Re: Eugene Lee is famous!

  • Thomas A. Fine
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003

      >I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that must
      >mean he's famous [:-)]
      >
      >" With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
      > computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
      > - Eugene Lee"

      Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
      billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
      picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
      with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

      tom
    • david craig
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
        On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Thomas A. Fine wrote:
        > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
        > HUGE billboards in communities with large technical communites. A
        > giant picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent
        > Green", with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

        Heh.

        Actually, I think that image captures rather well the opinions of BOTH
        camps on either side of the OS X fence.

        David Craig

        <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
      • Bob Ippolito
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
          On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
          wrote:

          >> I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that
          >> must
          >> mean he's famous [:-)]
          >>
          >> " With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
          >> computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
          >> - Eugene Lee"
          >
          > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
          > billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
          > picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
          > with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

          And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
          They'd have to say:

          "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

          or something.

          -bob
        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
            * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
            > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
            > wrote:
            > >Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
            > >billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
            > >picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
            > >with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
            >
            > And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
            > They'd have to say:
            >
            > "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

            Are you sure?

            http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
            gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

            --
            rjbs
          • Bob Ippolito
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
              On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
              wrote:

              > * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
              >> On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
              >> wrote:
              >>> Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
              >>> HUGE
              >>> billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
              >>> picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
              >>> with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
              >>
              >> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
              >> They'd have to say:
              >>
              >> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
              >
              > Are you sure?
              >
              > http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
              > gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

              It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
              "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.

              Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

              -bob
            • Bob Ippolito
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:44 America/New_York, Bob Ippolito wrote:

                > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
                > wrote:
                >
                >> * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
                >>>
                >>> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX
                >>> certified.
                >>> They'd have to say:
                >>>
                >>> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
                >>
                >> Are you sure?
                >>
                >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
                >> gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.
                >
                > It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
                > "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.
                >
                > Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

                Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
                notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
                UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

                -bob
              • Eugene Lee
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                  On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:48:47PM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                  :
                  : Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
                  : notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
                  : UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

                  There's UNIX® the trademark owned by The Open Brand.

                  Then there's "Unix" the generic term.

                  --
                  Eugene Lee
                  eugene at anime dot net