Re: Lang settings -- Launch from dock vs Launch from terminal

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 9:17 AM
      On 19 March 2010 13:56, Thruston wrote:
      >> Which version of MacVim.app are you using?  If you are using the
      >> stable version, go into the advanced preferences and tick the "login
      >> shell" option.  If you are using the latest snapshot, try setting the
      >> LANG environment variable in your ~/.profile.
      >
      > I'm using snapshot 52, and indeed creating a ~/.profile has fixed the
      > problem.  Thank you!
      >
      > But I did not have a ~/.profile before, so terminal.app has apparently
      > worked out that I wanted "en_GB.UTF-8" from my system country
      > settings.
      > Can't MacVim do the same?

      Terminal.app is the only (that I know of) app that does this [although
      I'm sure other terminal emulators do the same]. The problem here is
      that Cocoa apps and terminal programs have different ways of deciding
      which locale to use. I'm not sure exactly what to do about this (if I
      knew how Terminal.app decides on which locale to use I could perhaps
      forcibly set it when starting MacVim.app...).

      The fact that the LANG setting is even picked up by MacVim is because
      of a "hack" where Vim processes are run in a "login shell". What I'm
      trying to say is that locale stuff is a bit of a mess...don't expect
      this to be "fixed" any time soon. :-(