Re: Trying to build macvim from source with ruby interp enable fails in if_ruby.c: ~960

  • Austin Ziegler
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010
      On Feb 20, 2:00 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > On 20 February 2010 19:34, Steven G. Harms wrote:
      >> 3. This leads me to ask, is there a way to have --enable-rubyinterp
      >> respect my custom Ruby installdir?
      > The problem is that the configure file expects there to be a
      > Ruby.framework on your computer -- installing a plain non-framework of
      > Ruby requires the Ruby header files to be included differently. You
      > can work around this manually as follows:

      It could be possible to modify this so that you could do
      --with-ruby=/usr/local and do a conditional compile, e.g.:

      g++ -DWITH_ALTERNATE_RUBY -I<with-ruby-interp-location> ...

      WITH_ALTERNATE_RUBY would allow if_ruby.h to be:

      #if defined(WITH_ALTERNATE_RUBY)
      # include <ruby.h>
      #else
      # include <Ruby/ruby.h>
      #endif

      I think that people who want to use alternate installations of Ruby
      (or
      anything else for that matter) should be able to enable such, but the
      configure script shouldn't automate any of that if the system
      framework
      is missing. Messing with system frameworks is a bad idea.

      -austin

    • Austin Ziegler
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010