RE: tabs v buffers

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2010
      Thruston wrote:
      > Can I configure MacVim to keep each buffer in it's own tab?

      Bear in mind that I know nothing about MacVim, but in general,
      trying to make tab == buffer is misguided (and cannot be done).

      Once you realise that you can have one tab showing the diff
      between two files, while the same files are shown (possibly in
      several windows) in other tabs, you see that Vim uses tabs quite
      differently from standard editors.

      The Vim Tips wiki has lots of great information, but there are
      also lots of somewhat broken tips. There is some good info here:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Introduction_to_using_tab_pages

      And you need to know about buffers:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Easier_buffer_switching

      Perhaps someone here would like to add some MacVim info:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Launch_files_in_new_tabs_under_Unix

      There is a tip that purports to put every buffer in its own tab.
      I forget exactly what is wrong with the idea, but it is
      misguided and interferes with proper Vim usage:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Open_every_buffer_in_its_own_tabpage

      John