External Editor

  • LuKreme
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
      Is the "Edit in External Editor..." supposed to do anything?

      I've installed it and set it to MacVim, but I don't see anything in the Edit menu of Mail or Safari.

      OS X 10.6.2

      --
      Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job, smoke some fags and play
      some pool, pretend you never went to school and still you'll never get it right

    • Charlie Tanksley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
        > I've installed it and set it to MacVim, but I don't see anything in the Edit menu of Mail or Safari.
        >
        > OS X 10.6.2

        I believe you need to set Mail and Safari to 'Open in 32-bit mode' for this to work. (At least, that seemed to do the trick for me.) You'll find a little check box for this if you 'get info' on either application via the Finder.

        Charlie Tanksley

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
          On 12 March 2010 16:06, LuKreme wrote:
          > Is the "Edit in External Editor..." supposed to do anything?
          >
          > I've installed it and set it to MacVim, but I don't see anything in the Edit menu of Mail or Safari.
          >
          > OS X 10.6.2

          It only works with 32 bit apps. You can force a program to run in 32
          bit mode by selecting its icon in Finder and hitting ⌘I.

          Another alternative is to use QuickCursor [1] (although I have not
          tried this much myself).

          Is it time to remove the Integration pane from the MacVim preferences
          perhaps? Or maybe just add a note that it does not work with 64 bit
          apps?

          Björn

          [1] http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/quickcursor/

        • LuKreme
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
            On 12-Mar-2010, at 11:59, björn wrote:

            > On 12 March 2010 16:06, LuKreme wrote:
            >> Is the "Edit in External Editor..." supposed to do anything?
            >>
            >> I've installed it and set it to MacVim, but I don't see anything in the Edit menu of Mail or Safari.
            >>
            >> OS X 10.6.2
            >
            > It only works with 32 bit apps.

            Ah. Well, bummer. Not sure I want to do that. Might try it with Mail.app just to give it a looksee. Thanks.

            > Is it time to remove the Integration pane from the MacVim preferences
            > perhaps? Or maybe just add a note that it does not work with 64 bit
            > apps?

            A note would have been helpful. :)

            --
            Criticizing evolutionary theory because Darwin was limited is like claiming
            computers don't work because Chuck Babbage didn't foresee Duke Nukem 3.