Re: Fullscreen and Spotlight playing nicely together

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
      On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:

      >>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
      >> Spotlight?
      >
      > I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
      > and it does the same thing.
      >
      > This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
      > implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
      > only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
      > this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?

      I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
      that the OS reserves for other purposes. Trying to hijack Cmd+Space
      will most likely be very difficult, not to mention the fact that it
      may be reassigned in the System Preferences and how one should deal
      with this I do not know. I'm not saying that it is definitely
      impossible, but it is certainly not something I'd like to try.

      If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
      programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
      "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
      that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
      autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
      full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again. But you would have to
      use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
      enough). I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
      to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
      you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

    • Sean DeNigris
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
        > If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
        > programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
        > "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
        > that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
        > autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
        > full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again.  But you would have to
        > use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
        > enough).  I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
        > to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
        > you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

        No prob. The Applescript is pretty easy (assuming the default
        shortcut to Spotlight):
        tell application "system events" to keystroke " " using {command down}

        I'll write up a little function and post it, for anyone interested.

      • Sean DeNigris
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          Small update... if you disable the Spotlight shortcut, <D-Space> can
          be mapped. Still working out an easy way to do this from MacVim...

        • Edward Marczak
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2010
            On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:
            >>
            >>>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
            >>> Spotlight?
            >>
            >> I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
            >> and it does the same thing.
            >>
            >> This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
            >> implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
            >> only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
            >> this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?
            >
            > I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
            > that the OS reserves for other purposes.

            I use Google Quick Search Box as a replacement/adjunct of Spotlight:

            http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/

            I disable the OS mapping of command-space and use that in QSB. QSB
            pops up just fine over a fullscreen MacVim window.
            --
            Ed Marczak
            e: marczak@...