Re: Whoops-- upgraded to perl 5.8!

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
      culley harrelson wrote:

      >> % open -a StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx
      >> % make -f Make_osx.mak
      >>

      > ok this went a little further. I realized that I had run ./configure in
      > this directory and I think that was messing things up. So I started
      > from scratch. Now
      >
      > make -f Make_osx.mak
      >
      > completes but when I try to run make install (I am suppose to do this
      > right?) I get:
      >
      > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2
      > -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -O2
      > link.sh: Using unmodified link command
      > -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o
      > objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o
      > objects/ex_cmdse
      > link.cmd: -o: command not found
      > link.sh: Linking doesn't work at all, removing auto/link.sed
      > make: *** [vim] Error 127

      Do not make install. (Maybe
      % make -f Make_osx.mak
      should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just find
      Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the old
      version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy src/runtime/
      (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system vimrc and gvimrc
      files.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        [about Compiling Vim because Perl changed]

        I just managed to install OS X 10.3 "Panther" and try out Vim. I used
        the version from macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ for OS X 10.2. As reported
        before, this version doesn't run, because the Perl library can't be
        loaded.

        On Panther exists /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1, which doesn't exist on
        previous releases. Thus it's not possible to build Vim such that it can
        load the same Perl library on both systems.

        I copied /System/Library/Perl/darwin from the 10.2 disk to 10.3 and
        then it worked just fine. Thus the problem is merely that Vim depends
        on a specific version of the Perl library.

        It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
        people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:

        1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are using
        it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

        2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how to
        do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
        different.

        3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
        new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

        4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
        compatibility with existing applications.

        --
        "It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say
        and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson

      • culley harrelson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
          This worked-- thanks! I couldn't find src/runtime but the old vim62
          worked.

          culley

          On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > % make -f Make_osx.mak
          > should work, but I do not think anyone has implemented this.) Just
          > find Vim.app (in your src/ directory IIRC) and use it to replace the
          > old version. Or make a vim/ folder, drop Vim.app inside, copy
          > src/runtime/ (I think) to /vim/vim62/ and (optional) drop in system
          > vimrc and gvimrc files.
        • Bob Ippolito
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
            On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 09:59 America/New_York, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > It would be very good if Vim works on both 10.2 and 10.3, since many
            > people will upgrade as soon as 10.3 is available. I see two solutions:
            >
            > 1. Do not include the Perl feature. I don't think many people are
            > using
            > it, compatibility with 10.3 is probably more important.

            A possible solution, but I'm sure there's someone out there that uses
            the Perl feature.

            > 2. Do not use an absolute path to the Perl library. I don't know how
            > do this though. Might be impossible, since Perl 5.6 and 5.8 are
            > different.

            It's pretty likely that the Perl 5.6 and 5.8 libraries aren't even
            binary compatible, I wouldn't want to try it.

            > 3. Tell people to copy the Perl library from their old system to the
            > new. Not a very nice solution for spoiled Mac users.

            It's a bad idea to ask people to change anything under their /System

            > 4. Tell Apple to include the old Perl library for backwards
            > compatibility with existing applications.

            Not going to happen.

            The best thing you can do, IMHO, is simply just distribute two copies
            of Vim, one for Panther users and one for Jaguar users. You could get
            particularly tricky though, it's possible to write an executable stub
            for Vim that detects which version of OS X you're running and then
            execve's a different executable. The .app bundle could include
            executables for 10.2 (w/ Perl 5.6 support and no Python) and 10.3 (w/
            Perl 5.8 and Python 2.3 support). This way it wouldn't seem like
            you're distributing two copies of Vim, since you would still have only
            one download.

            -bob