Re: projects.vim and vim 7.2-356

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18 8:18 AM
      On 18 February 2010 12:05, Keyan wrote:
      > hi,
      >
      > i use projects.vim heavily. since the last update of MacVim (vim 7.2-356) i have the following problem.
      >
      > whenever i leave the project.vim window and re-enter, the content of the window is automatically folded completely. i have no idea why or how to suppress auto-folding.

      What is version 7.2-356? Are you using a snapshot or are you building
      from the source? If you are building from the source can you figure
      out which commit introduced thr problem? (It would most likely be
      when the runtime files were updated.)

    • Keyan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18 9:14 AM
        hi,

        On 18 Feb 2010, at 17:18, björn wrote:

        > On 18 February 2010 12:05, Keyan wrote:
        >> hi,
        >>
        >> i use projects.vim heavily. since the last update of MacVim (vim 7.2-356) i have the following problem.
        >>
        >> whenever i leave the project.vim window and re-enter, the content of the window is automatically folded completely. i have no idea why or how to suppress auto-folding.
        >
        > What is version 7.2-356? Are you using a snapshot or are you building
        > from the source? If you are building from the source can you figure
        > out which commit introduced thr problem? (It would most likely be
        > when the runtime files were updated.)

        i am using the latest git-source of MacVim, but replaced the runtime directory in /Applications/MacVim with the latest runtime directory from the vim-source tree. for some reason, i had problems with missing runtime files. i didnt trace down the problem, and this was the fastest (and most dirty) solution i found.

        cheers,
        keyan

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18 9:57 AM
          On 18 February 2010 18:14, Keyan wrote:

          >>> i use projects.vim heavily. since the last update of MacVim (vim 7.2-356) i have the following problem.
          >>>
          >>> whenever i leave the project.vim window and re-enter, the content of the window is automatically folded completely. i have no idea why or how to suppress auto-folding.
          >>
          >> What is version 7.2-356?  Are you using a snapshot or are you building
          >> from the source?  If you are building from the source can you figure
          >> out which commit introduced thr problem?  (It would most likely be
          >> when the runtime files were updated.)
          >
          > i am using the latest git-source of MacVim, but replaced the runtime directory in /Applications/MacVim with the latest runtime directory from the vim-source tree. for some reason, i had problems with missing runtime files. i didnt trace down the problem, and this was the fastest (and most dirty) solution i found.

          (Posting to vim_mac only.)

          I can't help much with script problems...all I can say that in order
          to find the bug you'll have to do some digging yourself. The easiest
          way to see when the problem was introduced is to go back through the
          git history and find which commit introduced the problem (git-bisect
          can be helpful).

          Most likely the problem is due to some runtime file update, but it
          could also be due to some recent Vim patch, or (most unlikely) some
          change in the MacVim sources.

        • Keyan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18 11:09 AM
            thanks. i will remove the runtime directory, try a clean install and report.

            cheers,
            keyan

            On 18 Feb 2010, at 18:57, björn wrote:

            >>> What is version 7.2-356? Are you using a snapshot or are you building
            >>> from the source? If you are building from the source can you figure
            >>> out which commit introduced thr problem? (It would most likely be
            >>> when the runtime files were updated.)
            >>
            >> i am using the latest git-source of MacVim, but replaced the runtime directory in /Applications/MacVim with the latest runtime directory from the vim-source tree. for some reason, i had problems with missing runtime files. i didnt trace down the problem, and this was the fastest (and most dirty) solution i found.
            >
            > (Posting to vim_mac only.)
            >
            > I can't help much with script problems...all I can say that in order
            > to find the bug you'll have to do some digging yourself. The easiest
            > way to see when the problem was introduced is to go back through the
            > git history and find which commit introduced the problem (git-bisect
            > can be helpful).
            >
            > Most likely the problem is due to some runtime file update, but it
            > could also be due to some recent Vim patch, or (most unlikely) some
            > change in the MacVim sources.
            >
            > Björn
            >
            > --

          • Keyan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18 11:37 AM
              so, i think i have nailed it down:

              it does not happen with the sable version 1.2 of MacVim, and it does not happen with the snapshot 51 of MacVim (vim 7.2 with patches 1-303), but it does happen with the latest MacVim git-sources (vim 7.2, patches 1-356).

              for the moment i will use the snapshot.

              cheers,
              keyan

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18 11:53 AM
                On 18 February 2010 20:37, Keyan wrote:
                > so, i think i have nailed it down:
                >
                > it does not happen with the sable version 1.2 of MacVim, and it does not happen with the snapshot 51 of MacVim (vim 7.2 with patches 1-303), but it does happen with the latest MacVim git-sources (vim 7.2, patches 1-356).
                >
                > for the moment i will use the snapshot.

                I would appreciate it if you could do a git-bisect [1] starting with
                snapshot-51 as a "good" commit so that we can figure out which commit
                introduced the problem. This way we may be able to figure out what
                the problem is (and in case it _is_ a problem with the MacVim source
                code I'd like to fix the problem).

                Björn

                [1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html