Re: MacVim + Ruby 1.9.1

  • Koudelka
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 2010
      Hey guys,
      I've successfully compiled MacVim with 1.9.1 under rvm.

      Here are the config.mk values that worked for me:
      RUBY = /Users/mikes/.rvm/bin/ruby-1.9.1-p378
      RUBY_SRC = if_ruby.c
      RUBY_OBJ = objects/if_ruby.o
      RUBY_PRO = if_ruby.pro
      RUBY_CFLAGS = -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
      ruby-1.9.1 -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
      ruby-1.9.1/i386-darwin10.3.1 -DRUBY_VERSION=19
      RUBY_LIBS = -lruby-static -lpthread -ldl -lobjc -L/Users/mikes/.rvm/
      rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib

      I've hacked up the configure.in file, too. This is the first time I've
      touched an autoconf file, so I can't promise that it has decent style.
      But it seems to work, and I don't think it sacrifices backwards
      compatibility.

      The main problem is that vi_cv_path_ruby was never set, so the entire
      conditional for custom rubies was never evaluated.

      The diff: http://gist.github.com/394844

      Going to go cry now.

      --Mike

      On Mar 29, 1:09 pm, "Wayne E. Seguin" <wayneeseg...@...> wrote:
      > Fair enough :) I'd suggest trying the ~/.rvm/bin/ruby-1.9.1-p378 wrapper script.
      >

      > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM, Wincent Colaiuta <w...@...> wrote:
      > > Thanks for the help.
      >
      > > As a first step I hacked the src/auto/config.mk file by hand to see if
      > > I could get "make" to work without errors, setting the Ruby values
      > > like this:
      >
      > > RUBY            = /Users/wincent/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/bin/ruby

    • Wayne E. Seguin
      Message 2 of 16 , May 11, 2010
        Mike,

        Awesomely done!!! Thank you for this :)

        ~Wayne

        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2010
          On 9 May 2010 02:19, Koudelka wrote:
          > Hey guys,
          > I've successfully compiled MacVim with 1.9.1 under rvm.
          >
          > Here are the config.mk values that worked for me:
          > RUBY            = /Users/mikes/.rvm/bin/ruby-1.9.1-p378
          > RUBY_SRC        = if_ruby.c
          > RUBY_OBJ        = objects/if_ruby.o
          > RUBY_PRO        = if_ruby.pro
          > RUBY_CFLAGS     = -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
          > ruby-1.9.1 -I/Users/mikes/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/include/
          > ruby-1.9.1/i386-darwin10.3.1 -DRUBY_VERSION=19
          > RUBY_LIBS       = -lruby-static -lpthread -ldl -lobjc -L/Users/mikes/.rvm/
          > rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib
          >
          > I've hacked up the configure.in file, too. This is the first time I've
          > touched an autoconf file, so I can't promise that it has decent style.
          > But it seems to work, and I don't think it sacrifices backwards
          > compatibility.
          >
          > The main problem is that vi_cv_path_ruby was never set, so the entire
          > conditional for custom rubies was never evaluated.
          >
          > The diff: http://gist.github.com/394844

          Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
          is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
          you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
          I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

          I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
          what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
          something else going on?

        • Michael Shapiro
          Message 4 of 16 , May 12, 2010
            On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:

            > Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
            > is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
            > you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
            > I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.

            I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.

            vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.

            MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
            --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
            --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)

            From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

            > I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
            > what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
            > something else going on?

            Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.

            Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996

            The problems were:
            1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.

            2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.

            3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.

            The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.

            Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

            --Mike

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
              On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
              > On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
              >
              >> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
              >> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)?  If so, could
              >> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev?  Otherwise
              >> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
              >
              > I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
              >
              > vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
              >
              > MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
              >  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
              >  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
              >
              > From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
              >

              >> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
              >> what it does?  Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
              >> something else going on?
              >
              > Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
              >
              > Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
              >
              > The problems were:
              > 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
              >
              > 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
              >
              > 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
              >
              > The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
              >
              > Hope that clear things up a bit. :)

              Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
              source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
              git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
              As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
              merge asap.

              Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!

              Thanks,
              Björn

              [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

            • Michael Shapiro
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

                > On 12 May 2010 21:15, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                >> On May 12, 2010, at 1:39 PM, björn wrote:
                >>
                >>> Should this patch be made against mainline Vim instead of MacVim (i.e.
                >>> is there any other platform that might benefit from it)? If so, could
                >>> you please create a new patch and send it on to vim_dev? Otherwise
                >>> I'll merge it with the MacVim repo.
                >>
                >> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
                >>
                >> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
                >>
                >> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                >> --enable-rubyinterp Include Ruby interpreter.
                >> --with-ruby-command=RUBY name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
                >>
                >> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.
                >>

                >>> I took a quick look at the patch but it is not entirely clear to me
                >>> what it does? Is it only vi_cv_path_ruby that is set earlier or is
                >>> something else going on?
                >>
                >> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
                >>
                >> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
                >>
                >> The problems were:
                >> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
                >>
                >> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
                >>
                >> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
                >>
                >> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
                >>
                >> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
                >
                > Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                > source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
                > git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                > As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                > merge asap.
                >
                > Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Björn
                >

                > [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

                You got it, dude.

                Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

                I forked the repo, if you'd prefer just a pull request. ( http://github.com/koudelka/macvim/commit/e550f312ee25696c4245fb9e2b58bfb0c78da05e )

                --Mike

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                  On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                  > On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:31 PM, björn wrote:

                  >>> I pulled the vim 7.2 source from http://www.vim.org/sources.php and poked around for ruby config arguments. The 'provide your own ruby' option is missing.
                  >>>
                  >>> vim72 $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                  >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
                  >>>
                  >>> MacVim $ ./configure --help | grep ruby
                  >>>  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
                  >>>  --with-ruby-command=RUBY  name of the Ruby command (default: ruby)
                  >>>
                  >>> From the OS X-specific nature of the --with-ruby-command option in configure.in, it looks like it wasn't written with other platforms in mind. If it were to be submitted to vim_dev, it should probably be generalized for linux and windows.

                  >>> Sorry about the messy patch, I was correcting the indenting at the same time.
                  >>>
                  >>> Here's a far better patch. http://gist.github.com/398996
                  >>>
                  >>> The problems were:
                  >>> 1. The original --with-ruby-command assumed that the provided ruby was in the users PATH, and not an absolute path to a ruby binary. (AC_PATH_PROG by default looks in the user's PATH). I've corrected this by providing the path to the binary to AC_PATH_PROG.
                  >>>
                  >>> 2. If a custom ruby is provided, we don't want to use -framework Ruby. There's a conditional to check for that now.
                  >>>
                  >>> 3. The bit of ruby used as a fallback to provide library directories assumed that "." would be one of them. I've corrected that.
                  >>>
                  >>> The embedded conditional does some checks for ruby on previous versions of OS X, I don't know enough about the state of old versions, so I just left it as the default behavior if an absolute-pathed ruby isn't provided.
                  >>>
                  >>> Hope that clear things up a bit. :)
                  >>
                  >> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                  >> source code version [1] and repost it.  Also, please use
                  >> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                  >> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                  >> merge asap.
                  >>
                  >> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Björn
                  >>

                  >> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
                  >
                  > You got it, dude.
                  >
                  > Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.

                  Thanks, but there is a problem:

                  checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                  checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                  ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                  checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                  checking Ruby version... OK
                  checking Ruby header files...
                  /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0

                  Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:

                  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then

                  Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
                  indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                  indented correctly).

                  Thanks,

                • Michael Shapiro
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 26, 2010
                    On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:

                    > On 26 July 2010 21:14, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                    >>> Mike, could you do me a favor and update this patch against the latest
                    >>> source code version [1] and repost it. Also, please use
                    >>> git-format-patch so that you get listed as the author of the patch.
                    >>> As soon as you send me an updated patch I'll take a look at it and
                    >>> merge asap.
                    >>>
                    >>> Sorry for taking so long to respond to this patch!
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks,
                    >>> Björn
                    >>>

                    >>> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim
                    >>
                    >> You got it, dude.
                    >>
                    >> Tested on 10.6.4 with ruby 1.9.1-p378 built by RVM.
                    >
                    > Thanks, but there is a problem:
                    >
                    > checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                    > checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                    > ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                    > checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                    > checking Ruby version... OK
                    > checking Ruby header files...
                    > /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                    >
                    > Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                    >
                    > if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                    >
                    > Can you fix this and resend the patch? Also, be careful with
                    > indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                    > indented correctly).
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Björn

                    Hm, Sorry about that.

                    I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                    --Mike
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                      On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:

                      > On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                      >>
                      >> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                      >> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                      >> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                      >> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                      >> checking Ruby version... OK
                      >> checking Ruby header files...
                      >> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                      >>
                      >> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                      >>
                      >>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                      >>
                      >> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                      >> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                      >> indented correctly).
                      >
                      > Hm, Sorry about that.
                      >
                      > I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.

                      Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                      change by some chance? All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                      lines than the previous patch. Please take another look at the patch
                      and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                      what has actually changed. (Also, you only need to include
                      src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                      test the patch.)

                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 24, 2010
                        On 28 July 2010 22:10, björn wrote:
                        > On 27 July 2010 02:34, Michael Shapiro wrote:
                        >>
                        >> On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:31 PM, björn wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks, but there is a problem:
                        >>>
                        >>> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
                        >>> checking --with-ruby-command argument... defaulting to ruby
                        >>> ./configure: line 5780: test: !=: unary operator expected
                        >>> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
                        >>> checking Ruby version... OK
                        >>> checking Ruby header files...
                        >>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
                        >>>
                        >>> Line 5780 comes from the following fragment in configure.in:
                        >>>
                        >>>  if test $RUBY_PATH != $RUBY_CMD; then
                        >>>
                        >>> Can you fix this and resend the patch?  Also, be careful with
                        >>> indentation, make sure you have "set noet" (some lines were not
                        >>> indented correctly).
                        >>
                        >> Hm, Sorry about that.
                        >>
                        >> I've fixed the indenting and removed the need for that conditional completely.
                        >
                        > Hmmm...have you re-indented lots of lines that your patch didn't
                        > change by some chance?  All of a sudden the patch touches a lot more
                        > lines than the previous patch.  Please take another look at the patch
                        > and send me a minimal patch, otherwise it is difficult for me to see
                        > what has actually changed.  (Also, you only need to include
                        > src/configure.in -- I'll generate a new src/configure on my own when I
                        > test the patch.)

                        Now that the 7.3 release is out of the way I have some time to merge
                        this patch. Michael: can you send me a new (clean) patch based on the
                        latest commit (note that the repo is now at [1])?