                          - new syntax and filetype plugins (TODO)
                                                          - new spelling dictionaries (Breton by D. Pellé, others TODO)
                                                          - Support GDK_SUPER_MASK for GTK on Mac. (S. Schulz)

                                                          * Removed
                                                          - (old) GTK1 GUI support

                                                          * Fixed
                                                          - Several bugs

                                                        • Tony Mechelynck
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 5 5:46 PM
                                                            I forgot:
                                                            * Added
                                                            - 'conceal' / 'ownsyntax' options (V. Negri)