Re: MacVim + Ruby 1.9.1

  • Wayne E. Seguin
    Message 1 of 16 , May 11, 2010
      Mike,

      Awesomely done!!! Thank you for this :)

      ~Wayne

      Message 2 of 16 , May 12, 2010
        On 9 May 2010 02:19, Koudelka wrote:
        > Hey guys,
        > I've successfully compiled MacVim with 1.9.1 under rvm.
        >
        > Here are the config.mk values that worked for me:
        > RUBY            = /Users/mikes/.rvm/bin/ruby-1.9.1-p378
        > RUBY_SRC        = if_ruby.c
        > RUBY_OBJ        = objects/if_ruby.o
        > RUBY_PRO        = if_ruby.pro
        > RUBY_CFLAGS     = -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
        > ruby-1.9.1 -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
        > ruby-1.9.1/i386-darwin10.3.1 -DRUBY_VERSION=19
        > RUBY_LIBS       = -lruby-static -lpthread -ldl -lobjc -L/Users/mikes/.rvm/
        > rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib
        >
        > I've hacked up the configure.in file, too. This is the first time I've
        > touched an autoconf file, so I can't promise that it has decent style.
        > But it seems to work, and I don't think it sacrifices backwards
        > compatibility.
        >
        > The main problem is that vi_cv_path_ruby was never set, so the entire
        > conditional for custom rubies was never evaluated.
        >
        > The diff: http://gist.github.com/394844

        Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
        is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
        you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
        I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

        I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
        what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
        something else going on?

      • Michael Shapiro
        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2010
          On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:

          > Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
          > is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
          > you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
          > I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

          I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.

          vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
          --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.

          MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
          --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
          --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)

          From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

          > I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
          > what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
          > something else going on?

          Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.

          Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996

          The problems were:
          1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.

          2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.

          3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.

          The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.

          Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

          --Mike

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
            On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
            > On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
            >
            >> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
            >> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)?  If so, could
            >> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev?  Otherwise
            >> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
            >
            > I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
            >
            > vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
            >
            > MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
            >  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
            >
            > From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
            >

            >> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
            >> what it does?  Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
            >> something else going on?
            >
            > Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
            >
            > Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
            >
            > The problems were:
            > 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
            >
            > 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
            >
            > 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
            >
            > The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
            >
            > Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

            Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
            source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
            git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
            As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
            merge asap.

            Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!

            Thanks,
            Björn

            [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

          • Michael Shapiro
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
              On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

              > On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
              >> On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
              >>
              >>> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
              >>> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
              >>> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
              >>> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
              >>
              >> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
              >>
              >> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
              >>
              >> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
              >> --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
              >>
              >> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
              >>

              >>> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
              >>> what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
              >>> something else going on?
              >>
              >> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
              >>
              >> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
              >>
              >> The problems were:
              >> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
              >>
              >> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
              >>
              >> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
              >>
              >> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
              >>
              >> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
              >
              > Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
              > source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
              > git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
              > As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
              > merge asap.
              >
              > Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Björn
              >

              > [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

              You got it, dude.

              Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

              I forked the repo, if you'd prefer just a pull request. ( http://github.com/koudelka/macvim/commit/e550f312ee25696c4245fb9e2b58bfb0c78da05e )

              --Mike

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                > On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

                >>> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
                >>>
                >>> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
                >>>
                >>> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
                >>>  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
                >>>
                >>> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

                >>> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
                >>>
                >>> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
                >>>
                >>> The problems were:
                >>> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
                >>>
                >>> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
                >>>
                >>> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
                >>>
                >>> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
                >>>
                >>> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
                >>
                >> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                >> source code version [1] and repost it.  Also, please use
                >> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                >> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                >> merge asap.
                >>
                >> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >> Björn
                >>

                >> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
                >
                > You got it, dude.
                >
                > Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

                Thanks, but there is a problem:

                checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                checking Ruby version... OK
                checking Ruby header files...
                /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0

                Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:

                if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then

                Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
                indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                indented correctly).

                Thanks,

              • Michael Shapiro
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                  On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:

                  > On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                  >>> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                  >>> source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
                  >>> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                  >>> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                  >>> merge asap.
                  >>>
                  >>> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks,
                  >>> Björn
                  >>>

                  >>> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
                  >>
                  >> You got it, dude.
                  >>
                  >> Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.
                  >
                  > Thanks, but there is a problem:
                  >
                  > checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                  > checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                  > ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                  > checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                  > checking Ruby version... OK
                  > checking Ruby header files...
                  > /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                  >
                  > Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                  >
                  > if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                  >
                  > Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
                  > indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                  > indented correctly).
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Björn

                  Hm, Sorry about that.

                  I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                  --Mike
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                    On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                    > On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                    >>
                    >> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                    >> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                    >> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                    >> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                    >> checking Ruby version... OK
                    >> checking Ruby header files...
                    >> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                    >>
                    >> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                    >>
                    >>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                    >>
                    >> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                    >> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                    >> indented correctly).
                    >
                    > Hm, Sorry about that.
                    >
                    > I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                    Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                    change by some chance? All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                    lines than the previous patch. Please take another look at the patch
                    and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                    what has actually changed. (Also, you only need to include
                    src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                    test the patch.)

                    Thanks,

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 24, 2010
                      On 28 July 2010 22:10, björn wrote:
                      > On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                      >>
                      >> On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                      >>>
                      >>> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                      >>> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                      >>> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                      >>> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                      >>> checking Ruby version... OK
                      >>> checking Ruby header files...
                      >>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                      >>>
                      >>> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                      >>>
                      >>>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                      >>>
                      >>> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                      >>> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                      >>> indented correctly).
                      >>
                      >> Hm, Sorry about that.
                      >>
                      >> I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.
                      >
                      > Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                      > change by some chance?  All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                      > lines than the previous patch.  Please take another look at the patch
                      > and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                      > what has actually changed.  (Also, you only need to include
                      > src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                      > test the patch.)

                      Now that the 7.3 release is out of the way I have some time to merge
                      this patch. Michael: can you send me a new (clean) patch based on the
                      latest commit (note that the repo is now at [1])?