Vim for iPad

  • me
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3 10:35 AM
      Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?

    • Ren? K?cher
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3 10:39 AM
        What would you expect to do with it?

        The iPad has no filesystem access.
        All you could do is edit documents local to mvim using the onscreen
        keyboard (and there would be a need for desktop sync and AppStore
        approval)

        Sent from my iPhone
        -- no funny signature here

        Am 03.04.2010 um 19:35 schrieb me <mburge@...>:

        > Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?
        >
        > --

      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 11:43 AM
          On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 07:39:52PM +0200, Ren? K?cher wrote:
          > What would you expect to do with it?
          >
          > The iPad has no filesystem access.
          > All you could do is edit documents local to mvim using the onscreen
          > keyboard (and there would be a need for desktop sync and AppStore
          > approval)

          Actually, netrw would make it a lot more useful than that. Also, the iPad
          SDK lets you set up a directory that will be mounted as a filesystem when
          the iPad is plugged in. And, of course, you can use an external keyboard
          with it (either bluetooth or the fancy dock). So, yeah, not so terrible an
          idea.

          --Greg

          > Am 03.04.2010 um 19:35 schrieb me <mburge@...>:
          >
          > > Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?
          > >
          > > --
          > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.

          > --

        • Steven Michalske
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3 12:27 PM
            On Apr 3, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+vim@...
            > wrote:

            > On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 07:39:52PM +0200, Ren? K?cher wrote:
            >> What would you expect to do with it?
            >>
            >> The iPad has no filesystem access.
            >> All you could do is edit documents local to mvim using the onscreen
            >> keyboard (and there would be a need for desktop sync and AppStore
            >> approval)
            >
            > Actually, netrw would make it a lot more useful than that. Also, the
            > iPad
            > SDK lets you set up a directory that will be mounted as a filesystem
            > when
            > the iPad is plugged in. And, of course, you can use an external
            > keyboard
            > with it (either bluetooth or the fancy dock). So, yeah, not so
            > terrible an
            > idea.
            >
            > --Greg

            Even connect to a remote vim server

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3 12:48 PM
              On 3 April 2010 19:35, me wrote:
              > Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?

              I was going to take a look when the SDK becomes publicly available (is
              it already?).

              Getting something running is probably the easiest part -- as far as I
              understand things Apple would probably object to the possibility of
              running (Vim-) scripts willy-nilly, so my guess is that the hardest
              part is getting such an app accepted.

              I have not yet gotten into iPhone/iPod(/iPad) development because of
              the "entrance fee" (paying $$$ just to play around with it seemed a
              bit silly) so anybody else on this track may want to do this instead
              of me. I'll always be open for discussions/answer questions in case
              anybody gets started.

              As far as the use of such an app...well...with an external keyboard it
              would be usable, but I can't see many people lugging around a keyboard
              and an iPad (wouldn't it be easier to just take a MacBook Air?). It
              would still be fun to have Vim on this device (whatever use it may
              have) so eventually I will look into this unless somebody beats me to
              it. :-)

            • dacresni
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 6 10:11 PM
                there would have to be some serious networking work done. the iPad/
                iPhone OS is reminiscent of BitFrost (there's a reason for that) in
                the fact that this app can't just edit any file, only files it's
                created. There is no central filesystem quite like on the OLPC (or was
                there?). so you would wind up connecting to vim servers or net-edit
                only. perhaps you could edit network filesystems but then we would
                have to meld this with another program or something.

                On Apr 3, 12:35 pm, me <mbu...@...> wrote:
                > Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?

              • Wayne E. Seguin
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 7 6:23 AM
                  Beyond the 'pretty UI' it might be more trouble than it's worth.

                  I use the iSSH application and use vim in console right on my servers,
                  it works well.

                  ~Wayne

                • Ben Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11 8:08 AM
                    Wouldn't this be heaps easier with vim-cocoa, which doesn't have stacks of
                    interapplication communication which probably doesn't run on the iPad?

                    Ben.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11 8:17 AM
                      On 11 April 2010 17:08, Ben Schmidt wrote:

                      >> Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?
                      >>
                      > Wouldn't this be heaps easier with vim-cocoa, which doesn't have stacks of
                      > interapplication communication which probably doesn't run on the iPad?

                      Yes -- I interpreted the question as porting "vim", not "MacVim.app"
                      specifically. I'm not sure what IPC mechanisms, support for running
                      multiple processes etc. there are in the iPhone SDK (nor whether there
                      would be any point to supporting multiple vim processes on an iPad).

                    • Exc1tebike
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 15, 2010
                        > Has anyone considered porting macvim to the iPad?

                        call me a dork but a local copy of vi would be nice (without
                        jailbreaking) Vim command mode would be so nice for navigation, copy/
                        pasting etc over any touch and drag (pages notes or any other ipad
                        app). Currently i use iSSH and take notes while i'm in class on my
                        desktop at home. will suck the day when i take a class in a room
                        without Wifi or 3g coverage.

