MacVim.app snapshot 51 released

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 21, 2009

      I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot

      This is the first release to include the Core Text renderer (which has
      been living in a feature branch for quite some time). This renderer
      is almost an order of magnitude faster than the default renderer and
      this is particularly noticeable when editing in full-screen mode. It
      relies on Vim to handle drawing of composing characters which means
      more predicable behavior (compared with other Vim GUIs) but this also
      means that even if a font has special glyphs which includes the
      composing characters these will not be used. Thus the default
      renderer may look better if you are editing scripts will lots of
      composing characters. Also, there are still some display issues that
      I have not yet managed to fix (e.g. try ":set go+=l" or resizing with
      the mouse, to see what I mean). On the flip side, transparency is
      supported on 10.6 (only matters if you compile your own binary),
      undercurls (as well as underlines) are supported, modeless selection
      works, and probably other stuff that I can't think of right now.

      Anyway, to try out the Core Text renderer, simply go in to the
      Advanced preferences and make sure the "experimental renderer" is
      ticked. I use it exclusively these days.

      Changes since snapshot 50:

      * Fixed a bug which could lead to crashes when closing windows (Issue 129)
      * Fix window tiling when using multiple monitors
      * The NSRepeatCountBinding user default has no effect in MacVim
      * Setting 'lines' and 'columns' in .vimrc works again
      * Added the Core Text renderer
      * Rearranged the Advanced preferences pane

      Note that automatic updating is still disabled. I'll add it back
      someday, but at the moment I do not have the energy to (I'd rather do
      fun stuff when I have some free time to work on MacVim).

    • Wincent Colaiuta
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 22, 2009
        Thanks Björn,

        Any way to turn off anti-aliasing when using the Core Text renderer?

        Cheers,
        Wincent
      • Yongwei Wu
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 22, 2009
          2009/11/22 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
          >
          > This is the first release to include the Core Text renderer (which has
          > been living in a feature branch for quite some time).  This renderer
          > is almost an order of magnitude faster than the default renderer and
          > this is particularly noticeable when editing in full-screen mode.  It
          > relies on Vim to handle drawing of composing characters which means
          > more predicable behavior (compared with other Vim GUIs) but this also
          > means that even if a font has special glyphs which includes the
          > composing characters these will not be used.  Thus the default
          > renderer may look better if you are editing scripts will lots of
          > composing characters.  Also, there are still some display issues that
          > I have not yet managed to fix (e.g. try ":set go+=l" or resizing with
          > the mouse, to see what I mean).  On the flip side, transparency is
          > supported on 10.6 (only matters if you compile your own binary),
          > undercurls (as well as underlines) are supported, modeless selection
          > works, and probably other stuff that I can't think of right now.
          >
          > Anyway, to try out the Core Text renderer, simply go in to the
          > Advanced preferences and make sure the "experimental renderer" is
          > ticked.  I use it exclusively these days.

          One negative report on the new renderer: the option 'guifontwide'
          seems to have stopped working. :-(

          Best regards,

          Yongwei

          --
          Wu Yongwei

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 22, 2009
            Hi Wincent,

            2009/11/22 Wincent Colaiuta:

            > Any way to turn off anti-aliasing when using the Core Text renderer?

            :set noanti

            ...should work as always...let me see...yes, it works for me. Does it
            not work on your end?

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 22, 2009
              Hi Yongwei,

              2009/11/22 Yongwei Wu:

              > One negative report on the new renderer: the option 'guifontwide'
              > seems to have stopped working. :-(

              Ah...yes, I did not yet get around to implementing it. Thanks for the reminder.

              I'm sure there are plenty more things that I did not yet think of...if
              anybody notices problems like this, just let me know and I'll try to
              have them implemented in time for the next snapshot.

            • Wincent Colaiuta
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 22, 2009
                On Nov 22, 1:33 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                > Hi Wincent,
                >
                > 2009/11/22 Wincent Colaiuta:
                >

                > > Any way to turn off anti-aliasing when using the Core Text renderer?
                >
                > :set noanti
                >
                > ...should work as always...let me see...yes, it works for me.  Does it
                > not work on your end?
                >
                > Björn

                Yep, thanks for that. It works.

                Probably because I am using Monaco 10, I have never needed to use that
                setting before with the old renderer; it was already always
                unantialiased.

                Cheers,
                Wincent
              • Craig
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 23, 2009
                  Can you share a configure line that shows transparency working with 10.6 SDK?
                  I like to build form source and would like Python 2.6 supported.

                  Today I did a git pull, ran this

                  ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config

                  and got Python 2.6 and 10.6 SDK but weird transparency (text was grey but the background wasn't see-through). I've enabled CoreText in the Advanced Preferences panel too.

