Re: Colors only in gvim

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2010
      On 10 March 2010 09:30, LuKreme wrote:
      > I asked this in vim-use, but only got a reply asking what was in .vimrc and .,gvimrc, neither of which I have, so I thought maybe this might be a Mac question after all.
      >
      > When I run  gvim, I get syntax coloring all over the place, even in USENET posting all the headers and quotes and signatures are color coded.
      >
      > But when I run vim, there's no syntax coloring at all.
      >
      > I went ahead and looked at these:
      >  system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      >  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      >
      > but I don't know if I can merely copy the gvimrc to $HOME/.vimrc without that causing problems. I mean, it SEEMS to work, but what do I know.

      I'm not sure what the question is but the reason you get syntax
      highlighting by default in MacVim is because it is enabled in the
      system gvimrc file (which maybe you had figured out already?). I did
      change a few options in the MacVim system rc files to non-default
      values for various reasons.

      The changes in the system rc-files can all be reverted if you wish,
      e.g. add "syntax off" to your ~/.gvimrc file to disable syntax
      highlighting. (Or did you want to enable it in other versions of Vim?
      If so add "syntax on" in either ~/.vimrc or ~/.gvimrc.)

      > Since I am hear, I'd like to ask a couple of other questions.
      >
      > 1) why does MacVim look different from vim even with identical rc files? (MacVim uses a white background, vim a black one as is right and proper).

      All GUI versions of Vim use a white color background by default.
      MacVim's GUI uses a slightly different color scheme than other GUIs to
      make it more "Mac-like". If you want the same color scheme as other
      Vim GUIs, add the following line to your ~/.vimrc:

      let colors_name = "default"

      If you want a dark background, add the following to ~/.vimrc

      set background=dark

      ... or use the ":colorscheme" command to change the color scheme (see
      ":h colorscheme") to some dark variant.

      > 2) how do I integrate spell-checking into vim (both gvim and vim)?

      See ":h spell:". Typing ":set spell" will enable spell checking.

      > 3) I have "Open files from applications in the current window with a tab for each file" selected in the preferences, but when I issue the following:
      >
      > % vim file1 file2
      >
      > I do not get tabs, and have to use :n to go to the next file.

      You have to use the "-p" flag on the command line -- the preference
      setting only applies to files opened from Finder (it also says so in
      the preferences dialog). See ":h starting" for more info on "-p" and
      other flags.

      Note that these types of questions (1 - 3) are best asked on vim_use
      even though I do my best to answer any question (if I am able). I
      strongly recommend that you check out the help files in Vim -- they
      contain _a lot_ of information (see ":help") although I can understand
      that it is not always easy to find what you are looking for. You may
      also want to take a look at ":h macvim".