Re: Conceal Patch / MacVim

  • Nicholas Cole
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
      On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
      > Nicholas Cole wrote:
      >> Has anyone managed to build MacVim with Vince Negri's Conceal
      >> patch ( http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/ )
      >
      > I tried late last December. At the time, the latest Vim was
      > 7.2.323 and after quite a bit of trouble I modified Vince's
      > patch (which is based on Vim 7.2.141) so I got a successful
      > build (and I carefully checked that I had not broken the patch).
      >
      > In testing, it seemed to work (I was interested mainly in
      > cursorbind because Vim's scrollbind is extremely irritating
      > under certain conditions when doing a diff).
      >
      > However, when I used the patched Vim with tab pages (not using
      > any of the Conceal patch features), the patched Vim would
      > frequently crash.
      >
      > Following is the last note that I wrote while testing:
      >    OMG looks like following is enough to crash:
      >    gvim -N -u NONE
      >    :tabnew
      >    :syn off
      >
      > The issue is still on my todo list. I was thinking of updating
      > the patch to apply it with the current Vim version, then
      > emailing Vince and asking for help (I have looked at the code
      > and it is extremely complex). I should mention that I do not use
      > a Mac (I scan this list only because I am one of the managers
      > who approve new members in order to avoid spam).
      >
      > John

      Dear John,

      Thank you for the information and the warning! It really would be
      fantastic to have a version of this that worked with a modern vim,
      although I do appreciate that this seems to be something of a niche
      requirement (I've used it in the past to make editing very large LaTeX
      projects less painful). So thank you in advance for whenever it makes
      it to the top of your To-Do list!

      Best wishes,

      Nicholas