Re: Spanning Multiple Monitors

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      2009/12/3 Mark Chandler:
      > I just downloaded the latest release (snapshot-51). Maximizing MacVim
      > works great. What doesn't work so well is the ability to span multiple
      > monitors. It appears to have a size limit based on a single monitor. I
      > have some files with data I want to view in one long line across
      > multiple monitors. It works fine to span multiple monitors when
      > running vim from a terminal window, but I would rather use MacVim if
      > possible. Is this possible?

      I have written the code to only maximize to one screen because I'm not
      sure how this should be handled with multiple monitors.

      Do you simply want to be able to resize a window manually to span two
      screens, or do you want the "green blob" button to maximize to both
      windows?

      What happens when the resolutions on the screens do not match? Should
      the smaller be used to constrain the size? Do you have to take into
      consideration of the layout of the screens? What if there are more
      than two screens?

      I'm just not sure how to answer these types of questions (and this was
      just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other problems).

    • Mark Chandler
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        Thanks for the rapid reply.

        Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
        to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions
        or different sizes then that would be my issue. Right now, it appears
        to limit the manually re-sizing to the maximum of the current monitor
        size even though I can move the window to span multiple monitors. If
        it worked like Terminal that would be perfect (Manually re-size across
        any number of monitors. The "green blob" maximizes to the monitor
        which has the most Terminal window real-estate).

        thanks,
        -Mark

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
          2009/12/3 Mark Chandler:

          > Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
          > to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions
          > or different sizes then that would be my issue. Right now, it appears
          > to limit the manually re-sizing to the maximum of the current monitor
          > size even though I can move the window to span multiple monitors. If
          > it worked like Terminal that would be perfect (Manually re-size across
          > any number of monitors. The "green blob" maximizes to the monitor
          > which has the most Terminal window real-estate).

          That sounds reasonable...I'll look into it.

          Thanks for the suggestion,

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
            > Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
            > to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions

            +1

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

            Please visit my 2009 d'Feet ALS walk page:
            http://web.alsa.org/goto/tedp
            My family appreciates your support in the fight to defeat ALS.