                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 20, 2012
                          Hello Vim and iPad users,

                          If you have an iPad, you can now run Vim on it:

                          http://applidium.com/en/applications/vim/

                          Obviously not having a keyboard is a drawback, but otherwise it appears
                          to work well.

                          --
                          CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
                          LARGE MAN: Here's one!

                        • Phil Dobbin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 20, 2012
                            On 20/01/2012 11:43, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                            > Hello Vim and iPad users,
                            >
                            > If you have an iPad, you can now run Vim on it:
                            >
                            > http://applidium.com/en/applications/vim/
                            >
                            > Obviously not having a keyboard is a drawback, but otherwise it appears
                            > to work well.

                            I've installed it on my iPhone & all seems OK. I already use iSSH on the
                            'phone with an Apple wireless keyboard but have yet had the time to try
                            it with Vim. Can't see why it wouldn't work too though.

                            Very cool 20th anniversary item.

                            Cheers,

                            Phil...

                          • Chris Lott
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 20, 2012
                              On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Vim and iPad users,
                              >
                              > If you have an iPad, you can now run Vim on it:
                              >
                              > http://applidium.com/en/applications/vim/
                              >
                              > Obviously not having a keyboard is a drawback, but otherwise it appears
                              > to work well.

                              Wow, what a cool anniversary present. Vim on the iPad is something
                              I've been dreaming about for a while.

                              There's at least one immediate issue for me: if I launch vim with my
                              keyboard already on, the keyboard is non-functional until I turn it
                              off, wait for the on-screen keyboard to launch, then turn it back on
                              again. Obviously kind of a pain.

                              Of course, I assume it is impossible to install plugins?

                              Chris Lott <chris@...>

                            • Andrew Long
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 21, 2012
                                On 20 Jan 2012, at 16:34, Chris Lott wrote:

                                > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> <snip/>
                                >>
                                >> Obviously not having a keyboard is a drawback, but otherwise it appears
                                >> to work well.
                                >
                                > <snip/>
                                >
                                > There's at least one immediate issue for me: if I launch vim with my
                                > keyboard already on, the keyboard is non-functional until I turn it
                                > off, wait for the on-screen keyboard to launch, then turn it back on
                                > again. Obviously kind of a pain.

                                Yes, I had a similar experience, although maybe I'm missing something simple... I found getting into visual (swipe across the screen) or insert (press 'i') mode easy enough, either with the on-screen keyboard, or with the apple wireless keyboard connected, but I couldn't get out back into normal mode; there's no sign of an 'esc' key on the on-screen, and it wasn't listening to the 'esc' key on the wireless...

                                > Of course, I assume it is impossible to install plugins?

                                Or additional syntax files?

                                Regards, Andy

                                --
                                Andrew Long
                                andrew dot long at mac dot com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 21, 2012
                                  @andy: by default, ESC is remapped to the backslash.

                                  On the question of plugins, syntax files, etc., I haven't had too much of a chance to play with this, and I left my wireless keyboard at the office, so I'm a bit hampered for the rest of the weekend. But it seems to find the .vimrc I created in my $HOME directory without any trouble. The only trouble is that you can't upload dot files via iTunes, so if you want to use an existing .vimrc, you'll have to rename it to .vimrc after you've copied it over. You can do this by using netrw's rename command (hit 'R' while the cursor is within the filename).

                                  There is a .vim folder there too. I'm not sure what the best way is to get plugins into the .vim folder: it doesn't show up in iTunes, and you can't copy folders over using iTunes. I tested a simple plugin by copying it over, creating .vim/plugin from within vim using netrw, and then coping the plugin into .vim/plugin/. The plugin works.

                                  I suspect there is no support for python or ruby plugins, and I suspect plugins that call external cli tools are out, so we are limited to "pure" vimscript plugins. It would be neat of there is a way, within these limitations, to unarchive a folder. If so, there would be a reasonable way to install plugins. If not, we have to wait until we have better file transfer options, I assume.

                                  David

                                • Chris Lott
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 21, 2012
                                    On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM, David Sanson <dsanson@...> wrote:
                                    > @andy: by default, ESC is remapped to the backslash.

                                    I'm having similar problems, which could be related, with getting Vim
                                    to recognize my keyboard, despite knowing the ESC key.

                                    Thanks for the info on .vimrc and plugins... it's going to be fun to
                                    play with this.

                                    Chris Lott <chris@...>

                                  • Andrew Long
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 22, 2012
                                      On 21 Jan 2012, at 20:06, David Sanson wrote:

                                      > @andy: by default, ESC is remapped to the backslash.

                                      Thanks for pointing that out... If I wasn't as blind as I am becoming I'd have noticed the disclaimer at the bottom of the page :( I think I need stronger reading glasses!

