Re: Whoops-- upgraded to perl 5.8!

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      [about Compiling Vim because Perl changed]

      I just managed to install OS X 10.3 "Panther" and try out Vim. I used
      the version from macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ for OS X 10.2. As reported
      before, this version doesn't run, because the Perl library can't be
      loaded.

      On Panther exists /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1, which doesn't exist on
      previous releases. Thus it's not possible to build Vim such that it can
      load the same Perl library on both systems.

      I copied /System/Library/Perl/darwin from the 10.2 disk to 10.3 and
      then it worked just fine. Thus the problem is merely that Vim depends
      on a specific version of the Perl library.

      It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
      people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:

      1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are using
      it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

      2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how to
      do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
      different.

      3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
      new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

      4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
      compatibility with existing applications.

      --
      "It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say
      and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson

    • culley harrelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
        This worked-- thanks! I couldn't find src/runtime but the old vim62
        worked.

        culley

        On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > % make -f Make_osx.mak
        > should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just
        > find Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the
        > old version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy
        > src/runtime/ (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system
        > vimrc and gvimrc files.
      • Bob Ippolito
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
          On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 09:59 America/New_York, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
          > people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:
          >
          > 1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are
          > using
          > it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

          A possible solution, but I'm sure there's someone out there that uses
          the Perl feature.

          > 2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how
          > do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
          > different.

          It's pretty likely that the Perl 5.6 and 5.8 libraries aren't even
          binary compatible, I wouldn't want to try it.

          > 3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
          > new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

          It's a bad idea to ask people to change anything under their /System

          > 4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
          > compatibility with existing applications.

          Not going to happen.

          The best thing you can do, IMHO, is simply just distribute two copies
          of Vim, one for Panther users and one for Jaguar users. You could get
          particularly tricky though, it's possible to write an executable stub
          for Vim that detects which version of OS X you're running and then
          execve's a different executable. The .app bundle could include
          executables for 10.2 (w/ Perl 5.6 support and no Python) and 10.3 (w/
          Perl 5.8 and Python 2.3 support). This way it wouldn't seem like
          you're distributing two copies of Vim, since you would still have only
          one download.

          -bob