Re(2): Building Carbon version with Unix Makefile

  • Emily Jackson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
      At 8:46 AM -0500 on Tuesday, October 14, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
      <Bram@...> wrote:

      >Emily jackson wrote:
      >
      >> At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
      >> <Bram@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
      >> >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
      >> >
      >> >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
      >> >
      >> >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
      >> >stuff is still working!
      >>
      >> "make install" failed for me:
      >>
      >> cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      >> Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
      >> (eventually). Stop.
      >> make: *** [install] Error 2
      >
      >Hmm. Did you use the version with "+=" or the fixed version:
      >
      > M4FLAGS = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
      >
      >I suppose we can use another name for the variable to solve this:
      >
      > M4FLAGSX = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
      >
      >And then change "M4FLAGS" to "M4FLAGSX" below. Please let me know if
      >that fixes the problem.

      I've tried editing the patch as you describe, but the edited version does
      not apply cleanly (I am using patches 1-121). The version of the patch I
      have had this line:

      M4FLAGS += -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_VER=$(VERSION)...

      Thanks,

      Emily
    • Emily Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
        <Bram@...> wrote:

        >Emily jackson wrote:
        >
        >> At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
        >> <Bram@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
        >> >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
        >> >
        >> >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
        >> >
        >> >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
        >> >stuff is still working!
        >>
        >> "make install" failed for me:
        >>
        >> cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        >> Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
        >> (eventually). Stop.
        >> make: *** [install] Error 2
        >
        >Hmm. Did you use the version with "+=" or the fixed version:
        >
        > M4FLAGS = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
        >
        >I suppose we can use another name for the variable to solve this:
        >
        > M4FLAGSX = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
        >
        >And then change "M4FLAGS" to "M4FLAGSX" below. Please let me know if
        >that fixes the problem.

        I later realized that the 6.2.121 patch affected the 6.2.118 patch. I
        edited the 6.2.118 patch and left out the 6.2.121 patch. "make install"
        worked this time, but the resulting program can't find Vim's runtime
        files. The only workaround I could find was to copy the runtime folder
        within the Vim.app package to /Applications.

        Emily
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
          Emily jackson wrote:

          > I later realized that the 6.2.121 patch affected the 6.2.118 patch. I
          > edited the 6.2.118 patch and left out the 6.2.121 patch. "make install"
          > worked this time, but the resulting program can't find Vim's runtime
          > files. The only workaround I could find was to copy the runtime folder
          > within the Vim.app package to /Applications.

          What works for me is, after doing "make install":

          open Vim.app

          That's in the Vim source directory.

          We still need to decide how "make install" moves the stuff from Vim.app
          to a global directory, such as /Applications. We could simply put the
          Vim.app directory there, but what to do if there already is one?

          223. You set up a web-cam as your home's security system.

        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
            * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [2003-10-14T13:40:22]
            > We still need to decide how "make install" moves the stuff from Vim.app
            > to a global directory, such as /Applications. We could simply put the
            > Vim.app directory there, but what to do if there already is one?

            On *nix, it would just overwrite, right? So should be be on MacOS. Is
            --prefix respected properly?

            --
            rjbs
          • Eric Y. Kow
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
              Hi list,

              If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
              to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
              the Vim.app pkg.

              Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
              path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
              experiencing.

              I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

              --eric

              also, some minor unrelated notes
              --------------------------------

              1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to
              the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

              2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

              3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
              If not, we might as well include them, eh?

              --
              Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
              PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon français.
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                Eric Kow wrote:

                > If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
                > to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
                > the Vim.app pkg.
                >
                > Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
                > path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
                > experiencing.
                >
                > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

                Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
                changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
                building Vim.

                > also, some minor unrelated notes
                > --------------------------------
                >
                > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
                > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

                Where is this?

                > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

                Yes, the INSTALLmac.txt file should be updated. Please make a patch for
                this.

                > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

                The Icon currently used is small, which looks ugly in the dock. A
                bigger icon would be much nicer.

                --
                Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

              • Eric Y. Kow
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003

                  Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121

                  Problem: Mac: resource files not found
                  installation documentation out of synch
                  Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
                  Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks
                  Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
                  runtime.
                  Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
                  Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
                  Remove spurious Makefile comments
                  Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c

                  > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
                  > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

                  See attached patch

                  > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

                  See attached patch

                  > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                  > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

                  See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
                  Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

                  --eric

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                    On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:14:16 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                    > > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c
                    >
                    > Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
                    > changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
                    > building Vim.

                    This would break any method which does not copy the runtime directory
                    into the Vim.app bundle.

                    Hopefully, the Taro Make_osx.mak approach is no longer needed, as it has
                    been incorporated into the Makefile (right?) and anybody really keen
                    on using ProjectBuilder will make the appropriate modifications.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                      Eric Kow wrote:

                      > Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121
                      >
                      > Problem: Mac: resource files not found
                      > installation documentation out of synch
                      > Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
                      > Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks=20
                      > Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
                      > runtime.
                      > Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
                      > Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
                      > Remove spurious Makefile comments
                      > Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c
                      >
                      > > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=3D20
                      > > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)
                      >
                      > See attached patch=20
                      >
                      > > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?
                      >
                      > See attached patch
                      >
                      > > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                      > > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?
                      >
                      > See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
                      > Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

                      Thanks. I'll include this and verify if it works for me.

                      238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

                    • Axel Kielhorn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                        At 22:29 Uhr +0200 2003-10-13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        >I have just sent patch 6.2.118 to the vim-dev maillist. This makes it
                        >possible to build the Carbon version with the Unix Makefile:
                        >
                        > make
                        > make install
                        >
                        >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
                        >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
                        >
                        >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
                        >
                        >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other
                        >Mac stuff is still working!

                        I build Vim 6.2.121 for MacOS Classic without problems and will
                        upload a new archive next weekend.

                        Axel