Re: Re(2): Building Carbon version with Unix Makefile

  • Eric Y. Kow
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
      Hi list,

      If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
      to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
      the Vim.app pkg.

      Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
      path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
      experiencing.

      I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

      --eric

      also, some minor unrelated notes
      --------------------------------

      1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to
      the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

      2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

      3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
      If not, we might as well include them, eh?

      --
      Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
      PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon français.
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
        Eric Kow wrote:

        > If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
        > to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
        > the Vim.app pkg.
        >
        > Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
        > path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
        > experiencing.
        >
        > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

        Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
        changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
        building Vim.

        > also, some minor unrelated notes
        > --------------------------------
        >
        > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
        > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

        Where is this?

        > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

        Yes, the INSTALLmac.txt file should be updated. Please make a patch for
        this.

        > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
        > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

        The Icon currently used is small, which looks ugly in the dock. A
        bigger icon would be much nicer.

        --
        Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

      • Eric Y. Kow
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003

          Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121

          Problem: Mac: resource files not found
          installation documentation out of synch
          Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
          Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks
          Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
          runtime.
          Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
          Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
          Remove spurious Makefile comments
          Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c

          > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
          > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

          See attached patch

          > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

          See attached patch

          > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
          > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

          See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
          Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

          --eric

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
            On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:14:16 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
            > > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c
            >
            > Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
            > changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
            > building Vim.

            This would break any method which does not copy the runtime directory
            into the Vim.app bundle.

            Hopefully, the Taro Make_osx.mak approach is no longer needed, as it has
            been incorporated into the Makefile (right?) and anybody really keen
            on using ProjectBuilder will make the appropriate modifications.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
              Eric Kow wrote:

              > Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121
              >
              > Problem: Mac: resource files not found
              > installation documentation out of synch
              > Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
              > Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks=20
              > Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
              > runtime.
              > Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
              > Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
              > Remove spurious Makefile comments
              > Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c
              >
              > > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=3D20
              > > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)
              >
              > See attached patch=20
              >
              > > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?
              >
              > See attached patch
              >
              > > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
              > > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?
              >
              > See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
              > Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

              Thanks. I'll include this and verify if it works for me.

              238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

            • Axel Kielhorn
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                At 22:29 Uhr +0200 2003-10-13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                >I have just sent patch 6.2.118 to the vim-dev maillist. This makes it
                >possible to build the Carbon version with the Unix Makefile:
                >
                > make
                > make install
                >
                >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
                >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
                >
                >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
                >
                >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other
                >Mac stuff is still working!

                I build Vim 6.2.121 for MacOS Classic without problems and will
                upload a new archive next weekend.

                Axel