Re: Transparency Not Working Properly Snow Leopard Build

  • Craig Emery
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
      If I build form the source myself, are there any configure options that I should use?
      I ask because when I

      : set transparency=50

      all I get is a weird greyness to the background; I certainly don't see what's underneath my Gvim window.

      -C

      2009/11/12 Joshua Bronson <jabronson@...>
      On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

      2009/11/11 Joshua Bronson:

      > On Sep 15, 3:48 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      >> Indeed, snapshot 49 works but not my custom binary built for 10.6.
      >> So, apparently something has changed in the 10.6 Cocoa framework which
      >> breakstransparency.  *sigh*
      >>
      >> Björn
      >
      > I'm running a MacPorts build of snapshot50 on Snow Leopard and I'm
      > having issues with transparency. I just came across this thread and
      > noticed it hadn't been updated in a while. Anything blocking progress
      > on http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=230?

      Hi Josh,

      Use the official snapshot that I build instead, it fully supports
      transparency (since it is built against the 10.5 SDK).

      I am not working on the transparency issue: this feature was
      contributed in the first place so I am not too familiar with it.  I
      poked around quickly but couldn't figure out how to fix it, thus I am
      waiting for somebody who actually uses this feature (I don't) to fix
      it and send me a patch.

      Björn

      Gotcha, thanks for the update Björn. Who knows, maybe some user in the MacPorts community who could fix it might notice the ticket I put in and send you a patch!

      Best,
      Josh

    • René Köcher
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
        On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Craig Emery <craig.emery@...> wrote:
        > If I build form the source myself, are there any configure options that I
        > should use?
        > I ask because when I
        >
        > : set transparency=50
        >
        > all I get is a weird greyness to the background; I certainly don't see
        > what's underneath my Gvim window.
        >
        > -C

        I can confirm this.

        I did a fresh built from git master (against both 10.5 and 10.6 SDK).
        All I get is a grayed background in Vim but no transparency.

        In addition I did try the same using the core-text branch,
        which (apart from not being transparent at all) does some strange ghosting
        when you scroll text with transparency < 100.

        Cheers,
        Shirk
        BitSpin.org :: don't get twisted up!

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
          2009/11/13 René Köcher:

          > On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Craig Emery wrote:
          >> If I build form the source myself, are there any configure options that I
          >> should use?
          >> I ask because when I
          >>
          >> : set transparency=50
          >>
          >> all I get is a weird greyness to the background; I certainly don't see
          >> what's underneath my Gvim window.
          >>
          >> -C
          >
          > I can confirm this.
          >
          > I did a fresh built from git master (against both 10.5 and 10.6 SDK).
          > All I get is a grayed background in Vim but no transparency.

          Huh?! Transparency works for me when passing the "--with-macsdk=10.5"
          to configure. Are you sure the compilation was ok (e.g. did you make
          sure you didn't mistype something)?

          Transparency _does_not_work_ when using the 10.6 SDK. This is what
          has been reported already (click the link to the Issue report in
          Joshua's post).

          > In addition I did try the same using the core-text branch,
          > which (apart from not being transparent at all) does some strange ghosting
          > when you scroll text with transparency < 100.

          Core Text does not support transparency (it never did) -- it's just
          another one of these things that I haven't gotten around to.

          Since transparency seems so important to many people I strongly urge
          anybody who uses this setting to try to fix the outstanding issues
          (fix 10.6 SDK, fix Core Text) and send me a patch. This is extremely
          low priority for me at the moment since I do not use transparency at
          all. Please help me out!

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
            2009/11/13 björn:

            > Core Text does not support transparency (it never did) -- it's just
            > another one of these things that I haven't gotten around to.

            Let me reformulate that:

            "The MacVim Core Text renderer does not support transparency (it never did)."

            Obviously I am not claiming that the Core Text API does not support
            transparency. ;-)

          • Joshua Bronson
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 13, 2009
              On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              Since transparency seems so important to many people I strongly urge
              anybody who uses this setting to try to fix the outstanding issues
              (fix 10.6 SDK, fix Core Text) and send me a patch.  This is extremely
              low priority for me at the moment since I do not use transparency at
              all.  Please help me out!

