osx.iusethis.com

  • Panos
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
      http://osx.iusethis.com/app/macvim

      I can't believe there's just 549 people using MacVim. It either means
      people haven't registered with this yet, or there's no hope for
      editors/programmers :)

      Take a moment to register, please!

    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
        On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:46:05PM -0800, Panos wrote:
        > http://osx.iusethis.com/app/macvim
        >
        > I can't believe there's just 549 people using MacVim. It either means
        > people haven't registered with this yet, or there's no hope for
        > editors/programmers :)

        I use vim on OS X. I do not use MacVim. I use gvim under X11. Until I can
        (easily) have multiple (OS, not vim) windows open under MacVim, and an easy
        way to alias opening them from the commandline, it isn't better than gvim
        for my purposes. But I keep watching and waiting.

        > Take a moment to register, please!
        --Greg

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
          I like MacVim, but I've no interest in registering on a website just to
          say so.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            > I use vim on OS X. I do not use MacVim. I use gvim under X11. Until I can
            > (easily) have multiple (OS, not vim) windows open under MacVim,

            Now I'm confused: what is difficult about having multiple (OS) windows
            open in MacVim? How can I make it easier?

            > and an easy
            > way to alias opening them from the commandline, it isn't better than gvim
            > for my purposes. But I keep watching and waiting.

            Are you aware of the --remote flag? It lets you specify which (OS)
            window to open a file in from the command line (the name to pass to
            the flag is something like VIM or VIM1 -- it is the rightmost word in
            the window title by default). Or where you looking for something
            else?

          • Seth Milliken
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
              On Feb 4, 12:57 pm, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+...@...>
              wrote:
              > I use vim on OS X. I do not use MacVim. I use gvim under X11. Until I can
              > (easily) have multiple (OS, not vim) windows open under MacVim, and an easy
              > way to alias opening them from the commandline, it isn't better than gvim
              > for my purposes. But I keep watching and waiting.

              Are you not using the mvim script that comes with MacVim? With the
              "Enable Quickstart" option selected in the Advanced preferences pane,
              new windows open very quickly.

            • Seth Milliken
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                  wrote:
                  > I use vim on OS X. I do not use MacVim. I use gvim under X11. Until I can
                  > (easily) have multiple (OS, not vim) windows open under MacVim, and an easy
                  > way to alias opening them from the commandline, it isn't better than gvim
                  > for my purposes. But I keep watching and waiting.

                  Are you not using the mvim script that comes with MacVim? With the
                  "Enable Quickstart" option selected in the Advanced preferences pane,
                  new windows open very quickly.

                • Ash Berlin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2010
                    On Feb 4, 9:19 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                    > > I use vim on OS X. I do not use MacVim. I use gvim under X11. Until I can
                    > > (easily) have multiple (OS, not vim) windows open under MacVim,
                    >
                    > Now I'm confused: what is difficult about having multiple (OS) windows
                    > open in MacVim?  How can I make it easier?
                    >
                    > > and an easy
                    > > way to alias opening them from the commandline, it isn't better than gvim
                    > > for my purposes. But I keep watching and waiting.
                    >
                    > Are you aware of the --remote flag?  It lets you specify which (OS)
                    > window to open a file in from the command line  (the name to pass to
                    > the flag is something like VIM or VIM1 -- it is the rightmost word in
                    > the window title by default).  Or where you looking for something
                    > else?
                    >
                    > Björn

                    Indeed, that is very useful.

                    $ mvim --servername DIR1 --remote-silent DIR1/foo.c
                    $ mvim --servername DIR1 --remote-silent DIR1/bar.c
                    $ mvim --servername DIR2 --remote-silent DIR2/quxx.c

                    Gives two windows. Perhaps all that is needed is a nice wrapper script
                    or alias around that. Personally I have :e aliases in my shell to
                    'mvim --remote-silent' currently, so for me

                    $ :e --servername DIR1 DIR1/foo.c

                    works. Fantastic.