Disable "New Document Containing Selection" option when text is selected

  • Dan Conner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
      Just installed MacVim and am looking forward to trying it out as my
      main code editor. I see almost no use for the "New Document Containing
      Selection" menu option that now appears whenever I right click on
      selected text, and I'm a neat freak enough that it kind of bothers me.
      What do I have to delete to remove this item?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
        2009/12/1 Dan Conner:
        > Just installed MacVim and am looking forward to trying it out as my
        > main code editor. I see almost no use for the "New Document Containing
        > Selection" menu option that now appears whenever I right click on
        > selected text, and I'm a neat freak enough that it kind of bothers me.
        > What do I have to delete to remove this item?

        Interesting...I did not even know about that menu. This is apparently
        a new feature in Snow Leopard -- that menu item is a "Service" that
        MacVim provides. It used to be that these only showed up on the
        "Services" menu (as a submenu to the current application menu).

        Unfortunately there is no easy permanent way of getting rid of this.
        One way that will work until you update MacVim.app is to open up

        MacVim.app/Contents/Info.plist

        and get rid of the line which contains "NSServices" and the <array>
        ... </array> item that follows (this spans ~63 lines). (Or you can
        just delete the service that you dislike.) You'll have to log out and
        log back in again before this change is detected (or perhaps even
        restart).

      • Dan Conner
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
          On Dec 1, 1:40 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > Interesting...I did not even know about that menu.  This is apparently
          > a new feature in Snow Leopard -- that menu item is a "Service" that
          > MacVim provides.  It used to be that these only showed up on the
          > "Services" menu (as a submenu to the current application menu).

          Thanks for the pointer. The menu item can be disabled by going to
          System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts, selecting Services
          in the left column, and unchecking the "New Document Containing
          Selection" item in the list under the Text category. Which is enough
          for me.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
            2009/12/2 Dan Conner:
            > On Dec 1, 1:40 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            >> Interesting...I did not even know about that menu.  This is apparently
            >> a new feature in Snow Leopard -- that menu item is a "Service" that
            >> MacVim provides.  It used to be that these only showed up on the
            >> "Services" menu (as a submenu to the current application menu).
            >
            > Thanks for the pointer. The menu item can be disabled by going to
            > System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts, selecting Services
            > in the left column, and unchecking the "New Document Containing
            > Selection" item in the list under the Text category. Which is enough
            > for me.

            That's clever...I (obviously) did not know about that feature either!
            Thanks for sharing.

          • Carl Jacobsen
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
              On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, björn wrote:

              > 2009/12/1 Dan Conner:
              >> ... I see almost no use for the "New Document Containing
              >> Selection" menu option that now appears whenever I right click on
              >> selected text, ...
              >
              > Interesting...I did not even know about that menu. This is apparently
              > a new feature in Snow Leopard -- that menu item is a "Service" that
              > MacVim provides. It used to be that these only showed up on the
              > "Services" menu (as a submenu to the current application menu).
              >
              > Unfortunately there is no easy permanent way of getting rid of this.
              > One way that will work until you update MacVim.app is to open up
              >
              > MacVim.app/Contents/Info.plist
              >
              > and get rid of the line which contains "NSServices" and the <array>
              > ... </array> item that follows (this spans ~63 lines). ...

              I notice two things, looking at the NSServices section of Info.plist...

              First, on Snow Leopard, the initial "MacVim/" part of the descriptions
              doesn't come through, which makes the descriptions in the context menu
              (only) confusing (in the Services menu, there's a little MacVim icon
              in front of the name, and in Leopard's Services menu, the "MacVim/"
              part turns into a nice submenu). Perhaps MacVim should be incorporated
              into the service names? Something like changing the names:

              MacVim/New Document Containing Selection
              MacVim/Open Selected File
              MacVim/New Document Here
              to these:
              MacVim/New MacVim Document Containing Selection
              MacVim/Open Selected File with MacVim
              MacVim/New MacVim Document Here

              (leaving the "MacVim/" on the front so Leopard still gets a submenu
              in Services; it seems to be harmlessly ignored in Snow Leopard).

              Second, the "Open Selected File" and "New Document Here" services don't
              show up in Snow Leopard (in my experience, at least). I would dearly
              love to be able to control-click in a Finder folder and choose "New
              MacVim Document Here"... Any chance of getting this working in Snow
              Leopard?

              If it helps, the one example I have at hand of an app that *does* show
              up in the context menu on Snow Leopard, when control-clicking in a
              Finder window is EagleFiler. Where MacVim has (roughly) this:

              <key>NSRequiredContext</key>
              <dict>
              <key>NSTextContent</key>
              <string>FilePath</string>
              </dict>
              <key>NSSendTypes</key>
              <array>
              <string>NSStringPboardType</string>
              </array>

              EagleFiler appears to instead have this:

              <key>NSRequiredContext</key>
              <dict>
              </dict>
              <key>NSSendTypes</key>
              <array>
              <string>NSFilenamesPboardType</string>
              </array>

              essentially not requiring a specific context, but instead expecting
              a NSFilenamesPboardType type.

              Cheers,
              -- Carl

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
                2009/12/3 Carl Jacobsen:

                > I notice two things, looking at the NSServices section of Info.plist...
                >
                > First, on Snow Leopard, the initial "MacVim/" part of the descriptions
                > doesn't come through, which makes the descriptions in the context menu
                > (only) confusing (in the Services menu, there's a little MacVim icon
                > in front of the name, and in Leopard's Services menu, the "MacVim/"
                > part turns into a nice submenu).  Perhaps MacVim should be incorporated
                > into the service names?  Something like changing the names:
                >
                >        MacVim/New Document Containing Selection
                >        MacVim/Open Selected File
                >        MacVim/New Document Here
                > to these:
                >        MacVim/New MacVim Document Containing Selection
                >        MacVim/Open Selected File with MacVim
                >        MacVim/New MacVim Document Here
                >
                > (leaving the "MacVim/" on the front so Leopard still gets a submenu
                > in Services; it seems to be harmlessly ignored in Snow Leopard).

                Good idea. I'll implement these changes.

                > Second, the "Open Selected File" and "New Document Here" services don't
                > show up in Snow Leopard (in my experience, at least).  I would dearly
                > love to be able to control-click in a Finder folder and choose "New
                > MacVim Document Here"...  Any chance of getting this working in Snow
                > Leopard?
                >
                > If it helps, the one example I have at hand of an app that *does* show
                > up in the context menu on Snow Leopard, when control-clicking in a
                > Finder window is EagleFiler.  Where MacVim has (roughly) this:
                >
                >        <key>NSRequiredContext</key>
                >        <dict>
                >                <key>NSTextContent</key>
                >                <string>FilePath</string>
                >        </dict>
                >        <key>NSSendTypes</key>
                >        <array>
                >                <string>NSStringPboardType</string>
                >        </array>
                >
                > EagleFiler appears to instead have this:
                >
                >        <key>NSRequiredContext</key>
                >        <dict>
                >        </dict>
                >        <key>NSSendTypes</key>
                >        <array>
                >                <string>NSFilenamesPboardType</string>
                >        </array>
                >
                > essentially not requiring a specific context, but instead expecting
                > a NSFilenamesPboardType type.

                I had a look at Mail.app and it does not specify NSRequiredContext at
                all (not even an empty dictionary). I'll fix this as well.

                Thanks for the suggestions!