Re: How to open mvim with current dir set to where I am in term? (I did search for this and know it's been asked.)

  • Rick R
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
      Ok, I'm using Snapshot 49. I followed the instructions as described  below (moved my .vimrc, .vim, and a .gvimrc to a backup) and ran the defaults command to reset them.

      Then in terminal I migrate to a directory beneath /Users/rick ie /Users/rick/temp and type "mvim"

      When I type :pwd it's displaying /Users/rick not /Users/rick/temp

      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:39 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      2009/12/2 Rick R:
      > Cool thanks.
      > Just doing
      > mvim .
      > works fine for the dir I'm in.

      This should not be necessary...simply typing "mvim" should open up
      MacVim in the current directory (I do this all the time).

      Please follow the instructions at

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/ReportingBugs

      and see if you can figure out what causes the problem.

      Rick R

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
        2009/12/2 Rick R:
        > Ok, I'm using Snapshot 49. I followed the instructions as described  below
        > (moved my .vimrc, .vim, and a .gvimrc to a backup) and ran the defaults
        > command to reset them.
        >
        > Then in terminal I migrate to a directory beneath /Users/rick ie
        > /Users/rick/temp and type "mvim"
        >
        > When I type :pwd it's displaying /Users/rick not /Users/rick/temp

        ...and you are certain that you're using the "mvim" script that comes
        bundled with the snapshot? (btw the latest version is 51) It sounds
        to me like your "mvim" is simply an alias to "open -a MacVim.app".
        What is the response if you open Terminal and enter

        which mvim
        alias mvim

        ?

        What happens if you open up Terminal.app and enter

        /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g

        ? (Assuming you've placed MacVim.app in your Applications folder,
        adjust the path otherwise.)

      • Rick R
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
          Thanks Bjorn. That was the problem.. stupid me. I did have an alias in there starting up MacVim. I moved the mvim script to my home bin which is on my path and removed the alias and now things are well.

          (Sorry for the confusion and thanks for you patience. I had installed MacVim a while ago and must have set up that alias at that time, I then started using TextMate but now I'm back to MacVim (I'd rather get good at one editor that I can use on all systems.) I also had the mvim script in /usr/bin and thought that's what was being called instead of the alias (that might have been an older mvim script though, not even a snapshot. I removed that one as well.)