New experimental MacVim repo @ GitHub

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2010

      Over the last few weeks I've been going over what options I have
      regarding the new Vim Mercurial repository. I debated switching to
      Mercurial for MacVim and how I would move the current MacVim history,
      etc. Well, after what seems like an eternity spent reading about Git
      and Mercurial I finally settled on hg-git so that I can keep using Git
      but still pull from the Mercurial repo.

      I've set up a new Vim Git repo at [1] and a MacVim Git repo based on
      this here [2].

      This setup brings a few advantages:

      - People interested only in Vim development with Git can use [1]
      without having to pull the MacVim code (I have announced this on
      vim_dev as well, there is now a link to the Git repo on vim.org)
      - If anybody develops a new Vim feature (using Git _or_ Mercurial) it
      is possible to merge their work into a MacVim repo (cloned from [2])
      - If somebody thinks I'm too slow at updating the Vim Git repo, they
      can set up their own and the commit IDs will be identical (see [3])
      - GitHub is prettier than repo.or.cz :-) (plus I got requests to move
      there a while ago)

      Note that I'm stating that the new MacVim repo is "experimental" -- I
      may still trash the entire thing and start from scratch even though
      that is very unlikely (I've done that _many_ times already). Mostly
      I'm not sure about the branch structure (master points to the hg
      "default" branch which is based on Vim 7.2 and there is a macvim73
      branch that merges against the 7.3 code), which translates to
      "everything except the master branch may get trashed". However, I
      will not be updating the old repo anymore unless something unexpected
      happens (take that as a sign of the new repo not being "too
      experimental").

      I've set up instructions on how to build MacVim using the Vim 7.3 BETA
      code here [4].

      When Bram releases Vim 7.3 I will (hopefully the same day) build a new
      stable MacVim binary (based on snapshot 52).

      Björn

      [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/vim
      [2] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
      [3] http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/vim/