                  TIA
                  -C

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 23, 2009
                    2009/11/23 Craig:
                    > Can you share a configure line that shows transparency working with 10.6
                    > SDK?
                    > I like to build form source and would like Python 2.6 supported.
                    >
                    > Today I did a git pull, ran this
                    >
                    > ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp
                    > --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses
                    > --enable-multibyte
                    > --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config
                    >
                    > and got Python 2.6 and 10.6 SDK but weird transparency (text was grey but
                    > the background wasn't see-through). I've enabled CoreText in the Advanced
                    > Preferences panel too.

                    This did the trick for me (Python 2.6, transparency supported if
                    "experimental" renderer is enabled in the Advanced preferences):

                    ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
                    --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-cscope; make clean;
                    make

                    You really don't need all those extra flags you specified by the way.

                  • Craig
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 23, 2009
                      Not sure which of the extra switches was breaking things, but still, I've got a local build (I like the bleeding edge) with all things working.
                      Cheers,
                      -C

                      2009/11/23 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

                      2009/11/23 Craig:
                      > Can you share a configure line that shows transparency working with 10.6
                      > SDK?
                      > I like to build form source and would like Python 2.6 supported.
                      >
                      > Today I did a git pull, ran this
                      >
                      > ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp
                      > --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses
                      > --enable-multibyte
                      > --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config
                      >
                      > and got Python 2.6 and 10.6 SDK but weird transparency (text was grey but
                      > the background wasn't see-through). I've enabled CoreText in the Advanced
                      > Preferences panel too.

                      This did the trick for me (Python 2.6, transparency supported if
                      "experimental" renderer is enabled in the Advanced preferences):

                       ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
                      --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-cscope; make clean;
                      make

                      You really don't need all those extra flags you specified by the way.

                    • Shirk
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 23, 2009
                        > > This did the trick for me (Python 2.6, transparency supported if
                        > > "experimental" renderer is enabled in the Advanced preferences):
                        >
                        > >  ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
                        > > --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-cscope; make clean;
                        > > make
                        >
                        > > You really don't need all those extra flags you specified by the way.
                        >
                        > > Björn

                        Nice job!
                        Finally a 10.6 SDK version with transparency *and* python 2.6 ^^
                        --> proof: http://skitch.com/shirkrin/nes3d/fullscreen

                        And for all the curious out there my build steps:
                        - git clean -fxd
                        - ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-
                        rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-
                        tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/
                        Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config/
                        --with-macsdk=10.6
                        - Enable the 'experimental' renderer

                        Keep up the good work Björn!

                        Cheers,
                        Shirk

                      • Craig
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 23, 2009
                          I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and vsplit.
                          I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).

                          -C

                          2009/11/22 Yongwei Wu:

                          > One negative report on the new renderer: the option 'guifontwide'
                          > seems to have stopped working. :-(

                          Ah...yes, I did not yet get around to implementing it.  Thanks for the reminder.

                          I'm sure there are plenty more things that I did not yet think of...if
                          anybody notices problems like this, just let me know and I'll try to
                          have them implemented in time for the next snapshot.

                        • Panos
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 24, 2009
                            New renderer is lightning fast! Thanks Bjorn :D

                            (not stumbled into any glitches yet)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 24, 2009
                              2009/11/24 Craig:
                              > I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and
                              > vsplit.
                              > I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).

                              A screenshot won't be terribly helpful: try to come up with some
                              simple steps to reproduce the problem instead.

                              Thanks,

                            • Craig
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 24, 2009
                                If I open any file and then do
                                :bel vert new
                                or
                                :vsplit
                                the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
                                This happens consistently.
                                -C

                                2009/11/24 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

                                2009/11/24 Craig:
                                > I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and
                                > vsplit.
                                > I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).

                                A screenshot won't be terribly helpful: try to come up with some
                                simple steps to reproduce the problem instead.

                                Thanks,

                              • René Köcher
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 24, 2009
                                  Am 24.11.2009 um 16:59 schrieb Craig:

                                  > If I open any file and then do
                                  > :bel vert new
                                  > or
                                  > :vsplit
                                  > the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
                                  > This happens consistently.
                                  :vsplit or :vnew split vertically - did you mean just :new?

                                  Can't reproduce in in current git-built (10.6 SDK, experimental renderer + transparency).
                                  Neither vertical nor horizontal splits / new buffers cause any redrawing issues.

                                  However I remember this behavior with pre-snapshot-51 git builds,
                                  but it seems to be gone since then.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Shirk

                                  BitSpin.org - don't get twisted up!
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 24, 2009
                                    2009/11/24 Craig:
                                    > If I open any file and then do
                                    > :bel vert new
                                    > or
                                    > :vsplit
                                    > the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
                                    > This happens consistently.

                                    Thanks for Craig, I can reproduce this. I'll see what I can do...

                                  • Andrew Long
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                                      On 22 Nov 2009, at 02:10, björn wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
                                      >
                                      > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
                                      >
                                      > <snip/>

                                      Bjorn

                                      This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?

