ignoring case in file completion on cmdline

  • ds26gte
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009
      I find it very ergonomic that MacVim's cmdline file completion seems
      to operate in an ignorecase mode. Is this behavior peculiar to
      MacVim, or can it be simulated on other implementations of Vim using
      some combination of options?

      (I realize that ignorecase makes sense on the Mac OS, because case
      can't be used to distinguish files, but I find that traditional
      console Vim on Mac OS doesn't (cannot?) exploit this. With Mac OS
      Vims that are not MacVim, I still have to use uppercase at times
      during file completion in order to correctly matched the displayed
      case of a file's name.)

    • Matt Tolton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009
        Not a direct answer, but a possible solution:

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2009
          2009/12/11:
          > I find it very ergonomic that MacVim's cmdline file completion seems
          > to operate in an ignorecase mode.  Is this behavior peculiar to
          > MacVim, or can it be simulated on other implementations of Vim using
          > some combination of options?
          >
          > (I realize that ignorecase makes sense on the Mac OS, because case
          > can't be used to distinguish files, but I find that traditional
          > console Vim on Mac OS doesn't (cannot?) exploit this.  With Mac OS
          > Vims that are not MacVim, I still have to use uppercase at times
          > during file completion in order to correctly matched the displayed
          > case of a file's name.)

          This behavior is enabled/disabled at compile time. If I remember
          correctly the define USE_FNAME_CASE is what controls this, but maybe
          it is CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME (these are defined in os_mac.h).
          Search the archives, I think we've discussed it in the past.