              If I knew the first thing about Cocoa programming I would totally give this a shot! I've never written a line of Objective-C, but when I finally get a chance to play with it this will be one of the first things I look at if it's not fixed by then. In the meantime, do you have the email address of the contributor of the original transparency patch? Maybe they're not even aware there's an issue for it with 10.6, and the fix is the sort of thing that would only take him or her a second? </wishful thinking> :)

            • René Köcher
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 14, 2009
                Am 13.11.2009 um 17:36 schrieb björn:

                > Huh?! Transparency works for me when passing the "--with-macsdk=10.5"
                > to configure. Are you sure the compilation was ok (e.g. did you make
                > sure you didn't mistype something)?
                Holly Steve Jobs! You're right!

                I did a separate compile in a new git checkout (same config flags) and now transparency works!
                Strange enough.. make clean; git clean -fxd should have resulted in the same.

                I can state that these flags work for me even on SL:
                ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6//lib/python2.6/config/

                Cheers,
                Shirk
                BitSpinn.org - don't get twisted up!
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 14, 2009
                  2009/11/13 Joshua Bronson:

                  >> Since transparency seems so important to many people I strongly urge
                  >> anybody who uses this setting to try to fix the outstanding issues
                  >> (fix 10.6 SDK, fix Core Text) and send me a patch.  This is extremely
                  >> low priority for me at the moment since I do not use transparency at
                  >> all.  Please help me out!
                  >
                  > If I knew the first thing about Cocoa programming I would totally give this
                  > a shot! I've never written a line of Objective-C, but when I finally get a
                  > chance to play with it this will be one of the first things I look at if
                  > it's not fixed by then. In the meantime, do you have the email address of
                  > the contributor of the original transparency patch? Maybe they're not even
                  > aware there's an issue for it with 10.6, and the fix is the sort of thing
                  > that would only take him or her a second? </wishful thinking> :)

                  George Harker wrote the original transparency patch (search the
                  vim_mac archives). Unfortunately this is not going to be an easy fix
                  for anybody (I think) since the problem lies with some change within
                  the Cocoa frameworks between versions 10.5 and 10.6. I'm guessing the
                  best way to attack this problem is to look around and see if any other
                  app has working transparency code for 10.6 and try to adapt that.

                • Craig
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                    So If I try the below configure rune I get transparency working, but it's failing to give me Python 2.6. :-(
                    The Python config directory does exist, but

                    : py print sys.version
                    2.5.4 (r254:67916, Jul  7 2009, 23:51:24)
                    [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)]

                    -C

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                      On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Craig <craig.emery@...> wrote:
                      > So If I try the below configure rune I get transparency working, but it's
                      > failing to give me Python 2.6. :-(
                      > The Python config directory does exist, but
                      >
                      > : py print sys.version
                      > 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Jul 7 2009, 23:51:24)
                      > [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)]
                      >
                      > -C

                      Craig,

                      please have a look at my last reply to this topic.
                      I included my configure flags which will produce a working
                      transparency-supported AND
                      python2.6 capable build.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                        Hi Shirk,

                        (to me it looks like) your last post doesn't look like it uses the 10.5 SDK switch and so does give Python2.6 but not transparency.

                        When I use your configure rune with the 10.5 SDK switch added

                        ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6//lib/python2.6/config/ --with-macsdk=10.5

                        I get transparency but Python 2.5.4 :-(

                        Am I missing something?

                        -C

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                          2009/11/16 Craig:
                          > Hi Shirk,
                          >
                          > (to me it looks like) your last post doesn't look like it uses the 10.5 SDK
                          > switch and so does give Python2.6 but not transparency.
                          >
                          > When I use your configure rune with the 10.5 SDK switch added
                          >
                          > ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp
                          > --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses
                          > --enable-multibyte
                          > --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6//lib/python2.6/config/
                          > --with-macsdk=10.5
                          >
                          > I get transparency but Python 2.5.4 :-(
                          >
                          > Am I missing something?

                          There is a typo in the --with-python-config-dir option (two slashes
                          before "lib"). Don't know if that is the problem since I've never
                          used that option myself (so I can't say for sure if it should work or
                          not). After the configure phase you can open up src/auto/config.mk to
                          make sure that all (Python) flags are set correctly. If not, just
                          edit the file, then make (note that calling "configure" will overwrite
                          that file though). (Don't ask me exactly what the "correct" flags
                          are...you'll have to experiment for yourself to figure that out.)