                                      > On the question of plugins, syntax files, etc., I haven't had too much of a chance to play with this, and I left my wireless keyboard at the office, so I'm a bit hampered for the rest of the weekend. But it seems to find the .vimrc I created in my $HOME directory without any trouble. The only trouble is that you can't upload dot files via iTunes, so if you want to use an existing .vimrc, you'll have to rename it to .vimrc after you've copied it over. You can do this by using netrw's rename command (hit 'R' while the cursor is within the filename).

                                      At first glance, $HOME seems to map to ~ (although it doesn't expand to a full path like my Unix installations do when you try to evaluate them), which looks to be a 'documents' folder under /private/var/mobile/applications/<some long hex representation of the application name>/.

                                      I assume that by 'using iTunes' you mean I should copy a file into the panel to the right of the app when I'm in iTunes and then sync the iPad?

                                      > There is a .vim folder there too. I'm not sure what the best way is to get plugins into the .vim folder: it doesn't show up in iTunes, and you can't copy folders over using iTunes. I tested a simple plugin by copying it over, creating .vim/plugin from within vim using netrw, and then coping the plugin into .vim/plugin/. The plugin works.

                                      I can see I have some serious reading of the :he netrw to do over the next littler while... and not on the iPad, whose screen is a little difficult to read at the moment.

                                      > I suspect there is no support for python or ruby plugins, and I suspect plugins that call external cli tools are out, so we are limited to "pure" vimscript plugins. It would be neat of there is a way, within these limitations, to unarchive a folder. If so, there would be a reasonable way to install plugins. If not, we have to wait until we have better file transfer options, I assume.

                                      I tried a :!ls and got 'cannot fork' as a reply, so I guess you're right about external commands. I think my first task though is going to be to find out how to get arrow keys working again.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 26, 2012
                                        About installing plugins: vimballs seem to work well enough, and don't require futzing around in netrw. Anyone have any tips for creating vimballs from plugins when using Pathogen? I'd like to be able to create vimballs of my favorite (non-python or ruby dependent) plugins on my laptop, and then transfer them over to my iPad. But MkVimball seems to choke on me because the files are in ~/.vim/bundle/pluginname instead of ~/.vim.

                                        Also, anyone using this on a jailbroken iPad? Now that there is an untethered jailbreak for the iPad 2, I am wondering whether that is worth doing. Presumably I could then use a SSH app, like Prompt, to access Vim's folder on the iPad? That would mean I could use scp and git in the usual ways to get stuff into Vim. But then I wonder whether I would just be better off using the console version of Vim available via Cydia, since Prompt has good support for the ESC key on bluetooth keyboards. Or maybe this app also includes a console version of Vim, once I've jailbreaked? Somehow I expect that is not so.

                                      • David Henderson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 26, 2012
                                          On 26 Jan 2012, at 14:20, David Sanson wrote:

                                          About installing plugins: vimballs seem to work well enough, and don't require futzing around in netrw. Anyone have any tips for creating vimballs from plugins when using Pathogen? I'd like to be able to create vimballs of my favorite (non-python or ruby dependent) plugins on my laptop, and then transfer them over to my iPad. But MkVimball seems to choke on me because the files are in ~/.vim/bundle/pluginname instead of ~/.vim.

                                          Creating MkVimball doesn’t care about the directory what it does care about is that the paths to the files are correct. I make vimballs from all the plugins I use as it makes it easier to manage them. I usually create them from within the unzipped folder.  It was slightly non-obvious to me the first time I attempted to create a vimball from a zipped archive. The trick it turned out was to list each file on a separate line with either full or relative path to the directory to which your vimball will get made; then, highlight all the lines and do :MkVimball vimball_name /path/to/vimball. Hope this helps.

                                          David P Henderson
                                          c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
                                          --
                                          "Beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together."
                                              -- Carl Jung

                                        • Zulox4
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
                                            > On 26 Jan 2012, at 14:20, David Sanson wrote:
                                            > About installing plugins: vimballs seem to work well enough, and don't require futzing around in netrw. Anyone have any tips for creating vimballs from plugins when using Pathogen? I'd like to be able to create vimballs of my favorite (non-python or ruby dependent) plugins on my laptop, and then transfer them over to my iPad. But MkVimball seems to choke on me because the files are in ~/.vim/bundle/pluginname instead of ~/.vim.
                                            >
                                            > Creating MkVimball doesn’t care about the directory what it does care about is that the paths to the files are correct. I make vimballs from all the plugins I use as it makes it easier to manage them. I usually create them from within the unzipped folder.  It was slightly non-obvious to me the first time I attempted to create a vimball from a zipped archive. The trick it turned out was to list each file on a separate line with either full or relative path to the directory to which your vimball will get made; then, highlight all the lines and do :MkVimball vimball_name /path/to/vimball. Hope this helps.
                                            >

                                            > David P Henderson
                                            > c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
                                            > --
                                            > "Beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together."
                                            >     -- Carl Jung

                                            This version, without Ctrl key touch, and other bugs, is a useless Vi not iMproved!