Building Carbon version with Unix Makefile

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 13, 2003
      I have just sent patch 6.2.118 to the vim-dev maillist. This makes it
      possible to build the Carbon version with the Unix Makefile:

      make
      make install

      The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
      directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.

      This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.

      I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
      stuff is still working!

      If this works well, I intend to drop other methods for building the
      Carbon version. That reduces the overhead needed for maintaining
      different versions. And since this method is almost identical to
      building the Unix version, including using the configure script,
      improvements in the Unix version are almost automatically carried over
      to the Carbon version.

      Todo:
      - "make install" should put the files somewhere.
      - Create a package from Vim.app that can be uploaded.

      198. You read all the quotes at Netaholics Anonymous and keep thinking
      "What's wrong with that?"

    • Emily Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
        At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
        <Bram@...> wrote:

        >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
        >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
        >
        >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
        >
        >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
        >stuff is still working!

        "make install" failed for me:

        cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
        (eventually). Stop.
        make: *** [install] Error 2

        Emily
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
          Emily jackson wrote:

          > At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
          > <Bram@...> wrote:
          >
          > >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
          > >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
          > >
          > >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
          > >
          > >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
          > >stuff is still working!
          >
          > "make install" failed for me:
          >
          > cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          > Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
          > (eventually). Stop.
          > make: *** [install] Error 2

          Hmm. Did you use the version with "+=" or the fixed version:

          M4FLAGS = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...

          I suppose we can use another name for the variable to solve this:

          M4FLAGSX = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...

          And then change "M4FLAGS" to "M4FLAGSX" below. Please let me know if
          that fixes the problem.

          216. Your pet rock leaves home.

        • Emily Jackson
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
            At 8:46 AM -0500 on Tuesday, October 14, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
            <Bram@...> wrote:

            >Emily jackson wrote:
            >
            >> At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
            >> <Bram@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
            >> >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
            >> >
            >> >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
            >> >
            >> >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
            >> >stuff is still working!
            >>
            >> "make install" failed for me:
            >>
            >> cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >> Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
            >> (eventually). Stop.
            >> make: *** [install] Error 2
            >
            >Hmm. Did you use the version with "+=" or the fixed version:
            >
            > M4FLAGS = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
            >
            >I suppose we can use another name for the variable to solve this:
            >
            > M4FLAGSX = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
            >
            >And then change "M4FLAGS" to "M4FLAGSX" below. Please let me know if
            >that fixes the problem.

            I've tried editing the patch as you describe, but the edited version does
            not apply cleanly (I am using patches 1-121). The version of the patch I
            have had this line:

            M4FLAGS += -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_VER=$(VERSION)...

            Thanks,

            Emily
          • Emily Jackson
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
              <Bram@...> wrote:

              >Emily jackson wrote:
              >
              >> At 3:29 PM -0500 on Monday, October 13, 2003, Bram Moolenaar
              >> <Bram@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
              >> >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
              >> >
              >> >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
              >> >
              >> >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other Mac
              >> >stuff is still working!
              >>
              >> "make install" failed for me:
              >>
              >> cp Vim Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              >> Makefile:2347: *** Recursive variable `M4FLAGS' references itself
              >> (eventually). Stop.
              >> make: *** [install] Error 2
              >
              >Hmm. Did you use the version with "+=" or the fixed version:
              >
              > M4FLAGS = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
              >
              >I suppose we can use another name for the variable to solve this:
              >
              > M4FLAGSX = $(M4FLAGS) -DAPP_EXE=$(VIMNAME) -DAPP_NAME=$(VIMNA...
              >
              >And then change "M4FLAGS" to "M4FLAGSX" below. Please let me know if
              >that fixes the problem.

              I later realized that the 6.2.121 patch affected the 6.2.118 patch. I
              edited the 6.2.118 patch and left out the 6.2.121 patch. "make install"
              worked this time, but the resulting program can't find Vim's runtime
              files. The only workaround I could find was to copy the runtime folder
              within the Vim.app package to /Applications.

              Emily
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
                Emily jackson wrote:

                > I later realized that the 6.2.121 patch affected the 6.2.118 patch. I
                > edited the 6.2.118 patch and left out the 6.2.121 patch. "make install"
                > worked this time, but the resulting program can't find Vim's runtime
                > files. The only workaround I could find was to copy the runtime folder
                > within the Vim.app package to /Applications.

                What works for me is, after doing "make install":

                open Vim.app

                That's in the Vim source directory.

                We still need to decide how "make install" moves the stuff from Vim.app
                to a global directory, such as /Applications. We could simply put the
                Vim.app directory there, but what to do if there already is one?

