Eugene Lee is famous!

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2003
      I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that must
      mean he's famous [:-)]

      " With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
      computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
      - Eugene Lee"

      Hee hee! (Great quote, by the way, Eugene.)

      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2003
        On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:09:37AM -0400, david craig wrote:
        :
        : I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that must
        : mean he's famous [:-)]
        :
        : " With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
        : computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
        : - Eugene Lee"
        :
        : Hee hee! (Great quote, by the way, Eugene.)

        I am nothing compared to the greatness of Kibo. :-)

        --
        Eugene Lee
        "The future's already arrived - it's just not evenly distributed yet."
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003

          >I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that must
          >mean he's famous [:-)]
          >
          >" With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
          > computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
          > - Eugene Lee"

          Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
          billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
          picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
          with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

          tom
        • david craig
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
            On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Thomas A. Fine wrote:
            > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
            > HUGE billboards in communities with large technical communites. A
            > giant picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent
            > Green", with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

            Heh.

            Actually, I think that image captures rather well the opinions of BOTH
            camps on either side of the OS X fence.

            David Craig

            <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
          • Bob Ippolito
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
              On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
              wrote:

              >> I recently spotted a vim-mac regular in someone's signature -- that
              >> must
              >> mean he's famous [:-)]
              >>
              >> " With OS X, Apple was able to achieve one of the holy grails of the
              >> computing industry: make a grandma-proof desktop Unix box.
              >> - Eugene Lee"
              >
              > Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
              > billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
              > picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
              > with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"

              And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
              They'd have to say:

              "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

              or something.

              -bob
            • Ricardo SIGNES
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
                > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
                > wrote:
                > >Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running HUGE
                > >billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
                > >picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
                > >with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
                >
                > And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
                > They'd have to say:
                >
                > "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"

                Are you sure?

                http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
                gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

                --
                rjbs
              • Bob Ippolito
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                  On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
                  wrote:

                  > * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
                  >> On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 11:22 America/New_York, Thomas A. Fine
                  >> wrote:
                  >>> Yeah, but no on seems to have noticed. Apple should start running
                  >>> HUGE
                  >>> billboards in communities with large technical communites. A giant
                  >>> picture of Charleton Heston from the end of the move "Soylent Green",
                  >>> with the Caption: "It's _UNIX_!!! OS X is _UNIX_!!!"
                  >>
                  >> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX certified.
                  >> They'd have to say:
                  >>
                  >> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
                  >
                  > Are you sure?
                  >
                  > http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
                  > gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.

                  It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
                  "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.

                  Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

                  -bob
                • Bob Ippolito
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                    On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:44 America/New_York, Bob Ippolito wrote:

                    > On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:27 America/New_York, Ricardo SIGNES
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> * Bob Ippolito <bob@...> [2003-09-16T11:53:22]
                    >>>
                    >>> And get hardcore sued by The Open Group :) OS X isn't UNIX
                    >>> certified.
                    >>> They'd have to say:
                    >>>
                    >>> "It's _UNIX-like_!!!! OS X is _UNIX-like_!!!!"
                    >>
                    >> Are you sure?
                    >>
                    >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html has a big UNIX
                    >> gaphic and calls it a complete UNIX implementation.
                    >
                    > It says "UNIX-based foundation", "BSD UNIX implementation", and
                    > "popular UNIX scripting languages". It never says OS X *is* UNIX.
                    >
                    > Note that the big graphic says "UNIX based".

                    Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
                    notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
                    UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

                    -bob
                  • Eugene Lee
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
                      On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:48:47PM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                      :
                      : Also, if you check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/ you'll
                      : notice that absolutely no Apple, NeXT, or BSD products are certified
                      : UNIX® by way of The Open Brand.

                      There's UNIX® the trademark owned by The Open Brand.

                      Then there's "Unix" the generic term.

                      --
                      Eugene Lee
                      eugene at anime dot net