                                      Regards, Andy
                                      --
                                      Andrew Long
                                      andrew dot long at mac dot com

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                                        2009/11/25 Andrew Long:

                                        > This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?

                                        Andrew,

                                        It is difficult to compile a universal Vim binary with all features
                                        that supports 10.4 -- 10.6, and including PPC increases the build time
                                        a lot. All in all, this means a lot of time for me spent on building
                                        snapshots and this is time I just don't have. So in the end I decided
                                        to only build the snapshots for Intel 10.5+ from now on.

                                        The stable build still runs on Tiger and it is of course always
                                        possible to build your own custom version.

                                      • Andrew Long
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                                          On 25 Nov 2009, at 19:03, björn wrote:

                                          > 2009/11/25 Andrew Long:
                                          >>
                                          >> This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?
                                          >
                                          > Andrew,
                                          >
                                          > It is difficult to compile a universal Vim binary with all features
                                          > that supports 10.4 -- 10.6, and including PPC increases the build time
                                          > a lot. All in all, this means a lot of time for me spent on building
                                          > snapshots and this is time I just don't have. So in the end I decided
                                          > to only build the snapshots for Intel 10.5+ from now on.
                                          >
                                          > The stable build still runs on Tiger and it is of course always
                                          > possible to build your own custom version.

                                          Right, thanks. I'll have fre time next week, so I'll give it a go

                                          Regards, Andy

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                            2009/11/24 björn:
                                            > 2009/11/24 Craig:
                                            >> If I open any file and then do
                                            >> :bel vert new
                                            >> or
                                            >> :vsplit
                                            >> the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
                                            >> This happens consistently.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for Craig, I can reproduce this.  I'll see what I can do...

                                            Ok, so this turns out to be the bug that I mentioned in my original
                                            post: it is triggered by the left scrollbar appearing when you
                                            vertically split a window (the same bug will appear if you hide a
                                            scrollbar). (Do a ":set go-=L" and then split and everything is
                                            fine.) I haven't managed to come up with a fix for it yet.

                                          • Craig
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                              2009/11/27 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>
                                              2009/11/24 björn:
                                              > 2009/11/24 Craig:
                                              >> If I open any file and then do
                                              >> :bel vert new
                                              >> or
                                              >> :vsplit
                                              >> the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
                                              >> This happens consistently.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for Craig, I can reproduce this.  I'll see what I can do...

                                              Ok, so this turns out to be the bug that I mentioned in my original
                                              post: it is triggered by the left scrollbar appearing when you
                                              vertically split a window (the same bug will appear if you hide a
                                              scrollbar).  (Do a ":set go-=L" and then split and everything is
                                              fine.)  I haven't managed to come up with a fix for it yet.

                                              Björn

                                              Thanks for the work-around. I'll hold my breath for a fix. :-)

                                              -C

                                            • Kamen Nedev
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 30, 2009
                                                > On 25 Nov 2009, at 19:03, björn wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > 2009/11/25 Andrew Long:
                                                >
                                                > >> This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?
                                                >
                                                > > Andrew,
                                                >
                                                > > It is difficult to compile a universal Vim binary with all features
                                                > > that supports 10.4 -- 10.6, and including PPC increases the build time
                                                > > a lot.  All in all, this means a lot of time for me spent on building
                                                > > snapshots and this is time I just don't have.  So in the end I decided
                                                > > to only build the snapshots for Intel 10.5+ from now on.
                                                >
                                                > > The stable build still runs on Tiger and it is of course always
                                                > > possible to build your own custom version.
                                                >
                                                > Right, thanks. I'll have fre time next week, so I'll give it a go
                                                >
                                                > Regards, Andy
                                                > --
                                                > Andrew Long
                                                > andrew dot long at mac dot com

                                                It built just fine on my iBook PPC G4 10.4.11, huge --with-
                                                macarchs=ppc, python, ruby, and perl interpreters.

                                                Is there anyway I can contribute the build to the GoogleCode site?

                                                Best,

                                                Kamen

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009
                                                  2009/12/1 Kamen Nedev:

                                                  > It built just fine on my iBook PPC G4 10.4.11, huge --with-
                                                  > macarchs=ppc, python, ruby, and perl interpreters.
                                                  >
                                                  > Is there anyway I can contribute the build to the GoogleCode site?

                                                  Hi Kamen,

                                                  I don't mind if you put the binary up for download somewhere.
                                                  However, in the last month about 1% of all visits to the MacVim
                                                  project page came from PPC/10.4 so I don't see much need in having the
                                                  snapshot available for this platform on the project page itself (there
                                                  is always the stable build). Thanks for the offer though! (If you do
                                                  make it available, please let us know where so that we can refer
                                                  people to that site in case anybody asks.)