Re: Whoops-- upgraded to perl 5.8!

  • culley harrelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7 9:37 AM
      This worked-- thanks! I couldn't find src/runtime but the old vim62
      worked.

      culley

      On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > % make -f Make_osx.mak
      > should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just
      > find Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the
      > old version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy
      > src/runtime/ (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system
      > vimrc and gvimrc files.
    • Bob Ippolito
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7 11:04 AM
        On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 09:59 America/New_York, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
        > people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:
        >
        > 1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are
        > using
        > it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

        A possible solution, but I'm sure there's someone out there that uses
        the Perl feature.

        > 2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how
        > do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
        > different.

        It's pretty likely that the Perl 5.6 and 5.8 libraries aren't even
        binary compatible, I wouldn't want to try it.

        > 3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
        > new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

        It's a bad idea to ask people to change anything under their /System

        > 4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
        > compatibility with existing applications.

        Not going to happen.

        The best thing you can do, IMHO, is simply just distribute two copies
        of Vim, one for Panther users and one for Jaguar users. You could get
        particularly tricky though, it's possible to write an executable stub
        for Vim that detects which version of OS X you're running and then
        execve's a different executable. The .app bundle could include
        executables for 10.2 (w/ Perl 5.6 support and no Python) and 10.3 (w/
        Perl 5.8 and Python 2.3 support). This way it wouldn't seem like
        you're distributing two copies of Vim, since you would still have only
        one download.

        -bob