Re: How to open mvim with current dir set to where I am in term? (I did search for this and know it's been asked.)

  • Rick R
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      Cool thanks.
      Just doing
      mvim .
      works fine for the dir I'm in.

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Tyson Roberts <nallohki@...> wrote:

      mvim <directory name>

      mvim /tmp

      For instance.

      If you want to do this automatically, you can create a bash alias:

      alias dirvim='mvim `pwd`'

      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Rick R <rickcr@...> wrote:
      I know this has been asked before but the answers in the email search results seem to be all over the place so pardon for asking what I know has come up before...

      I often want to open up a project in mvim while navigating in terminal to the project dir and then opening up mvim (and then NERDTree) , similar to how I can do in textMate by just typing mate within a dir. Right now mvim always opens to my home dir. Is there an option I can use to configure it to open up to the current directory that I'm located in within my terminal?

      --
      Rick R

      Rick R

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
        2009/12/2 Rick R:
        > Cool thanks.
        > Just doing
        > mvim .
        > works fine for the dir I'm in.

        This should not be necessary...simply typing "mvim" should open up
        MacVim in the current directory (I do this all the time).

        Please follow the instructions at

        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/ReportingBugs

        and see if you can figure out what causes the problem.

      • Rick R
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
          Ok, I'm using Snapshot 49. I followed the instructions as described  below (moved my .vimrc, .vim, and a .gvimrc to a backup) and ran the defaults command to reset them.

          Then in terminal I migrate to a directory beneath /Users/rick ie /Users/rick/temp and type "mvim"

          When I type :pwd it's displaying /Users/rick not /Users/rick/temp

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
            2009/12/2 Rick R:
            > Ok, I'm using Snapshot 49. I followed the instructions as described  below
            > (moved my .vimrc, .vim, and a .gvimrc to a backup) and ran the defaults
            > command to reset them.
            >
            > Then in terminal I migrate to a directory beneath /Users/rick ie
            > /Users/rick/temp and type "mvim"
            >
            > When I type :pwd it's displaying /Users/rick not /Users/rick/temp

            ...and you are certain that you're using the "mvim" script that comes
            bundled with the snapshot? (btw the latest version is 51) It sounds
            to me like your "mvim" is simply an alias to "open -a MacVim.app".
            What is the response if you open Terminal and enter

            which mvim
            alias mvim

            ?

            What happens if you open up Terminal.app and enter

            /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g

            ? (Assuming you've placed MacVim.app in your Applications folder,
            adjust the path otherwise.)

          • Rick R
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
              Thanks Bjorn. That was the problem.. stupid me. I did have an alias in there starting up MacVim. I moved the mvim script to my home bin which is on my path and removed the alias and now things are well.

              (Sorry for the confusion and thanks for you patience. I had installed MacVim a while ago and must have set up that alias at that time, I then started using TextMate but now I'm back to MacVim (I'd rather get good at one editor that I can use on all systems.) I also had the mvim script in /usr/bin and thought that's what was being called instead of the alias (that might have been an older mvim script though, not even a snapshot. I removed that one as well.)