Re: E484

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2010
      On 3 April 2010 03:00, LuKreme wrote:
      > On 29-Mar-2010, at 09:56, björn wrote:
      >>
      >> The wordlist should be stored under ~/.vim/spell/, _NOT_ inside the
      >> app bundle so something has gone wrong.
      >
      > I will try moving it then and see how that works. chmod 700 on ~/.vim/ ?
      >
      >>> Why isn't the wordlist stored in ~/Library/Spelling (where the users wordlist is stored)? and why doesn't macvim read the ~/Library/Spelling/[locale] and ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary files as part of the local word list?
      >>
      >> Vim stores user files under ~/.vim -- changing this for MacVim would
      >> not make much sense.  Also, Vim uses its own dictionary format so
      >> integrating this with Mac OS X's own spelling system would not be
      >> easy.
      >
      > First, there is no ~/.vim/ folder, so MacVim didn't create it for me when I installed it nor on first run. I have a .vimrc which I had to create manually, a .gvimrc which I had to create manually, and a .viminfo which I did not create.

      Ah...now I see the problem: if you do not have a ~/.vim folder it will
      add to the spellfile inside the app bundle (I already had a ~/.vim
      folder when I tried). That is not good -- I will have to do something
      about that.

      Note that Vim does not create the ~/.vim folder for you on any
      platform (nor .gvimrc or .vimrc for that matter).

      > Second, the wordlists in ~/Library/Spelling/ are plain UTF-8 text files, exactly the same as the files vim creates to store user words in.
      >
      > # file .../path/to/en.utf-8.add
      > en.utf-8.add: UTF-8 Unicode text
      > # file Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary
      > Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary: UTF-8 Unicode text
      >
      > In fact, I manually imported them into vim by simply doing
      >
      > # cat ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary >> ...path/to/spell/en.utf-8.add

      I do not use the spell feature much so I don't know much about these
      things, but you should probably take a look at ":h :mkspell". Vim
      uses a binary format for dictionaries to improve the speed so you may
      want to convert that dictionary with :mkspell (as far as I understand
      this).

      I'm not sure if it would make sense for MacVim to automatically import
      the OS X dictionary like this...probably not. (?)