Re: MacVim + Ruby 1.9.1

    Message 1 of 16 , May 12, 2010
      On 9 May 2010 02:19, Koudelka wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      > I've successfully compiled MacVim with 1.9.1 under rvm.
      >
      > Here are the config.mk values that worked for me:
      > RUBY            = /Users/mikes/.rvm/bin/ruby-1.9.1-p378
      > RUBY_SRC        = if_ruby.c
      > RUBY_OBJ        = objects/if_ruby.o
      > RUBY_PRO        = if_ruby.pro
      > RUBY_CFLAGS     = -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
      > ruby-1.9.1 -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
      > ruby-1.9.1/i386-darwin10.3.1 -DRUBY_VERSION=19
      > RUBY_LIBS       = -lruby-static -lpthread -ldl -lobjc -L/Users/mikes/.rvm/
      > rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib
      >
      > I've hacked up the configure.in file, too. This is the first time I've
      > touched an autoconf file, so I can't promise that it has decent style.
      > But it seems to work, and I don't think it sacrifices backwards
      > compatibility.
      >
      > The main problem is that vi_cv_path_ruby was never set, so the entire
      > conditional for custom rubies was never evaluated.
      >
      > The diff: http://gist.github.com/394844

      Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
      is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
      you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
      I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

      I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
      what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
      something else going on?

    • Michael Shapiro
      Message 2 of 16 , May 12, 2010
        On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:

        > Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
        > is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
        > you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
        > I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

        I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.

        vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
        --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.

        MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
        --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
        --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)

        From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

        > I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
        > what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
        > something else going on?

        Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.

        Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996

        The problems were:
        1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.

        2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.

        3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.

        The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.

        Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

        --Mike

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
          On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
          > On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
          >
          >> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
          >> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)?  If so, could
          >> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev?  Otherwise
          >> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
          >
          > I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
          >
          > vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
          >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
          >
          > MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
          >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
          >  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
          >
          > From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
          >

          >> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
          >> what it does?  Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
          >> something else going on?
          >
          > Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
          >
          > Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
          >
          > The problems were:
          > 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
          >
          > 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
          >
          > 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
          >
          > The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
          >
          > Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

          Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
          source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
          git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
          As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
          merge asap.

          Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!

          Thanks,
          Björn

          [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

        • Michael Shapiro
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
            On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

            > On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
            >> On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
            >>
            >>> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
            >>> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
            >>> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
            >>> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
            >>
            >> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
            >>
            >> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
            >>
            >> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
            >> --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
            >>
            >> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
            >>

            >>> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
            >>> what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
            >>> something else going on?
            >>
            >> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
            >>
            >> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
            >>
            >> The problems were:
            >> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
            >>
            >> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
            >>
            >> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
            >>
            >> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
            >>
            >> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
            >
            > Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
            > source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
            > git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
            > As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
            > merge asap.
            >
            > Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Björn
            >

            > [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

            You got it, dude.

            Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

            I forked the repo, if you'd prefer just a pull request. ( http://github.com/koudelka/macvim/commit/e550f312ee25696c4245fb9e2b58bfb0c78da05e )

            --Mike

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
              On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:
              > On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

              >>> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
              >>>
              >>> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
              >>>
              >>> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
              >>>  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
              >>>
              >>> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

              >>> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
              >>>
              >>> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
              >>>
              >>> The problems were:
              >>> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
              >>>
              >>> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
              >>>
              >>> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
              >>>
              >>> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
              >>>
              >>> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
              >>
              >> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
              >> source code version [1] and repost it.  Also, please use
              >> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
              >> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
              >> merge asap.
              >>
              >> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >> Björn
              >>

              >> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
              >
              > You got it, dude.
              >
              > Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

              Thanks, but there is a problem:

              checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
              checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
              ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
              checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
              checking Ruby version... OK
              checking Ruby header files...
              /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0

              Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:

              if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then

              Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
              indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
              indented correctly).

              Thanks,

            • Michael Shapiro
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:

                > On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                >>> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                >>> source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
                >>> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                >>> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                >>> merge asap.
                >>>
                >>> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                >>>
                >>> Thanks,
                >>> Björn
                >>>

                >>> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
                >>
                >> You got it, dude.
                >>
                >> Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.
                >
                > Thanks, but there is a problem:
                >
                > checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                > checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                > ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                > checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                > checking Ruby version... OK
                > checking Ruby header files...
                > /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                >
                > Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                >
                > if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                >
                > Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
                > indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                > indented correctly).
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Björn

                Hm, Sorry about that.

                I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                --Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                  On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                  > On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                  >>
                  >> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                  >> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                  >> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                  >> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                  >> checking Ruby version... OK
                  >> checking Ruby header files...
                  >> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                  >>
                  >> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                  >>
                  >>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                  >>
                  >> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                  >> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                  >> indented correctly).
                  >
                  > Hm, Sorry about that.
                  >
                  > I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                  Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                  change by some chance? All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                  lines than the previous patch. Please take another look at the patch
                  and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                  what has actually changed. (Also, you only need to include
                  src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                  test the patch.)

                  Thanks,

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 24, 2010
                    On 28 July 2010 22:10, björn wrote:
                    > On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                    >>>
                    >>> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                    >>> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                    >>> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                    >>> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                    >>> checking Ruby version... OK
                    >>> checking Ruby header files...
                    >>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                    >>>
                    >>> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                    >>>
                    >>>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                    >>>
                    >>> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                    >>> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                    >>> indented correctly).
                    >>
                    >> Hm, Sorry about that.
                    >>
                    >> I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.
                    >
                    > Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                    > change by some chance?  All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                    > lines than the previous patch.  Please take another look at the patch
                    > and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                    > what has actually changed.  (Also, you only need to include
                    > src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                    > test the patch.)

                    Now that the 7.3 release is out of the way I have some time to merge
                    this patch. Michael: can you send me a new (clean) patch based on the
                    latest commit (note that the repo is now at [1])?