                        • Craig
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 16, 2009
                            2009/11/16 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

                            2009/11/16 Craig:
                            > Hi Shirk,
                            >
                            > (to me it looks like) your last post doesn't look like it uses the 10.5 SDK
                            > switch and so does give Python2.6 but not transparency.
                            >
                            > When I use your configure rune with the 10.5 SDK switch added
                            >
                            > ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp
                            > --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses
                            > --enable-multibyte
                            > --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6//lib/python2.6/config/
                            > --with-macsdk=10.5
                            >
                            > I get transparency but Python 2.5.4 :-(
                            >
                            > Am I missing something?

                            There is a typo in the --with-python-config-dir option (two slashes
                            before "lib").  Don't know if that is the problem since I've never
                            used that option myself (so I can't say for sure if it should work or
                            not).  After the configure phase you can open up src/auto/config.mk to
                            make sure that all (Python) flags are set correctly.  If not, just
                            edit the file, then make (note that calling "configure" will overwrite
                            that file though).  (Don't ask me exactly what the "correct" flags
                            are...you'll have to experiment for yourself to figure that out.)

                            From configure.in:
                                    dnl On Mac OS X, when an SDK has been explicitly chosen we can't rely
                                    dnl on any of the search paths set above.  The -framework flag does it
                                    dnl all for us.
                                    if test -n "$MACSDK"; then
                                      PYTHON_CFLAGS=
                                      PYTHON_LIBS=-framework Python
                                      PYTHON_CONFDIR=
                                      PYTHON_GETPATH_CFLAGS=
                                    fi

                            Even if I take the Python section from src/auto/config.mk when NOT using the --with-macsdk switch and putting it into the src/auto/config.mk made when using same, then I still get 2.5.4.

                            So it seems clear that Python2.6 in SL in incompatible with the 10.5 SDK.

                            -C

                          • duffnut
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009
                              > I'm guessing the
                              > best way to attack this problem is to look around and see if any other
                              > app has working transparency code for 10.6 and try to adapt that.
                              >
                              > Björn

                              afloat app seems to have figured out transparency in 10.6, might be
                              something there worth scavenging? I'm no programmer :( maybe ask the
                              afloat's developer?

                            • René Köcher
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009
                                Am 18.11.2009 um 12:30 schrieb duffnut:

                                >> I'm guessing the
                                >> best way to attack this problem is to look around and see if any other
                                >> app has working transparency code for 10.6 and try to adapt that.
                                >>
                                >> Björn
                                >
                                > afloat app seems to have figured out transparency in 10.6, might be
                                > something there worth scavenging? I'm no programmer :( maybe ask the
                                > afloat's developer?

                                I'm sorry to tell you this but figuring out transparency is not the problem..

                                I had a look at this problem for some time now and I did come up with a fix
                                that enabled a completely transparent vim window (like afloat does).
                                This was irritating since everything - including the menu and toolbars
                                was transparent.

                                What seems broken (or changed) in 10.6 is the feature to have a transparent
                                View within an otherwise opaque window..

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009
                                  2009/11/18 René Köcher:

                                  > Am 18.11.2009 um 12:30 schrieb duffnut:
                                  >

                                  >>> I'm guessing the
                                  >>> best way to attack this problem is to look around and see if any other
                                  >>> app has working transparency code for 10.6 and try to adapt that.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Björn
                                  >>
                                  >> afloat app seems to have figured out transparency in 10.6, might be
                                  >> something there worth scavenging? I'm no programmer :( maybe ask the
                                  >> afloat's developer?

                                  Thanks for the suggestion: I did not take a look at it because of
                                  Shirk's post saying the entire window is transparent (including the
                                  title bar etc.).

                                  Does anybody know of any other (open source) app that manages to do
                                  transparency right on 10.6?

                                  > I'm sorry to tell you this but figuring out transparency is not the problem..

                                  I don't think we should give up quite yet...

                                  > I had a look at this problem for some time now and I did come up with a fix
                                  > that enabled a completely transparent vim window (like afloat does).
                                  > This was irritating since everything - including the menu and toolbars
                                  > was transparent.

                                  I'm glad you took a look at the problem. I also managed to get to the
                                  "everything is transparent" stage, but obviously that is not good
                                  enough. The only way this would be useful is if we were to draw all
                                  the window decorations manually and make sure they are opaque, but
                                  this is a bit crazy.

