Re: Fullscreen and Spotlight playing nicely together

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14 8:32 AM
      On 6 February 2010 23:16, Sean DeNigris wrote:
      > Currently, in fullscreen mode (which I love), the spotlight shortcut
      > is disabled.  Here's what I propose for the default behavior - what do
      > you think?
      >
      > 1. Given fullscreen is set, when the spotlight shortcut is typed,
      > disable fullscreen mode and re-transmit the spotlight shortcut,
      > bringing up Spotlight
      > 2. When MacVim is re-entered, if fullscreen mode was active
      > previously, reactivate it.

      Hi Sean,

      It is unfortunate that Spotlight gets disabled in full-screen but your
      suggestion sounds like a rather complicated hack to me and not really
      something I'd want to implement. We need a better solution than this:
      does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
      Spotlight?

    • Sean DeNigris
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15 6:25 AM
        > It is unfortunate that Spotlight gets disabled in full-screen

        >  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
        > Spotlight?

        I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
        and it does the same thing.

        This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
        implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping. The
        only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect. Is
        this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?

        Sean

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15 6:49 AM
          On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:

          >>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
          >> Spotlight?
          >
          > I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
          > and it does the same thing.
          >
          > This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
          > implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
          > only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
          > this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?

          I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
          that the OS reserves for other purposes. Trying to hijack Cmd+Space
          will most likely be very difficult, not to mention the fact that it
          may be reassigned in the System Preferences and how one should deal
          with this I do not know. I'm not saying that it is definitely
          impossible, but it is certainly not something I'd like to try.

          If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
          programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
          "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
          that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
          autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
          full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again. But you would have to
          use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
          enough). I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
          to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
          you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

        • Sean DeNigris
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15 4:00 PM
            > If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
            > programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
            > "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
            > that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
            > autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
            > full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again.  But you would have to
            > use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
            > enough).  I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
            > to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
            > you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

            No prob. The Applescript is pretty easy (assuming the default
            shortcut to Spotlight):
            tell application "system events" to keystroke " " using {command down}

            I'll write up a little function and post it, for anyone interested.

          • Sean DeNigris
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15 10:07 PM
              Small update... if you disable the Spotlight shortcut, <D-Space> can
              be mapped. Still working out an easy way to do this from MacVim...

            • Edward Marczak
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16 9:53 AM
                On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                > On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:
                >>
                >>>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
                >>> Spotlight?
                >>
                >> I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
                >> and it does the same thing.
                >>
                >> This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
                >> implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
                >> only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
                >> this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?
                >
                > I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
                > that the OS reserves for other purposes.

                I use Google Quick Search Box as a replacement/adjunct of Spotlight:

                http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/

                I disable the OS mapping of command-space and use that in QSB. QSB
                pops up just fine over a fullscreen MacVim window.
                --
                Ed Marczak
                e: marczak@...