Re: Eugene Lee is famous!

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
      On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Thomas A. Fine wrote:
      > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
      > HUGE billboards in communities with large technical communites. A
      > giant picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent
      > Green", with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

      Heh.

      Actually, I think that image captures rather well the opinions of BOTH
      camps on either side of the OS X fence.

      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
    • Bob Ippolito
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
        On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
        wrote:

        >> I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that
        >> must
        >> mean he's famous [:-)]
        >>
        >> " With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
        >> computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
        >> - Eugene Lee"
        >
        > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
        > billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
        > picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
        > with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

        And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
        They'd have to say:

        "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

        or something.

        -bob
      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
          * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
          > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
          > wrote:
          > >Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
          > >billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
          > >picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
          > >with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
          >
          > And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
          > They'd have to say:
          >
          > "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

          Are you sure?

          http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
          gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

          --
          rjbs
        • Bob Ippolito
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
            On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
            wrote:

            > * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
            >> On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
            >> wrote:
            >>> Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
            >>> HUGE
            >>> billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
            >>> picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
            >>> with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
            >>
            >> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
            >> They'd have to say:
            >>
            >> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
            >
            > Are you sure?
            >
            > http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
            > gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

            It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
            "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.

            Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

            -bob
          • Bob Ippolito
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
              On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:44 America/New_York, Bob Ippolito wrote:

              > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
              > wrote:
              >
              >> * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
              >>>
              >>> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX
              >>> certified.
              >>> They'd have to say:
              >>>
              >>> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
              >>
              >> Are you sure?
              >>
              >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
              >> gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.
              >
              > It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
              > "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.
              >
              > Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

              Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
              notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
              UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

              -bob
            • Eugene Lee
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:48:47PM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                :
                : Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
                : notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
                : UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

                There's UNIX® the trademark owned by The Open Brand.

                Then there's "Unix" the generic term.

                --
                Eugene Lee
                eugene at anime dot net