                223. You set up a web-cam as your home's security system.

              • Ricardo SIGNES
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
                  * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [2003-10-14T13:40:22]
                  > We still need to decide how "make install" moves the stuff from Vim.app
                  > to a global directory, such as /Applications. We could simply put the
                  > Vim.app directory there, but what to do if there already is one?

                  On *nix, it would just overwrite, right? So should be be on MacOS. Is
                  --prefix respected properly?

                  --
                  rjbs
                • Eric Y. Kow
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
                    Hi list,

                    If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
                    to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
                    the Vim.app pkg.

                    Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
                    path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
                    experiencing.

                    I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

                    --eric

                    also, some minor unrelated notes
                    --------------------------------

                    1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to
                    the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

                    2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

                    3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                    If not, we might as well include them, eh?

                    --
                    Eric Kow http://www.loria.fr/~kow
                    PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9 Merci de corriger mon français.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                      Eric Kow wrote:

                      > If i'm not mistaken, Bram's version of the patch is missing my changes
                      > to src/misc1.c, which are needed for the runtime files to be included in
                      > the Vim.app pkg.
                      >
                      > Without these changes, Vim is still trying to remove "Vim.app" from the
                      > path when looking for "runtime", hence the behaviour Emily is
                      > experiencing.
                      >
                      > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c

                      Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
                      changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
                      building Vim.

                      > also, some minor unrelated notes
                      > --------------------------------
                      >
                      > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
                      > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

                      Where is this?

                      > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

                      Yes, the INSTALLmac.txt file should be updated. Please make a patch for
                      this.

                      > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                      > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

                      The Icon currently used is small, which looks ugly in the dock. A
                      bigger icon would be much nicer.

                      --
                      Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

                    • Eric Y. Kow
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003

                        Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121

                        Problem: Mac: resource files not found
                        installation documentation out of synch
                        Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
                        Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks
                        Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
                        runtime.
                        Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
                        Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
                        Remove spurious Makefile comments
                        Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c

                        > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=20
                        > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)

                        See attached patch

                        > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?

                        See attached patch

                        > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                        > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?

                        See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
                        Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

                        --eric

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                          On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:14:16 +0200, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                          > > I attach the bit of patch that fixes misc1.c
                          >
                          > Thanks. I left that part out because I didn't understand why this was
                          > changed. I still wonder if this patch breaks it for other methods for
                          > building Vim.

                          This would break any method which does not copy the runtime directory
                          into the Vim.app bundle.

                          Hopefully, the Taro Make_osx.mak approach is no longer needed, as it has
                          been incorporated into the Makefile (right?) and anybody really keen
                          on using ProjectBuilder will make the appropriate modifications.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                            Eric Kow wrote:

                            > Here's an integrated patch to vim 6.2.121
                            >
                            > Problem: Mac: resource files not found
                            > installation documentation out of synch
                            > Recursive entries in Makefile (M4_FLAGS)
                            > Makefile contains comments for completed TODO tasks=20
                            > Solution: Do not truncate "Vim.app" from vim path when searching for
                            > runtime.
                            > Simplify src/INSTALLmac.txt
                            > Rename M4_FLAGS to M4_FLAGS_OSX
                            > Remove spurious Makefile comments
                            > Files: src/Makefile, src/INSTALLmac.txt, src/misc1.c
                            >
                            > > > 1) There is a TODO in the Makefile that says "move runtime to=3D20
                            > > > the Vim pkg"... this is now done and should be removed :-)
                            >
                            > See attached patch=20
                            >
                            > > > 2) This calls a simplified doc, no?
                            >
                            > See attached patch
                            >
                            > > > 3) Does OS 9 prevent us from using the Steibler icons?
                            > > > If not, we might as well include them, eh?
                            >
                            > See attached icon from Douglas Stebila (put in src directory).
                            > Hope it doesn't break something for OS 9.

                            Thanks. I'll include this and verify if it works for me.

                            238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

                          • Axel Kielhorn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 15, 2003
                              At 22:29 Uhr +0200 2003-10-13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                              >I have just sent patch 6.2.118 to the vim-dev maillist. This makes it
                              >possible to build the Carbon version with the Unix Makefile:
                              >
                              > make
                              > make install
                              >
                              >The "make install" creates a "Vim.app" directory in the source
                              >directory. You then have to move it to where you want to use it.
                              >
                              >This is mostly the work of Eric Kow, with a few fixes by me.
                              >
                              >I have tested this on OS X 10.2.8. Please verify that all the other
                              >Mac stuff is still working!

                              I build Vim 6.2.121 for MacOS Classic without problems and will
                              upload a new archive next weekend.

                              Axel