Re: Re(2): Building Carbon version with Unix Makefile

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
      Eric Kow wrote:

      > If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
      > to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
      > the Vim.app pkg.
      >
      > Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
      > path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
      > experiencing.
      >
      > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

      Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
      changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
      building Vim.

      > also, some minor unrelated notes
      > --------------------------------
      >
      > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
      > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

      Where is this?

      > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

      Yes, the INSTALLmac.txt file should be updated. Please make a patch for
      this.

      > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
      > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

      The Icon currently used is small, which looks ugly in the dock. A
      bigger icon would be much nicer.

      --
      Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

    • Eric Y. Kow
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003

        Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121

        Problem: Mac: resource files not found
        installation documentation out of synch
        Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
        Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks
        Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
        runtime.
        Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
        Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
        Remove spurious Makefile comments
        Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c

        > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
        > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

        See attached patch

        > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

        See attached patch

        > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
        > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

        See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
        Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

        --eric

        --
        Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
        PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon fran├žais.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
          On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:14:16 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
          > > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c
          >
          > Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
          > changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
          > building Vim.

          This would break any method which does not copy the runtime directory
          into the Vim.app bundle.

          Hopefully, the Taro Make_osx.mak approach is no longer needed, as it has
          been incorporated into the Makefile (right?) and anybody really keen
          on using ProjectBuilder will make the appropriate modifications.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
            Eric Kow wrote:

            > Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121
            >
            > Problem: Mac: resource files not found
            > installation documentation out of synch
            > Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
            > Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks=20
            > Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
            > runtime.
            > Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
            > Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
            > Remove spurious Makefile comments
            > Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c
            >
            > > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=3D20
            > > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)
            >
            > See attached patch=20
            >
            > > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?
            >
            > See attached patch
            >
            > > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
            > > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?
            >
            > See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
            > Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

            Thanks. I'll include this and verify if it works for me.

            238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
              At 22:29 Uhr +0200 2003-10-13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >I have just sent patch 6.2.118 to the vim-dev maillist. This makes it
              >possible to build the Carbon version with the Unix Makefile:
              >
              > make
              > make install
              >
              >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
              >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
              >
              >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
              >
              >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other
              >Mac stuff is still working!

              I build Vim 6.2.121 for MacOS Classic without problems and will
              upload a new archive next weekend.

              Axel