[vim-mac] Re: MacVim Official Website

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
      Perhaps this is a good time to ask something that
      has confused me ... are the Vim's that one can
      download from

      <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>

      entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
      versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both
      have the same creator code, so they at least are _pretending_
      to be the same application. (If they are not, what are the
      relative merits of the version 5.5.38 available from Axel,
      versus the 5.6 available from Daniel St. Amant?)

      David

      <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
    • Bob Batson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
        On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Sven Guckes wrote:

        > * Bob Batson <bob@...> [000224 02:07]:
        > > What's the URL of the official website for "VIM for macintosh"?

        [snip]

        Bob Batson L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
        bob@... Kansas City
        TCS - Mystic Fire Priest USDA zone 5b
      • H. Eckert
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2000
          Quoting david craig (dac@...):
          > <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
          > <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>
          >
          > entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
          > versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both

          Different versions from the same port. There is just on main
          port but several people working on it and putting snapshots of
          their corresponding current version on the net.

          Greetings,
          Ripley
          --
          H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
          ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2000
            Thanks for clarifying; it's appreciated. A question
            I meant to ask in my first post: Do the version numbers
            of the respective applications have anything to do
            with one another? I suppose that the presumption would
            be that the application version number refers to that
            of the port, then? (To say it another way, would versions
            5.6 of these two implementations of VIM have, in theory,
            an essential parity in VIM features, differing primarily
            in how the authors went about implementing them, and
            perhaps what goodies above and beyond VIM itself the
            authors throw in?)

            Amazing how I can be so baffled by something so simple :-)

            David

            On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, H. Eckert wrote:

            > Quoting david craig (dac@...):
            > > <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
            > > <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>
            > >
            > > entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
            > > versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both
            >
            > Different versions from the same port. There is just on main
            > port but several people working on it and putting snapshots of
            > their corresponding current version on the net.
            >

            > Greetings,
            > Ripley
            > --
            > H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
            > ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.
            > "(Technobabbel)" (Jetrel) - "Müssen wir uns diesen Schwachsinn wirklich
            > anhören?" (Neelix)

            David

            <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2000
              At 11:06 Uhr +0900 2000-02-26, david craig wrote:
              >Thanks for clarifying; it's appreciated. A question
              >I meant to ask in my first post: Do the version numbers
              >of the respective applications have anything to do
              >with one another?

              Yes.

              >I suppose that the presumption would
              >be that the application version number refers to that
              >of the port, then?

              Right

              >(To say it another way, would versions
              >5.6 of these two implementations of VIM have, in theory,
              >an essential parity in VIM features, differing primarily
              >in how the authors went about implementing them, and
              >perhaps what goodies above and beyond VIM itself the
              >authors throw in?)

              Correct.

              MacVim on my page was compiled before 5.6 was available and I left my
              compiler just after putting it on my homepage. In the meantime Dany took
              the 5.6 release, fixed some bugs and released it on his page.

              When I'm back in Germany I will download 5.6 release (+patches) and Dany's
              patches and build a new version which I will put on my homepage.

              The main differences are:
              Dany's version is FAT, I have separate binaries for 68k and PPC
              My 68k version has syntax disabled, don't know about Dany's.
              My version is compiled with CWPro2 Dany's with CW9 (IIRC).

              The rule of thump is:
              Whoever has time puts a binary on his page.

              Axel

              who would be surprised to see this on the list, becuase I'm writing from a
              different address than my subscribe address.

              --
              Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
              than children do from infancy