Fullscreen and Spotlight playing nicely together

  • Sean DeNigris
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2010
      Currently, in fullscreen mode (which I love), the spotlight shortcut
      is disabled. Here's what I propose for the default behavior - what do
      you think?

      1. Given fullscreen is set, when the spotlight shortcut is typed,
      disable fullscreen mode and re-transmit the spotlight shortcut,
      bringing up Spotlight
      2. When MacVim is re-entered, if fullscreen mode was active
      previously, reactivate it.

      Sean DeNigris

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2010
        On 6 February 2010 23:16, Sean DeNigris wrote:
        > Currently, in fullscreen mode (which I love), the spotlight shortcut
        > is disabled.  Here's what I propose for the default behavior - what do
        > you think?
        >
        > 1. Given fullscreen is set, when the spotlight shortcut is typed,
        > disable fullscreen mode and re-transmit the spotlight shortcut,
        > bringing up Spotlight
        > 2. When MacVim is re-entered, if fullscreen mode was active
        > previously, reactivate it.

        Hi Sean,

        It is unfortunate that Spotlight gets disabled in full-screen but your
        suggestion sounds like a rather complicated hack to me and not really
        something I'd want to implement. We need a better solution than this:
        does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
        Spotlight?

      • Sean DeNigris
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          > It is unfortunate that Spotlight gets disabled in full-screen

          >  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
          > Spotlight?

          I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
          and it does the same thing.

          This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
          implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping. The
          only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect. Is
          this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?

          Sean

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
            On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:

            >>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
            >> Spotlight?
            >
            > I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
            > and it does the same thing.
            >
            > This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
            > implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
            > only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
            > this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?

            I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
            that the OS reserves for other purposes. Trying to hijack Cmd+Space
            will most likely be very difficult, not to mention the fact that it
            may be reassigned in the System Preferences and how one should deal
            with this I do not know. I'm not saying that it is definitely
            impossible, but it is certainly not something I'd like to try.

            If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
            programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
            "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
            that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
            autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
            full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again. But you would have to
            use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
            enough). I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
            to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
            you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

          • Sean DeNigris
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
              > If you can figure out a way to bring up the Spotlight search box
              > programmatically (perhaps by calling some Apple Script with the
              > "osascript" command), you should be able to set up another mapping
              > that minimizes full-screen and brings up Spotlight and then use an
              > autocommand (see ":h focusgained") to check whether to re-enable
              > full-screen when MacVim gets the focus again.  But you would have to
              > use another mapping than Cmd+Space (perhaps Alt+Space, which is close
              > enough).  I leave it as an exercise to figure out the details on how
              > to accomplish this (sorry...if I had the answer I would give it to
              > you, but I'm not sure how this would be done). :-)

              No prob. The Applescript is pretty easy (assuming the default
              shortcut to Spotlight):
              tell application "system events" to keystroke " " using {command down}

              I'll write up a little function and post it, for anyone interested.

            • Sean DeNigris
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
                Small update... if you disable the Spotlight shortcut, <D-Space> can
                be mapped. Still working out an easy way to do this from MacVim...

              • Edward Marczak
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 16, 2010
                  On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                  > On 15 February 2010 15:25, Sean DeNigris wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>  does anybody know of any full-screen programs that do not disable
                  >>> Spotlight?
                  >>
                  >> I guess this is standard Mac behavior because I just checked iTunes
                  >> and it does the same thing.
                  >>
                  >> This being the case, I don't think that the change should be
                  >> implemented in MacVim directly, but would be a helpful mapping.  The
                  >> only problem is that mapping <D-Space> seems to have no effect.   Is
                  >> this an issue with MacVim, or the OS?
                  >
                  > I would say the OS: it can be extremely hard to get access to keys
                  > that the OS reserves for other purposes.

                  I use Google Quick Search Box as a replacement/adjunct of Spotlight:

                  http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/

                  I disable the OS mapping of command-space and use that in QSB. QSB
                  pops up just fine over a fullscreen MacVim window.
                  --
                  Ed Marczak
                  e: marczak@...