Enter key vs. return key

  • Benjamin Esham
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2010
      Hi all,

      I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro. I would like to
      define
      separate mappings for my Return and Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
      Doing
      "nmap <Enter> ..." just overrides the mapping I had set up for <CR>
      (i.e.
      the Return key). I know it must be possible to have separate mappings
      because the Enter key currently behaves like the + command, regardless
      of
      what the Return key does.

      Thanks for any help with this!
      --
      Benjamin D. Esham ][ bdesham@... ][ PGP 0xD676BB9A
      "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun."

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2010
        On 17 April 2010 15:22, Benjamin Esham wrote:

        > I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro.  I would like to
        > define
        > separate mappings for my Return and Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
        > Doing
        > "nmap <Enter> ..." just overrides the mapping I had set up for <CR>
        > (i.e.
        > the Return key).  I know it must be possible to have separate mappings
        > because the Enter key currently behaves like the + command, regardless
        > of
        > what the Return key does.

        Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.

        Björn

        (By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may want to upgrade.)

      • Benjamin Esham
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2010
          björn wrote:

          > Benjamin Esham wrote:
          >
          > > I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro. I
          > > would like to define separate mappings for my Return and
          > > Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
          >
          > Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.

          That worked great, thanks! (Is this something that should
          be in the main Vim documentation, or is it a MacVim-specific
          extension?)

          > (By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may
          > want to upgrade.)

          Thanks for the tip. Oddly, the "check for updates..." menu
          item is grayed out for me in snapshots 50 and 52; is this a
          known issue? I had been using snapshot 50 for at least six
          weeks without it prompting me to update.

          Cheers,
          --
          Benjamin D. Esham
          bdesham@...

        • Israel Chauca F.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2010
            On Apr 18, 2010, at 7:42 PM, Benjamin Esham wrote:

            > björn wrote:
            >
            >> Benjamin Esham wrote:
            >>
            >>> I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro. I
            >>> would like to define separate mappings for my Return and
            >>> Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
            >>
            >> Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.
            >
            > That worked great, thanks! (Is this something that should
            > be in the main Vim documentation, or is it a MacVim-specific
            > extension?)

            See :help kEnter

            >> (By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may
            >> want to upgrade.)
            >
            > Thanks for the tip. Oddly, the "check for updates..." menu
            > item is grayed out for me in snapshots 50 and 52; is this a
            > known issue? I had been using snapshot 50 for at least six
            > weeks without it prompting me to update.

            I think it's disabled for now, you have to download the snapshot yourself.

            Cheers,
            Israel