MacVim and Input Methods

  • Yongwei Wu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2010
      I noticed an issue specific to MacVim. When near the right margin, a
      Chinese phrase may be shifted entirely to the next line, instead of
      being broken in the middle (I have formatoptions=mMtcql).

      E.g. when I have:

      ..........汉字

      and I try to input another Chinese phrase, say 输入. I need to input
      some "shuru", and then a space to convert it into Chinese. The ideal
      result should be:

      ..........汉字输

      While the console vim can give me this result, three different Chinese
      input methods all give me this result:

      Before pressing space:
      ..........汉字
      shuru

      After pressing space:
      ..........汉字
      输入

      I.e. line breaking occurred before the input is finished.

      Does anybody have a clue here?

      Best regards,

      Yongwei

      --
      Wu Yongwei
        2010/1/17 Yongwei Wu:
        > I noticed an issue specific to MacVim.  When near the right margin, a
        > Chinese phrase may be shifted entirely to the next line, instead of
        > being broken in the middle (I have formatoptions=mMtcql).
        >
        > E.g. when I have:
        >
        > ..........汉字
        >
        > and I try to input another Chinese phrase, say 输入.  I need to input
        > some "shuru", and then a space to convert it into Chinese.  The ideal
        > result should be:
        >
        > ..........汉字输
        > 入
        >
        > While the console vim can give me this result, three different Chinese
        > input methods all give me this result:
        >
        > Before pressing space:
        > ..........汉字
        > shuru
        >
        > After pressing space:
        > ..........汉字
        > 输入
        >
        > I.e. line breaking occurred before the input is finished.
        >
        > Does anybody have a clue here?
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Yongwei

        Hi Yongwei,

        It is probably the "new" IM code that is causing this. Please try
        quitting MacVim completely, then open Terminal and type:

        defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMUseInlineIm 0

        Then restart MacVim and see what happens.

        Can you also please tell me what keystrokes to type in order to enter
        the examples in your original post (and which input method you used)
        so that I can try it out myself?

        Björn
      • Yongwei Wu
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2010
          2010/1/17 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:
          > 2010/1/17 Yongwei Wu:
          >> I noticed an issue specific to MacVim. When near the right margin, a
          >> Chinese phrase may be shifted entirely to the next line, instead of
          >> being broken in the middle (I have formatoptions=mMtcql).
          >>
          >> E.g. when I have:
          >>
          >> ..........汉字
          >>
          >> and I try to input another Chinese phrase, say 输入. I need to input
          >> some "shuru", and then a space to convert it into Chinese. The ideal
          >> result should be:
          >>
          >> ..........汉字输
          >> 入
          >>
          >> While the console vim can give me this result, three different Chinese
          >> input methods all give me this result:
          >>
          >> Before pressing space:
          >> ..........汉字
          >> shuru
          >>
          >> After pressing space:
          >> ..........汉字
          >> 输入
          >>
          >> I.e. line breaking occurred before the input is finished.
          >>
          >> Does anybody have a clue here?
          >>
          >> Best regards,
          >>
          >> Yongwei
          >
          > Hi Yongwei,
          >
          > It is probably the "new" IM code that is causing this. Please try
          > quitting MacVim completely, then open Terminal and type:
          >
          > defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMUseInlineIm 0

          Hi, Björn, it did the magic! You are so sweet. :-)

          > Then restart MacVim and see what happens.
          >
          > Can you also please tell me what keystrokes to type in order to enter
          > the examples in your original post (and which input method you used)
          > so that I can try it out myself?

          OK, this is the complete test case:

          1) Go to System Preferences > International > Input Menu, and choose
          Simplified Chinese.
          2) Open a MacVim window, and input ":setlocal tw=10 fo=mMtcql".
          3) Copy into it "....汉字".
          4) Move to the end of the line, enter Insert mode by pressing "a", and
          choose ITABC as the input method.
          5) Enter "shuru<SP><SP>" (TWO spaces are specific to this input
          method).

          You can see "输入" on one line or two lines, depending on the
          MMUseInlineIm setting.

          Best regards,

          Yongwei

          --