Re: Simple Environment Questions

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
      On Oct 9, 5:26 pm, Tyson Roberts <nallo...@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Bjorn, that's exactly what I needed!
      > (Was trying to detect both if and what gui vim was running in so that I
      > could do some custom things on each platform/environment.)
      > - Tyson
      > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > > 2009/10/9 Tyson Roberts:
      > > > How does one go about detecting whether vim was executed from within
      > > > MacVim/gvim/in a command terminal?
      > > > I'm trying to come up with a robust, relocatable vimrc framework at this
      > > > point, now that I'm working on windows/mac/linux simultaneously.
      > > > Also, anyone know a simple test to see if a g:fred variable has been
      > > defined
      > > > or not?  I'm having trouble with that one (and kind of embarrassed I
      > > haven't
      > > > found the answer after all these years). -_-
      > > Hi Tyson,
      > > I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but have you tried
      > > if has("gui_macvim")
      > > The help on ":h feature-list" and ":h has()" may be of help.
      > > Björn

      Yes: I'm not sure about MacVim but I know that the various flavours of
      "X11 Vim" can run either in GUI mode or in Console mode with a single
      executable, and that in that case the ":gui" command allows to go from
      Console to GUI at any time after startup. So you may have to note the
      differences between

      compiled with GUI support
      etc.: compiled with a certain GUI flavour (see them all under ":help
      either running in GUI mode, or (during startup) about to start the

      I'm not sure whether has('gui_mac') is TRUE or FALSE in MacVim, nor
      exactly to which Macintosh OSes it corresponds (GUI for any MacOS? for
      MacOS9 or lower? other?). It is possible for more than one of the
      gui_* features to be satisfied in a single executable: for instance
      mine (Linux GUI for GTK2/Gnome2) answers 1 to all three of has
      ('gui_gtk'), has('gui_gtk2') and has('gui_gnome').

      Also, when the GUI is started (be it during startup or, in the case of
      a GUI executable with Console-mode support, possibly later in response
      to the ":gui" command), it sources the system gvimrc (if found),
      your .gvimrc or _gvimrc (on Unix-like systems, .gvimrc is tried first,
      then _gvimrc if not found; on Dos-like systems it's the opposite), and
      runs the autocommands for the GUIEnter event (provided, of course,
      that it is compiled with the +autocmd feature, which, for a GUI-
      enabled Vim, is usually the case).

      The locations where Vim looks for the system gvimrc and for the user
      [._]gvimrc are mentioned near the middle of the output of the
      ":version" command. These locations may be modified at compile-time;
      if they aren't, the system gvimrc is $VIM/gvimrc (with no dot or
      underscore) and the user .gvimrc is $HOME/.gvimrc (and Vim tries an
      underscore if it doesn't find it with a dot, or vice-versa on Dos/
      Windows). To know what these environment variables mean to Vim, type
      ":echo $VIM" or ":echo $HOME" (without the double quotes in both
      cases, of course) in a running Vim.

      Best regards,
      180. You maintain more than six e-mail addresses.