Re: irritating console messages on SL

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
      2009/11/9 Arseni Buinitsky:

      > When launching MacVim via mvim script I get the following messages
      > into stderr (slightly after macvim process forks or something,
      > allowing input but still writing to it):
      >
      > 2009-11-09 20:27:02.196 MacVim[15915:903] Unknown class 'SUUpdater',
      > using 'NSObject' instead. Encountered in Interface Builder file at
      > path /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
      > MainMenu.nib.
      > 2009-11-09 20:27:02.199 MacVim[15915:903] Could not connect the action
      > checkForUpdates: to target of class NSObject
      >
      > Suppose something is wrong...

      Search the archives, e.g.

      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/67c2bb9a1267acd6?pli=1

      I was hoping somebody would come up with some advice on how to solve
      this problem (I got bored with it), but nothing so far...

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
        2009/11/9 björn:
        > 2009/11/9 Arseni Buinitsky:
        >>
        >> When launching MacVim via mvim script I get the following messages
        >> into stderr (slightly after macvim process forks or something,
        >> allowing input but still writing to it):
        >>
        >> 2009-11-09 20:27:02.196 MacVim[15915:903] Unknown class 'SUUpdater',
        >> using 'NSObject' instead. Encountered in Interface Builder file at
        >> path /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
        >> MainMenu.nib.
        >> 2009-11-09 20:27:02.199 MacVim[15915:903] Could not connect the action
        >> checkForUpdates: to target of class NSObject
        >>
        >> Suppose something is wrong...
        >
        > Search the archives, e.g.
        >
        > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/67c2bb9a1267acd6?pli=1
        >
        > I was hoping somebody would come up with some advice on how to solve
        > this problem (I got bored with it), but nothing so far...

        For the time being I've removed the offending object from MainMenu.nib
        so that this warning won't pop up anymore (I would have done this much
        sooner, but Apple in their infinite wisdom have disabled the
        possibility to save ver.2 nib files [which MacVim uses] in the Snow
        Leopard version of Interface Builder so I had to use another computer
        to patch this).

        Just pull the latest version, recompile, and the warning will be gone.

      • Michael Guntsche
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
          On 2009.11.09 20:45:19 , björn wrote:
          > For the time being I've removed the offending object from MainMenu.nib
          > so that this warning won't pop up anymore (I would have done this much
          > sooner, but Apple in their infinite wisdom have disabled the
          > possibility to save ver.2 nib files [which MacVim uses] in the Snow
          > Leopard version of Interface Builder so I had to use another computer
          > to patch this).

          Hello Björn,

          Why not update to Sparkle 1.5b6? I know that it is still labeled as beta
          but a lot of applications are already using it and apparently Andy is
          also telling people to use it instead of the old stable version.
          As an additional plus it already contains a 64bit x86_64 version of the
          library. For testing I just replaced the the framework in the source
          with the new beta and I no longer get any errors.

          Kind regards,
          Michael

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
            2009/11/9 Michael Guntsche:

            > On 2009.11.09 20:45:19 , björn wrote:
            >> For the time being I've removed the offending object from MainMenu.nib
            >> so that this warning won't pop up anymore (I would have done this much
            >> sooner, but Apple in their infinite wisdom have disabled the
            >> possibility to save ver.2 nib files [which MacVim uses] in the Snow
            >> Leopard version of Interface Builder so I had to use another computer
            >> to patch this).
            >
            > Why not update to Sparkle 1.5b6? I know that it is still labeled as beta
            > but a lot of applications are already using it and apparently Andy is
            > also telling people to use it instead of the old stable version.
            > As an additional plus it already contains a 64bit x86_64 version of the
            > library. For testing I just replaced the the framework in the source
            > with the new beta and I no longer get any errors.

            Hi Michael,

            Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem with the 1.5b6
            binary is exactly that it _does_ contain the x86_64 binary -- if you
            try to compile on Tiger, Xcode fails because it does not know how to
            cope with it! (At some stage Xcode tries to strip unnecessary
            information out of the linked binary and at that time it fails.)

            The solution seems to somehow only include Sparkle when building a
            snapshot, but I have yet to come up with a good way to accomplish
            this.