Conceal Patch / MacVim

  • Nicholas Cole
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
      Dear All,

      Has anyone managed to build MacVim with Vince Negri's Conceal patch

      ( http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/ )

      applied?

      Oh, how I wish it was part of standard vim. But since it
      isn't.....I've tried to apply it and failed. Has anyone succeeded?

      Best wishes,

      Nicholas

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
        I couldn't apply it to my repository as I'm at patch level 411,
        Vince's patch is against patch-level 141.
        If Vince wants to merge to trunk, I'll make a build.

        BTW: What does it do?

        Craig

        On Apr 6, 12:46 pm, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.c...@...> wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > Has anyone managed to build MacVim with Vince Negri's Conceal patch
        >
        > (http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/)
        >
        > applied?
        >
        > Oh, how I wish it was part of standard vim.  But since it
        > isn't.....I've tried to apply it and failed.  Has anyone succeeded?
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Nicholas

      • Nicholas Cole
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
          On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Craig <craig.emery@...> wrote:
          > I couldn't apply it to my repository as I'm at patch level 411,
          > Vince's patch is against patch-level 141.
          > If Vince wants to merge to trunk, I'll make a build.
          >
          > BTW: What does it do?

          It lets you fold within lines as well as whole lines, so that you can
          hide part of a line....very useful for things like LaTeX editing.

          I'm afraid I didn't quite follow the 411 / 141 distinction....

          Best wishes,

          Nichoals

        • Nicholas Cole
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
            > It lets you fold within lines as well as whole lines, so that you can
            > hide part of a line....very useful for things like LaTeX editing.
            >
            > I'm afraid I didn't quite follow the 411 / 141 distinction....

            Oh, sorry. Version numbers....

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
              Nicholas Cole wrote:
              > Has anyone managed to build MacVim with Vince Negri's Conceal
              > patch ( http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/ )

              I tried late last December. At the time, the latest Vim was
              7.2.323 and after quite a bit of trouble I modified Vince's
              patch (which is based on Vim 7.2.141) so I got a successful
              build (and I carefully checked that I had not broken the patch).

              In testing, it seemed to work (I was interested mainly in
              cursorbind because Vim's scrollbind is extremely irritating
              under certain conditions when doing a diff).

              However, when I used the patched Vim with tab pages (not using
              any of the Conceal patch features), the patched Vim would
              frequently crash.

              Following is the last note that I wrote while testing:
              OMG looks like following is enough to crash:
              gvim -N -u NONE
              :tabnew
              :syn off

              The issue is still on my todo list. I was thinking of updating
              the patch to apply it with the current Vim version, then
              emailing Vince and asking for help (I have looked at the code
              and it is extremely complex). I should mention that I do not use
              a Mac (I scan this list only because I am one of the managers
              who approve new members in order to avoid spam).

              John

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2010
                Craig wrote:
                > BTW: What does it do?

                It's a bit complex to quickly explain but the idea is to have
                two views on the same file where one view shows all the markup
                details of a LaTeX file, while the other view shows just the
                text that will be visible when the code is rendered to a printed
                page. It provides three unrelated features:
                'cursorbind' : move cursor in both windows when scrolling
                'conceal' : replace or hide text matching a pattern
                :ownsyntax : buffer has different syntax rules in each window

                There is some info here:
                http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/concealownsyntaxforvim
                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_to_conceal_parts_of_lines

                The latter is out of date (but the intro still applies).

                John

              • Nicholas Cole
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
                  On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                  > Nicholas Cole wrote:
                  >> Has anyone managed to build MacVim with Vince Negri's Conceal
                  >> patch ( http://sites.google.com/site/vincenegri/ )
                  >
                  > I tried late last December. At the time, the latest Vim was
                  > 7.2.323 and after quite a bit of trouble I modified Vince's
                  > patch (which is based on Vim 7.2.141) so I got a successful
                  > build (and I carefully checked that I had not broken the patch).
                  >
                  > In testing, it seemed to work (I was interested mainly in
                  > cursorbind because Vim's scrollbind is extremely irritating
                  > under certain conditions when doing a diff).
                  >
                  > However, when I used the patched Vim with tab pages (not using
                  > any of the Conceal patch features), the patched Vim would
                  > frequently crash.
                  >
                  > Following is the last note that I wrote while testing:
                  >    OMG looks like following is enough to crash:
                  >    gvim -N -u NONE
                  >    :tabnew
                  >    :syn off
                  >
                  > The issue is still on my todo list. I was thinking of updating
                  > the patch to apply it with the current Vim version, then
                  > emailing Vince and asking for help (I have looked at the code
                  > and it is extremely complex). I should mention that I do not use
                  > a Mac (I scan this list only because I am one of the managers
                  > who approve new members in order to avoid spam).
                  >
                  > John

                  Dear John,

                  Thank you for the information and the warning! It really would be
                  fantastic to have a version of this that worked with a modern vim,
                  although I do appreciate that this seems to be something of a niche
                  requirement (I've used it in the past to make editing very large LaTeX
                  projects less painful). So thank you in advance for whenever it makes
                  it to the top of your To-Do list!

                  Best wishes,

                  Nicholas