tabs v buffers

  • Thruston
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2010
      Switching to MacVim after a long time on the X2 editor on Windows/
      Linux, I am slowing appreciating it's strengths, but probably still
      confused about the basics, so forgive me if this is a beginner's
      question.

      Can I configure MacVim to keep each buffer in it's own tab? I
      appreciate the flexibility of being able to cycle through the same set
      of buffers in each tab with :bn :bp etc, but since we have tabs and
      you can *see* them on the screen I would like to keep each buffer in
      it's own tab, so that when I close a tab the buffer is gone/unloaded/
      wiped out.

      At present I use :tabe to open a new file in a new tab, then I close
      the tab, but the file is still loaded as a buffer in my other tabs...

      Thanks T.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2010
        Thruston wrote:
        > Can I configure MacVim to keep each buffer in it's own tab?

        Bear in mind that I know nothing about MacVim, but in general,
        trying to make tab == buffer is misguided (and cannot be done).

        Once you realise that you can have one tab showing the diff
        between two files, while the same files are shown (possibly in
        several windows) in other tabs, you see that Vim uses tabs quite
        differently from standard editors.

        The Vim Tips wiki has lots of great information, but there are
        also lots of somewhat broken tips. There is some good info here:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Introduction_to_using_tab_pages

        And you need to know about buffers:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Easier_buffer_switching

        Perhaps someone here would like to add some MacVim info:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Launch_files_in_new_tabs_under_Unix

        There is a tip that purports to put every buffer in its own tab.
        I forget exactly what is wrong with the idea, but it is
        misguided and interferes with proper Vim usage:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Open_every_buffer_in_its_own_tabpage

        John