Spanning Multiple Monitors

  • Mark Chandler
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      I just downloaded the latest release (snapshot-51). Maximizing MacVim
      works great. What doesn't work so well is the ability to span multiple
      monitors. It appears to have a size limit based on a single monitor. I
      have some files with data I want to view in one long line across
      multiple monitors. It works fine to span multiple monitors when
      running vim from a terminal window, but I would rather use MacVim if
      possible. Is this possible?

      thanks,
      -Mark

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        2009/12/3 Mark Chandler:
        > I just downloaded the latest release (snapshot-51). Maximizing MacVim
        > works great. What doesn't work so well is the ability to span multiple
        > monitors. It appears to have a size limit based on a single monitor. I
        > have some files with data I want to view in one long line across
        > multiple monitors. It works fine to span multiple monitors when
        > running vim from a terminal window, but I would rather use MacVim if
        > possible. Is this possible?

        I have written the code to only maximize to one screen because I'm not
        sure how this should be handled with multiple monitors.

        Do you simply want to be able to resize a window manually to span two
        screens, or do you want the "green blob" button to maximize to both
        windows?

        What happens when the resolutions on the screens do not match? Should
        the smaller be used to constrain the size? Do you have to take into
        consideration of the layout of the screens? What if there are more
        than two screens?

        I'm just not sure how to answer these types of questions (and this was
        just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other problems).

      • Mark Chandler
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Thanks for the rapid reply.

          Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
          to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions
          or different sizes then that would be my issue. Right now, it appears
          to limit the manually re-sizing to the maximum of the current monitor
          size even though I can move the window to span multiple monitors. If
          it worked like Terminal that would be perfect (Manually re-size across
          any number of monitors. The "green blob" maximizes to the monitor
          which has the most Terminal window real-estate).

          thanks,
          -Mark

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
            2009/12/3 Mark Chandler:

            > Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
            > to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions
            > or different sizes then that would be my issue. Right now, it appears
            > to limit the manually re-sizing to the maximum of the current monitor
            > size even though I can move the window to span multiple monitors. If
            > it worked like Terminal that would be perfect (Manually re-size across
            > any number of monitors. The "green blob" maximizes to the monitor
            > which has the most Terminal window real-estate).

            That sounds reasonable...I'll look into it.

            Thanks for the suggestion,

          • Ted Pavlic
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
              > Ideally, I would like to simply be able to re-size a window manually
              > to span multiple monitors. If the monitors are different resolutions

              +1

              --
              Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

              Please visit my 2009 d'Feet ALS walk page:
              http://web.alsa.org/goto/tedp
              My family appreciates your support in the fight to defeat ALS.