                                  > What seems broken (or changed) in 10.6 is the feature to have a transparent
                                  > View within an otherwise opaque window..

                                  Well, Terminal.app manages to do it...so it is definitely possible
                                  (but probably only by using some private API).

                                  By the way: transparency on pre-10.6 already did use a private API to
                                  disable a window shadow or something like that. So anybody looking
                                  into this problem need to keep the private API option in mind (it may
                                  be the only way to get this to work). Again, the best thing would be
                                  to find some other app that manages to do it and adapt that (obviously
                                  Terminal.app won't be of much help here, unless somebody at Apple were
                                  to give us a hint).

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009

                                    Am 19.11.2009 um 00:21 schrieb Donuts <duffnut@...>:

                                    oops, disregard that, I'll post to the mailing list instead ^^

                                    2009/11/18 Donuts <duffnut@...>
                                    ah, too bad... but that reminds me, Adium has transparency where the title bar isn't affected... but I don't think they're open source.

                                    2009/11/18 René Köcher <shirk87@...>

                                    Am 18.11.2009 um 12:30 schrieb duffnut:

                                    >> I'm guessing the
                                    >> best way to attack this problem is to look around and see if any other
                                    >> app has working transparency code for 10.6 and try to adapt that.
                                    >>
                                    >> Björn
                                    >
                                    > afloat app seems to have figured out transparency in 10.6, might be
                                    > something there worth scavenging? I'm no programmer :( maybe ask the
                                    > afloat's developer?

                                    I'm sorry to tell you this but figuring out transparency is not the problem..

                                    I had a look at this problem for some time now and I did come up with a fix
                                    that enabled a completely transparent vim window (like afloat does).
                                    This was irritating since everything - including the menu and toolbars
                                    was transparent.

                                    What seems broken (or changed) in 10.6 is the feature to have a transparent
                                    View within an otherwise opaque window..

                                    Cheers,
                                    Shirk
                                    BitSpinn.org - don't get twisted up!

                                    Nice one.. Adium has transparency
                                    AND it is Open Source!

                                    Let's all have a look on how they do it!

                                    (>^_^)>

                                    Cheers,
                                    Shirk

                                  • duffnut
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009
                                      Adium? they're open source, and from a quick test their transparency
                                      seems functional in snow leopard!
                                    • Jjgod Jiang
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009
                                        Hi björn,

                                        On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                                        > By the way: transparency on pre-10.6 already did use a private API to
                                        > disable a window shadow or something like that.  So anybody looking
                                        > into this problem need to keep the private API option in mind (it may
                                        > be the only way to get this to work).  Again, the best thing would be
                                        > to find some other app that manages to do it and adapt that (obviously
                                        > Terminal.app won't be of much help here, unless somebody at Apple were
                                        > to give us a hint).

                                        In vim-cocoa I am using exactly the same piece of code (the private API
                                        you mentioned) and transparency works out of box.

                                        I didn't follow this thread lately so I'm not sure what your problem is,
                                        is that related to linking with a specific SDK that could disable the
                                        transparency?

                                        - Jiang

                                      • Jjgod Jiang
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 18, 2009

                                          On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                                          > In vim-cocoa I am using exactly the same piece of code (the private API
                                          > you mentioned) and transparency works out of box.

                                          OK, this patch fixed the transparency problem by setting correct blend mode
                                          (kCGBlendModeCopy instead of kCGBlendModeNormal) before using
                                          CGContextFillRect().
                                          Only for the Core Text renderer though.

                                          - Jiang

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 19, 2009
                                            2009/11/19 Jjgod Jiang:
                                            > On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
                                            >> In vim-cocoa I am using exactly the same piece of code (the private API
                                            >> you mentioned) and transparency works out of box.
                                            >
                                            > OK, this patch fixed the transparency problem by setting correct blend mode
                                            > (kCGBlendModeCopy instead of kCGBlendModeNormal) before using
                                            > CGContextFillRect().
                                            > Only for the Core Text renderer though.

                                            Thanks a bunch Jiang! I can confirm that it works too.

                                            Maybe the problem with the default renderer is due to some change in
                                            NSTextView...? At any rate, the next snapshot will include the Core
                                            Text renderer and I think most people will want to use that instead of
                                            the default renderer anyway, so the transparency issue with the
                                            default renderer may not be that urgent anymore.