Re: Problems with some simbols in MacVim

  • Pablo Giménez
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
      Thanks Israel.
      Just checking seems that in the Mac the spanish keyboard layout is in using the latin encoding rather than unicode. I don't know if this can cause the problem.

      2009/11/11 Israel Chauca Fuentes <israelchauca@...>

      I also use the spanish layout and termencoding is set to utf-8, but I
      don't have any trouble with # or any other key.

      Israel

      --
      Un saludo
      Best Regards

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
        Hi Pablo,

        My replies are a little out of order, I hope you can cope.

        2009/11/11 Pablo Giménez:
        > Just checking seems that in the Mac the spanish keyboard layout is in using
        > the latin encoding rather than unicode. I don't know if this can cause the
        > problem.

        All input that reaches MacVim is Unicode (UTF-16)

        >> > Just checking, now is printing characters but not the proper ones.
        >> > In the spanish layout you have  to press Option(Alt)+3 to get the  #
        >> > symbol.

        No, you have to press Shift+3 to get # using Spanish layout.

        Just open up "Keyboard Viewer" and you can see where all the keys are
        (go to "Input Sources" in the "Language & Text" System Preference
        pane, click "Show Input menu in menu bar", and in the list view tick
        the "Keyboard & Character Viewer" item at the top, then you can open
        the keyboard viewer from the language menu that sits next to the clock
        on the menu bar).

        This option is forcibly set to utf-8 anyway and is ignored, so you
        don't have to set it.

        I don't understand the problem. Please be more specific (step-by-step
        instructions).

        No, that does not sound related.

        No, there is no limitation that I am aware of.

        No, still waiting for a patch. (hint, hint)

      • Pablo Giménez
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2009

          2009/11/11 Pablo Giménez:
          > Just checking seems that in the Mac the spanish keyboard layout is in using
          > the latin encoding rather than unicode. I don't know if this can cause the
          > problem.

          All input that reaches MacVim is Unicode (UTF-16)

          >> > Just checking, now is printing characters but not the proper ones.
          >> > In the spanish layout you have  to press Option(Alt)+3 to get the  #
          >> > symbol.

          No, you have to press Shift+3 to get # using Spanish layout.
          Sorry Bjorn but in the Spanish layout # is Option+3, I am sure, uou you can see it in the keyboard viewer and I type it everyday :)
          If I open the vim shipped with MacOSX from terminal, it recognizes the Option+3 as the # character. So this only affects MacVim.
           But ... after some testing I realized that the problem is that I am using set macmeta, to use some keymaps with the M modifier.
          This seems to cause that MacVim is not passing the Option(alt) modifier properly for some key combinations, like the Option+3.
          Without macmeta the keyboard works perfectly, but I need the macmeta :)

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2009
            2009/11/13 Pablo Giménez:

            >> No, you have to press Shift+3 to get # using Spanish layout.
            >
            > Sorry Bjorn but in the Spanish layout # is Option+3, I am sure, uou you can
            > see it in the keyboard viewer and I type it everyday :)

            Ok, I see that if you use the "Spanish - ISO" layout it is Alt+3. I
            tested with the layout "Spanish" which does use Shift+3. How
            confusing. :-/

            > If I open the vim shipped with MacOSX from terminal, it recognizes the
            > Option+3 as the # character. So this only affects MacVim.
            >  But ... after some testing I realized that the problem is that I am using
            > set macmeta, to use some keymaps with the M modifier.
            > This seems to cause that MacVim is not passing the Option(alt) modifier
            > properly for some key combinations, like the Option+3.
            > Without macmeta the keyboard works perfectly, but I need the macmeta :)

            Sorry, there is nothing I can do about that. Either you let Mac OS X
            interpret Alt-presses ('macmeta' off), or you let Vim handle it
            ('macmeta' on)...you can't have both. My suggestion is to rebind keys
            that use Alt to use e.g. Cmd (<D-..>) instead and turn 'macmeta' off.
            At any rate, there is no bug here.

          • Pablo Giménez
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2009
              2009/11/13 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>

              2009/11/13 Pablo Giménez:

              >> No, you have to press Shift+3 to get # using Spanish layout.
              >
              > Sorry Bjorn but in the Spanish layout # is Option+3, I am sure, uou you can
              > see it in the keyboard viewer and I type it everyday :)

              Ok, I see that if you use the "Spanish - ISO" layout it is Alt+3.  I
              tested with the layout "Spanish" which does use Shift+3.  How
              confusing. :-/

              > If I open the vim shipped with MacOSX from terminal, it recognizes the
              > Option+3 as the # character. So this only affects MacVim.
              >  But ... after some testing I realized that the problem is that I am using
              > set macmeta, to use some keymaps with the M modifier.
              > This seems to cause that MacVim is not passing the Option(alt) modifier
              > properly for some key combinations, like the Option+3.
              > Without macmeta the keyboard works perfectly, but I need the macmeta :)

              Sorry, there is nothing I can do about that.  Either you let Mac OS X
              interpret Alt-presses ('macmeta' off), or you let Vim handle it
              ('macmeta' on)...you can't have both.  My suggestion is to rebind keys
              that use Alt to use e.g. Cmd (<D-..>) instead and turn 'macmeta' off.
              At any rate, there is no bug here.
              Yep I know I have to rebuild some of my shortcuts for the mac.
              Thanks Bjorn

              Un saludo
              Best Regards
              Pablo Giménez